Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Donations for Hurricane Katrina relief?

Pages: 1 19 replies

I'm sitting here watching CNN coverage of the Hurricane Katrina damage, and I was remembering when the Tsunami hit at Christmas, Purple Jade was one of the first TC artists to put her stuff on EBay and donate the proceeds to the relief efforts.

PJ may not be able to get back to her home for weeks, and who knows what will be there when she is able to return. Word is her home may be under 15 feet of water. Hopefully when PJ is able to get back to TC she'll see and be able to accept some of the offers of help from the Ohana.

In the meantime, take a minute and make a donation to the Red Cross, donate today's EBay proceeds, pass the hat at the tiki bar, and vow to put in an order with Purple Jade the day she gets back to work, she's going to need our support.

I don't mean to leave any TC folks who may also be affected by the Hurricane out, I just know Purple Jade, and I know she is evacuated and won't be able to get home anytime soon. I hope anyone out there who has friends or family that are affected by this are ok, or will be soon.

The Pineapples

D

All excellent ideas Mrs. Pineapple!

We'll be passing the hat at my bar for sure. Let's all hope for the best.

I've found that donations to tons of major charity organizations, including the Salvation Army, Red Cross, United Way, Humane Society and so forth can all be made through:

http://www.networkforgood.org

Their current Hurricane Katrina page has links to help local chapters of larger charities directly, too. Check it out:

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/

D

Those are super ideas.I wanted to bring something up that I don't wish to be upsetting.With all this coverage on the devestation,has anyone heard anything about other countries coming on board to lend us a hand?Shoot,the US is always right there for others when hardship hits.I hope I've just been missing this kind of offer of assistance.

P

I read that Venezuela has offered aid and oil. I don't know if it was a serious offer or not.

I'd really like to keep politics and jokes out of this. I'm not trying to stir anything up, I was thinking of PJ and any other TC members who may be affected by this disaster.

Anyway - The more I see of what's happening down there, the more thankful I am that I only live in earthquake country. Hopefully Purple Jade will be able to salvage some of her beautiful, fun jewelry and get back on her feet.

H

I'm also eager to help our TC 'ohana. Purple Jade in particular has been in my thoughts a lot today, and I know there are others who have been impacted, too. (I wish I knew who all was in harms way, I know about tiki410, who else???) I know these are going to be some very tough times, logistically, emotionally, and financially. I hope that when the time comes that it has become more clear what the situation is, we'll be able to band together to lend a meaningful & helpful hand to our friends.

E

I hope Purple Jade and any other TC people affected by this are safe.

I have a friend in New Orleans who was planning a huge get together for a bunch of us at the end of September and that has been called off so it's touched my life in a direct way.

She has headed to another state to avoid the flooding and I have offered her a place to stay (but I'm way up in WA, so I'm not the closest or most practical choice). It's just an awful, devastating situation all around to suddenly become homeless even if it is temporary.

The scary part is that her mother and her sister did NOT leave the state and they have yet to connect and communicate...imagine how stressful that would be. So keep the good thoughts, energies, prayers and support coming for all the people of New Orleans.

D

Suzywong is also from new Orlean and Beaches, but she is baton Rouge. Thinking about you all!

I may be missing a few of the Ohana here, but the following TC'ers are from the Louisiana area:

• PurpleJade
  • SuzyWong
  • Beachin
  • TikiFilippi
  • D.Ooga
  • FreekiTiki
  • Showtime
  • PegTiki
  • Sazerac(?)
  • Nolahini
  • GypsyTiki
  • Tiki410
  • CallMeBwana
  • Sirginn (Louisana native, might still have family there?)
  • SciGirl (Louisiana native, might still have family there?)

As others have stated, our thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Thoughts and prayers go out from all of us at the Fraternal Order of Moai, If anyone knows of a charity of fund that will directly help out the Tiki folks that have been affected please post somthing and let everyone know.
I realise that it would be a hard thing to help out a handful of individuals when so many are suffering... but who knows.
Please contact either myself or KuKuAhu and let us know
Rustbeltcat,
Von Yinzer of the FOM

PI

Don't forget your furry friends either:

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

A lot of people tried to ride out the storm because the shelters wouldn't accept their pets.

If anybody wants to help raise a little money for the relief effort and possibly go home with a cool tiki come down to our parking lot party. Here's the link:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16301&forum=4&2
I hope they are all ok out there! What a nightmare!

I hope PJ and all the TC folks affected by this tragedy are safe!!!
Donating to the Red Cross is a great way to help as they coordinate and assist local relief organizations as well assist the people caught in this disaster. One of the many important things they do during a disaster is provide a registry so that family members can contact each other.
I'd certainly would participate in any effort by us TC folk to help out too!

M

Our thoughts are with friends (direct and extended) in Louisiana and region right now. I have a few I still can't reach...and I shudder to think. This devastation commands our attention, and I want to do my part to help.

We too will participate in eBay auctions (haven't listed in awhile, this would be a damn good reason to start), and any other way we can help out.

Thank you all for the links and helpful information on how we can get involved.

And remember also, this Labor Day, those foot soldiers in the Red Cross, Armed Forces, and like organizations, our civil servants, and community leaders, who always step out to give a helping hand in times of crisis as a matter of duty and honor. They need our thoughts and strength and financial support, so they can be strong to help others in need. I hope this statement isn't considered political, but more humanitarian. That is my intention.

Rae and Jamio

On 2005-08-30 16:16, docwoods wrote:
Those are super ideas.I wanted to bring something up that I don't wish to be upsetting.With all this coverage on the devestation,has anyone heard anything about other countries coming on board to lend us a hand?Shoot,the US is always right there for others when hardship hits.I hope I've just been missing this kind of offer of assistance.

Canadian leaders, agencies stand by to help U.S.

canada rocks! thx for the infoz tw

"The United States has received aid offers from dozens of countries and international organizations since the deadly Hurricane Katrina swept through southern part the country earlier this week, the State Department said on Thursday.

"We have received general offers of assistance, as well as somemore specific offers of assistance, from a number of different countries and organizations, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told a news briefing.

The countries that have offered US assistance include Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, Britain, Holland, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, and the United Arab Emirates. "

Speaking as a Brit, I know there is a huge amount of sympathy over here, especially as the news seems to worsen rather than get better. I guess there hasn't been a mass rush to our wallets as everyone assumed the US would be able to roll out a big plan and help everyone out much sooner. Also, George Bush appeared on TV saying that while donations were welcome, they were not necessary. Back when the Tsunami happened, India refused aid in the same way, so everyone gave to the other countries affected.

Anyway, giving to organisations like the Red Cross is always a good decision!

Trader Woody

M

This is from Volkswagen credit;

"VCI Defers Payments for Hurricane Katrina Victims

SEP 02, 2005 | Source: VWCredit | Author: Cicely Holland

Please see the attached press release sent from VW Credit, Inc. to aid customers affected by Hurricane Katrina.

If there are any customer questions, inquires you receive from Audi Financial Services, Volkswagen Credit, or Bentley Financial Services customers, please direct them to the numbers listed below:

o Audi Financial Services - 888-237-2834
o Volkswagen Credit - 800-428-4034
o Bentley Financial Services - 877-237-3878 "

Pages: 1 19 replies