Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIKI restaurant in North Hollywood, CA question

Pages: 1 15 replies

P

In the 70's I used to go to a small TIKI restaurant inside an indoor mall in North Hollywood, CA. They served these hamburger pockets called "Chubbies" and they had all those blue foamy drinks in big bowls. The whole place was decorated very TIKI. Does anyone remember this place and the name? I can't for the life of me remember the name.
Thanks for your help!

V

Are you talking about the tahitian on ventura blvd. by laural cyn.?

P

I'm not sure if that was the name. It was a place inside the Laurel Plaza indoor mall in North Hollywood. You would order at the counter. It had tiki decorations all over the place. It was located right next door to a pet shop called Safari Pets.

K
kiara posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2005 11:56 AM

that was def. the tahitian.It was torn down in the late 80's early 90's.David Lynch(in an interview) said that was his favorite restaurant.I'll try and post some pictures.

P

Oh, I would LOVE to see pictures! That was my favorite place to go when I was a kid in the 70's. So unique. Most people don't even remember it, let alone the name. Thanks so much for your help!

H

Ditto on the pics sentiment here, kiara, I'd love to learn more about this place.

P

That doesn't sound right to me. Laurel Plaza is on Laurel Cyn but not on Ventura. It is north of the freeway and is still there today as far as I know. I have only been inside Laurel Plaza maybe once in my life and I don't remember this restaurant.

Kiara do you have photos? I want to see.

I too would enjoy seeing pictures of this mythical tiki establishment.

K
kpc posted on Sat, Jan 13, 2007 6:13 PM

On 2005-08-31 02:06, Pezgirl wrote:
In the 70's I used to go to a small TIKI restaurant inside an indoor mall in North Hollywood, CA. They served these hamburger pockets called "Chubbies" and they had all those blue foamy drinks in big bowls. The whole place was decorated very TIKI. Does anyone remember this place and the name? I can't for the life of me remember the name.
Thanks for your help!

I hung out at the Lural Plaza Mall growing up as a kid & in my tennage year ! The Tiki place you are talking about was several differnt names through the years. It also had closed down once or a few times. It was one of three places to eat in the mall. There was the TIKI place, Pablos Kitchen, & Orange Julius. I went Ice Skateing there from the age of 8yrs old to my teens.(I'm 43now so you do the math) I played Ice Hockey there ! We were called the North Hollywood Buins. There was two old guys Name Hank Norwood, & Horward Agnew that were the old time hockey guys running the hockey club there ! Hey if any of you reading this use to hang out there please get in touch. I sometimes think about the kids that hung out there & the many friends I had there. Ones I hung out with for years & years ! The guys I played Ice Hockey with ? The people that worked at the Ice Capades Chalet ? I have great memories of that place. It brings chills a bit ! haha Well if you were there please post ? Email !
Later
Kevin

B

On 2007-01-13 18:13, kpc wrote:

On 2005-08-31 02:06, Pezgirl wrote:
Thanks for your help!

I hung out at the Lural Plaza Mall growing up as a kid & in my tennage year ! The Tiki place you are talking about was several differnt names through the years. It also had closed down once or a few times. It was one of three places to eat in the mall. There was the TIKI place, Pablos Kitchen, & Orange Julius. I went Ice Skateing there from the age of 8yrs old to my teens.(I'm 43now so you do the math) I played Ice Hockey there ! We were called the North Hollywood Buins. There was two old guys Name Hank Norwood, & Horward Agnew that were the old time hockey guys running the hockey club there ! Hey if any of you reading this use to hang out there please get in touch. I sometimes think about the kids that hung out there & the many friends I had there. Ones I hung out with for years & years ! The guys I played Ice Hockey with ? The people that worked at the Ice Capades Chalet ? I have great memories of that place. It brings chills a bit ! haha Well if you were there please post ? Email !
Later
Kevin

I was a rink rat from around 1977 to 1980 (I think). I'm pretty sure it was Wednesday nights and Friday nights. I remember Michelle Rush (The Gruesome Twosome), Sandy Kubiak, Lori Dee, Lori Cohen, Janine Breskin, Karen Cantor, Danny Lord, Sean Silber, David Schulman... Mostly people from Walter Reed. I remember long sleeve Val-Surf shirts and White over-alls and down jackets. Speed and Hockey - Rock and Roll, Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang...
I remember mexican pizzas at the restaurant next door.

C
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.