Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mauna Loa Fertility Goddess find

Pages: 1 25 replies

Aloha,

I was doing some thrifting this last weekend when I came across this mug. My heart stopped.

"HOT DAMN!!", I thought at first. A fertility goddess mug!!! Then I looked closer and realized it was not the goddess mug after all (like the one on page 20 of TikiQuest). But, it was damn close.

The price was right so I picked it up anyway...
Does anybody have any info on this piece? Is this a common statue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, that is a mini James Bond posing next to her.. I forgot he was hiding there when I took the pics. What a glory hog!

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-09-02 15:13 ]

Damn!

great find Mach... if I am correct, that is similar to a mug that was used at a Mauna Loa restaurant (not the Detroit location... Mexico maybe?) the only difference being a small silk-screened logo on the base. I had a photo of it but it was lost in The Great Computer Virus of Last Week.

Hope that helps a little.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-08-31 16:49 ]

H

It rings Mexico City Mauna Loa bells for me... puamana's got the menu, which has artist's renderings of the mugs, but the images from the menu that I have in Critiki don't show a mug like this one. I could have sworn that there was one similar to this, and the mugs used by the Mauna Loa appear to be fairly unique to that location, it's entirely possible that one of the pages from the menu that I don't have images of depicts the mug that's like this. I can't quite make out the sticker on the underside... do you think it's possible that it's a label from the mug manufacturer?

I'd say ya' done good MachTiki, real good.
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

Fantastic! Thanks for a starting point.

I'm still not sure it's anything at all. It's wierd, it is a mug or vase, but the traslation says: "Fine Ceramic Toys and Gifts", and I did find an artist named Enrique Guerra from San Antonio. I guess my next step will be to see if there is a connection with Enrique to the Mauna Loa restaurant.

Thanks again and any more info would be great!

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-09-01 09:25 ]

H

Did a little more research -- Diag. San Antonio is a street in Mexico City. Couldn't find a 1684, but finding addresses in Mexico City can be difficult, doesn't mean it's not there (or wasn't there at some point). It would be great if we've figured out who did the mugs for the Mauna Loa!

M

Humu. Thanks for the extra help!

On 2005-09-01 09:42, Humuhumu wrote:
It would be great if we've figured out who did the mugs for the Mauna Loa!

Duuuuuuke

T

Yes, that is most certainly the Mauna Loa mug design, I have one just like it but their logo is carved into the bottom. The glaze is slightly different than my mug, the piece pictured shows the detail better than the one I’ve got, but it’s the same color, same sculpture.
I own another piece from the Mauna Loa Mexico it’s a total knock off of the Ren Clark New Guinea (coffee?) mug, same mug but the detail is all gone.
Perhaps the guys who made this mug were making the mugs for the Mauna Loa or just stole the design?

Hope that helps, my very best Alohas

Bosko

M

Bosko to the rescue. Mahaloz for all the info!!! It's very much appreciated.

H

Alright! That's awesome to hear -- the Mexico City Mauna Loa has entranced me. The menu is one of my favorites, I got a chance to enjoy it all over again when at puamana's house a couple weeks ago. I've only seen a couple of the mugs before, and never in person, but the fabulous art on the menu makes them appear to be very, very cool:

I think this image depicts the other mug that Bosko is talking about (correct me if my memory has failed me!), and that snake is another one of their mugs. I've never seen that one, puamana used to have one, but if it's just 1/5 as cool as that rendering, then it's a beaut.

Congrats on an excellent find, MachTiki!

NEAT! NEAT! NEAT!

Cool mug, great menu!
Thanks everyone.

On 2005-09-01 13:38, Humuhumu wrote:
Alright! That's awesome to hear -- the Mexico City Mauna Loa has entranced me. The menu is one of my favorites, I got a chance to enjoy it all over again when at puamana's house a couple weeks ago. I've only seen a couple of the mugs before, and never in person, but the fabulous art on the menu makes them appear to be very, very cool:

I think this image depicts the other mug that Bosko is talking about (correct me if my memory has failed me!), and that snake is another one of their mugs. I've never seen that one, puamana used to have one, but if it's just 1/5 as cool as that rendering, then it's a beaut.

Congrats on an excellent find, MachTiki!

Beautiful menu, when is Ooga Menu coming for posting our favorite menus on? And Ooko Mooga for our favorite Hats? :P

Actually, a Tiki Paper & Ephemera site sounds like a good idea.

H

I'm a HUGE ephemera fan, it's definitely in the expansion plans for Ooga-Mooga!

M

Here are a few items from the Mauna Loa in Mexico:

Row 1: Slightly different version of the Black Fertility Tiki. The back side of this one does not have the cool swirlys that MachTiki's has...but it does have the Mauna Loa Logo. Also, here is a matchbook from the restaurant.

Row 2: This is the New Guinea Handled Mug that Bosko mentioned and that is portrayed on the menu that Humuhumu posted. 2 different glaze variations with nice detail. Bottom is clearly marked in the mold.

Row 3: Same New Guinea Handled Mugs with much less detail and different glaze variations. Hand-written markings on the bottoms.

I also have photos of both of these mugs with Ren Clark markings. So, likely there is some connection between the manufacturers used by Ren Clark and Mauna Loa. I've never seen it but maybe Mauna Loa used the Severed Head Mug as well...?

ModMana :drink:

I have the handled mug from the Mauna Loa with the handpainted marking on the bottom. The color is very dark brown, almost black. When I bought it at Goodwill, there was also a fertility goddess mug there. I think it had the fancy curlicues on the back but no other markings at all, so I wasn't sure if it was Mauna Loa as well or not. I didn't pick it up and of course I'm kicking myself now.

I love that handled mug SDT, great find!
He has such a cool and different face.
I have a little list of things I regularly kick myself over. BAD Shani!
If you have an inckling, buy it if you can. You can always return it!

Ahh, every time I see images of neat/not frequently seen stuff I get excited like a school girl all over again.

H

Thanks for sharing pictures of your mugs, guys! I've put information on the Mauna Loa mugs (the ones I know about, at least) in Ooga-Mooga. Ah, do I love tiki history!

And MachTiki started out disappointed... :)

M

On 2005-09-02 14:00, Humuhumu wrote:
And MachTiki started out disappointed... :)

True, true. Like Tikiwahine said, "If you have an inckling, buy it if you can". I knew it wasn't the mug in TikiQuest, but I didn't know it was still a mug from a Tiki bar.

I appreciate all the input everyone gave. I can safely say you've made my month!!!

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-09-02 14:13 ]

P

Here's some pics of the drink menu from the Mauna Loa :

neat!!!!

THANK YOU Puamana!!

The fonts - the water rings, everything is so cool about that menu.

K
kiara posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2005 4:31 PM

heres a photo of the interior.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/ragell/monaloa.jpg

[ Edited by: kiara 2005-09-03 16:44 ]

WOW Kiara that is so rad. Where did you get that photo from? I have NEVER seen the interior!

So, I was thrifting last week and found this strange tiki goddess mug. Today I finally googled it and found this thread and the ooga mooga link.

notice the seperation of the arms from her body.

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-04-18 18:32 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 10:14 PM

Mesmerized by the beauty of that fertility goddess... Thanks for Sharing.

M

With great regret... I'm selling this mug. Thanks for looking!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120712646899&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

M

Ends soon! Thanks again for looking. Please check out my other auctions as well.

Pages: 1 25 replies