Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage Tiki Photos from Hawaii - 1966 (warning: large images)

Pages: 1 14 replies

I purchased a group of vacation slides from Hawaii, sight unseen, on eBay a few months back. Six canisters full to be exact. There were some really beautiful images in the collection. The photographer had meticulously written a description and date on each slide, so they were well-documented - a rarity in collecting old images.

A few were marked something like "New tikis carved, City of Refuge". I was describing them to Filslash and he said, "Oh yeah. That happened in 1966." I looked at the slides and sure enough, there was a date of 1966 on them. Fil really knows his Hawaiian History folks!

In thanks for Fil sending me such nice care-packages in the past, and knowing that he would appreciate them much more than me, I sent the slides on to Filslash in Hawaii. In return, he had several of them painstakingly converted to jpeg files and sent them back. These we share with you now:

First, the new tikis being carved in The City of Refuge, 1966:

There were several slides from the Coco Palms hotel. Neither Filslash or I had ever seen this hotel-room interior on a postcard. Just look at those fabulous lamps:

(a larger image can be seen here)
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/albums/album03/ael.jpg

And finally, a nice old view of Waikiki Beach.

Fil is going to work at getting more images converted to jpegs (it takes 35-40 minutes per image) and hopefully we'll have more to share soon. Thanks again, Filslash!

Sabu

T
Thomas posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 1:58 PM

I LOVE stuff like this, thanks for sharing the images! Given the clothing and hairstyles, I kept expecting McGarrett and Danno to burst on the scene, shouting, "Get down! Those tikis are filled with explosives!"

Joking aside, excellent stuff, and thanks again.

H

Those chieftain headdress lamps are great. Thanks for posting these!

B

Excellent pictures, Thanks big time for taking the time to do this.

T

Amazing. More! More!

T

It's amazing to see what the inside of the CocoPalms looked like.
The other images are fantastic, too. Keep them coming!!!
If it's a big time commitment, I'll be happy with one per week!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid I may have inadvertantly committed Filslash into a lot of work. He's trying to get his own slide scanner so he doesn't have to use his friend's. It may take a while before he has another batch - just wanted to keep expectations down a bit.

Benzart - I thought of you immediately when I saw that first slide. I'm impressed with the amount of detail that came out on Fil's scan. I love the bed of wood chips that the tiki is resting in, and the squared-off logs being used as a cradle and the rounder log that may have been used as what - a roller maybe? That is one massive tiki there.

Sabu

Sabu and fils THANK YOU these images are too cool

I love the in progress picture of the tiki being carved
Thank you for sharing!

OL

It's like stepping into a time machine to see such clear images! Thanks so much!

Ditto everything that's been said!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:02 ]

In addition to tiki, I like to look for vintage Hawaiian photos. I picked 18 different ones up today, however, I liked this one the best...

I call this "A Boy and His Tiki".

PTD

Q
QPQ posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 12:45 PM

Thanks for sharing those. Very interesting to me, especially since we got to visit the Place of Refuge for the first time last year.

Take care,
Ron

B

On 2008-03-07 12:45, QPQ wrote:
Thanks for sharing those. Very interesting to me, especially since we got to visit the Place of Refuge for the first time last year.

Take care,
Ron

Wouldn't it be funny if this little boy is a member of TC!

B

WOW how cool!!!!

is it just me, or do those tikis look like KOA wood????

thanks for sharing!

bT

Pages: 1 14 replies