Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"Treasures of Polynesia" show in So Cal.

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

I just finished setting up my tiki art show at the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona and I'm quite pleased with the outcome .I'm fortunate to be chosen to have a million people look at my new carvings and the live carving shows I will be doing on Sundays .
I want to add that the floral displays and the polynesian decorating are worth the trip also . I was totally blown away as I walked into the Flower and Garden building. I'm ready to set up a tiki hut and move in right now !They also have a outdoor patio garden complete with fountains and ponds inside a simulted rainforest . You really have to check it out for yourself . Hope to see you there. Tiki-Ray

Tiki-Ray listed the times for his live carving demonstrations in a previous post.

I'm planning on meeting up with Tiki-Kate at the 1:30 show on Sunday the 11th. If anyone else will be there that day, try to come on by!

The theme Treasures of Polynesia was beautifully executed this year at the LA County Fair.

There's tiki everywhere.

The entrance to the Garden Pavilion

Inside the Pavilion

In the gardens

Tiki-Ray

There were some vendors selling tikis also. Tiki Ware, Island Tikis and a few others had booths.

Wow. Thanks for the photo-tour!! I sure hope I can get out to the Fair this year....Sundays are tough for me - but - I promise you Ray - I'll do my best!! The display/show looks terrrrific!!

T

I want to formally thank Tiki Kate for posting my pics at the LA county fair . Its a huge success for me and the fair . Yesterday it was in the paper , I had a great day doing live carving for the guests and then I get home to see that she already posted pics for me on an earlier thread about "Treasures of Polynesia ". Thanks for supporting me Kate . Tiki-Ray

You're welcome.

I had a great time at the Fair, and I really enjoyed your demonstration. It was informative and fun. You made it seem like anybody could carve a tiki. I just wish that I could have stuck around to see the finished product. How'd he turn out?

T

It turned out great and I got a lot of compliments . I then started demontrating flower work and the women were loving it . Thanks again for your support , Tiki-ray

My wife and I made it out to the fair on the 18th and had a chance to meet Ray and check out his live tiki carving. Nice guy and very cool tikis. This guy was working hard!

Explaining carving techniques, answering questions, talking to family and friends, talking shop with fellow wood workers and, oh yeah, carving the whole time to get done by a certain deadline on a warm day. We were impressed. Good luck Ray, hope your efforts reward you with a ton of tiki orders.

T

Thanks for the compliments Jim .I love doing this in front of an audience. My family see's this stuff all the time so its kinda nice that I can share this with people that are afraid of making their own tiki.They kept telling me that they thought that they might ruin it,. I just kept telling them that it dosen't have to be perfect , it's a TIKI !They are supposed to be a little off or different . That's what gives them character . Anyway I had a lot of fun and I still have 2 more Sundays to go. Thanks again , Tiki-Ray

Great work. And it looks like you're having a real party too!
I tried to look up "maintaining chainsaws" in "Creating Tiki", but didn't see much.
Any tips on how to keep that busy guy sharp (and in shape) after so much carving?

T
  1. Never throw away your owners manual. They have the specs. on your saw,How to maintain , adjust and fine tune your saw.
  2. Keep your oil resevoir full and check it after 15 minutes of run time . (Lubrication is your friend )It not only keeps the saw running true with no hangups but also protects your chain bar from excessive wear.
  3. Never dip the tip of a running saw in dirt , gravel , concrete etc.
    4.Keep your chain tension properly maintained . After you run the saw a few minutes , the chain heats up from friction which expands the chain a little and loosens the tension .
  4. I do a lot of carving so I just end up buying a new blade twice a year. To sharpen it and try to get it perfect is very time consuming if you dont know what your doing .Manufacturers can crank one out for and it will only cost you $15 to $20. Just remember a sharp blade is safer than a dull one and slow down and let the tool do the work .( Don't crowd the motor which means don't push too hard . It puts excess wear on the bearings inside . )
    6 . Enjoy
    Tiki-Ray

Mahalo mucho loa.
That was exactly what I needed before I burn out my saw, or injure myself.
I can't wait to get back to California in December and see Bamboo Ben's and all of the Tiki carvings I've been hearing about. Where can I scope out your stuff? You're all such a talented bunch over on the West coast.
I wish we had as much going on here in Hawaii.

T

Right now all of my stuff is at the show at the fair and will be for sale right after(Oct. 3rd). I live in Rancho Cucamonga near San Bernardino. Write me an e-mail at tikiray.com and I can show you what I have.
Tiki-Ray (909) 210-3390

Pages: 1 12 replies