Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

thor's new pirate series sneak preview for tc

Pages: 1 16 replies

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 9:23 PM

This was just painted in Hawaii while I was doing shows these past few weeks in the Galeries. The Original was promised to the new Michael Goddard G~~~ery in Key West for sales. There will be a limited number of Giclee's and prints avilable soon. Hope you enjoy this and the more to come!!

The current work is the Pirate theme piece titled. "...Another Man's Treasure"

The title comes from the old saying, "What is one man's junk is another man's treasure!" In this sinario.., "junk" became precious materials for survival. It also is parity on pirates taking another man's treasure, ofcourse. In this case. the story illustrates a lesson on how values change in different circumstances in life.

In the picture, you will see a little structure...full of charm and pirate flavor that is on a beach. Constructed out of the salvage from the inhabitors wrecked ship the carcus of the ship is seen just outside the breakers with only some wooden ribs and the bow showing. It was obviously wrecked on the rocks during a storm or some mishap. . Pieces of the ship,windows, boards and a pirate flag as an awning shade create a little shack.

A treasure chest is spilled on its side. the treasure is partly visible but fading into the sand. The use for this chest now is as a table. where we see a knife stuck in the surface next to a plate with a fish skeleton on it. The chest is more valuable now as this eating surface than anything else. What good is gold on a desert Isle? Behind this on the side of the shack we see the marks carved in the shack exterior....made to count the days or months lost on this island.

We see rum bottles strewn everywhere in the sand...even woven into the structure...and husked coconuts. This along with fish from the sea is his sole diet. Lots to look at...a slightly stormy sky with huge cumulous clouds in rose and violet.

I am glad to be back in LA for a few months to paint my butt off for November shows and look forward to hearing the great stuff happening here on TC!! I was able to see some of you at the "Tiki's and Terrors" show at the Stuart G~~~ey last night!! GREAT WORK THERE!!! Special hello to Dave K., Tim Gore and Johnny the pinstriper!!! It was fun sippin/ Red Rum concoctions and talking!!

Warm Aloha's!!! THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2005-09-04 21:28 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's 2005-09-04 21:29 ]

I like the telescope up in the crow's nest. I love it all.

FA

Your work continues to be amazing as ever.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 5:41 AM

Hey dude! Again, your art blows me away. Love it.

T
THOR's posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 6:35 AM

Thanks ..very much!! Hey Hewey!!..I need to catch up on your latest pastel adventures!!! hope you are still having as much fun as you were this past spring!!!! stay in touch

Thor: sweet, sweet painting! i loves the pirates! let me know when prints are available.

THOR Rocks!

Mrs. Boo and I cruized by the THOR store for the opening, met the master and checked our his killer stash.
Detailed to the max!! His location is da kine! And, he's a super cool cat!

We were on vacation so we hit a couple of happy hours on the way and didn't stay to long. We did run into Gecko though. We had a nice conversation (oooh yahhh! Paradise man!!). Fil was MIA.

Looking forward to THORS new inland isle ideas. We picked up one of his past Gecko prints. Spam/Spa. I thought it was cute.

SF

Thor, love the painting.
Your work is amazing!

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2006 6:48 PM

I love to escape into these. I draw surealistic stuff dealing mostly with music as the main theme, but Thor's stuff blows me away everytime I look at a new piece.

Maghalo

Mc

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2006 7:39 PM

I am very thankful for the your support!!!

Thanks to you both. I hope to share a lot of ideas here and get all of your feedback. I withdrew for a while from here and just did my own thing. However, my original intent here is always to get the thoughts and support of those who are true Tiki spirited types. There is great passion in this simple concept of rum, tiki and great friends...and from that, I get inspired to make art. This is all I choose to celebrate.

Warmest Aloha's my friends..can't wait to share a cold Mai Tai soon!!

On 2006-07-09 19:39, THOR's wrote:
There is great passion in this simple concept of rum, (aka beer), tiki and great friends...and from that, I get inspired to make art.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 10, 2006 7:24 PM

I have your work as my wallpaper on my work computer - takes me away from the office :)

One day Ill get a big detailed print... :)

man that is pretty amazing. i love it.

B

YES,Your art looks good on these pages. We have missed you and glad you are back. What other goodies have you brought to share with us. Welcome back, Thor's, come on in and make yourself at home.

T

ALOHA BENZ!!

HEY, I was saying a few weeks ago to a customer at the "STOR" that I really always REALLY enjoyed seeing your one of a kind creations all the time here on TC!! I know you have a great following already and in no need of more workload but please let us know(Max,the Thor Stor manager or I )if you would ever like to showcase some of your work in Waikiki. We want to be associated with other one of a kind craftsmen and kind Tiki carvers without the "mass produced" over seas look as much as possible. Your creativity is always truly refreshing!

Anyways, other than that, I am really enjoying being part of this Ohana on TC. Keep carving buddy!!! I am back in LA for a few months to paint and this week, designing Tiki mug concepts to break the painting monotany. I will post some fun concept sketches soon for feedback from you all...it keeps me motivated since it gets lonely in my studio playing the same Martin Denny CD's over and over.......and over!!

~~THOR

B

Thanks Thor, I would Love to have some BenZart stuff in your store. I am a bit behind now but when I get my List caught up we can certainly do something..
keep up the excellent work.

T

OK, Sounds great Benz!

Let me know when your ready! Have a great week!!

~~THOR

Pages: 1 16 replies