Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TikiJosh's Carvings (Tiki #2 Updated)

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

Hi to everyone.
Since everyone's showing off all their great stuff, here's some of mine:
First, a tiki bar that my brother and I built back in 2003. It's in my apartment, now. Sweet.

Here's the very first carving I did, he's about a year old now. The pattern is loosely based on the warrior tiki mug from tiki farm:

And here's the guy I've been working on this summer:

The mouth I stole from some of Shag's tikis. The eye design is from a hawaiian design I saw in "Night of the Tiki".
I've always thought the rhinestone tikis from CocoJoe's were the coolest, so I wanted to do something similar with this one when he's finished, like put a ruby in his belly button:

I love the stuff you guys all post, it certainly has been inspiring!!!

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2005-09-06 16:56 ]

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-01-16 11:09 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 7:04 AM

Welcome to TC! SOunds like you got it bad :) Youll fit right in!

One problem, the pics arent workin for me. Anyone else gettin em?

TG

No, but it sounds nice........

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 8:54 AM

red x tikis are cool too. Welcome to TC. You'll figure it out.

Mahalo

B

I imagine the tikis are nice. You are linking to Yahoo pages which will not work. Open a free account at Shutterfly
http://www.shutterfly.com/home/signin_member.jsp
Upload your pictures there and link them. They allow you to post links on other web pages, yahoo does not.. Other than that it looks like you have everything else right.
Welcome to TC.

T

Stupid Yahoo. I linked to shutterfly, so that should be fixed. Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have caught it since the pics displayed for me.

B

They will display for as long as it takes their server to realize whats going on then it shuts it down. there are not many that will let you post links to their pages.
I'm still waiting for more TIKI???

T

yeah, bummer. Classes started up this week, so I've been pretty swamped. I think I might be able to work on Tiki #2 (still in progress) a bit more this weekend. I'm trying to clear away the wood at the base to make legs/feet, so that's sort of slow going since I don't have much more than some chisels to do it with. Still, I think it'll be worth it in the end and he'll be looking pretty bitchin'!!!

I've been working on that second tiki for a while this past week, and here's what I've got:

and the view from the side:

I decided to change what I was doing with this fellow, and started carving him like a full body. Make actual legs and all that. I had a heck of a time getting that log levelled.
When I look at him, I think I want to work on the front part of the legs/feet more. How much wood can you take away and still have it be stable? I also think I'm gonna finish rounding off the head. Does anyone have other suggestions?
Sanding in the cuts has been a real pain. I've been using a rasp for a lot of the finishing, followed by sandpaper, but I can't the rasp in some of those cuts. Any suggestions?

KK

Aloha cuz!
Nice tiki bar brah! keep up the good work, make some time for da kine and youll have buggah #2 done in no time!

Post some more progress pics too brah and listen to bruddah Ben! He's a master carver for the ages and da bruddah always knows best!

Malama Pono!

J

You do have determination. Cutting, then rasping, then sanding it smooth. That is not easy, especially as deep as you are going. Keep showing us the goods.
JP

T

Aloha and thanks for the kind words. I figure just keep sanding away, it'll eventually look the way I want it to. Can't go wrong with that, anyway.
Kaha Ki'i-- I seen some of your stuff before, and it looks awesome. Maybe I'll get lucky and my wife will get me something cool for graduation!

B

We usually use chisels to get down deep and clean the goroves out. I have ued a Die grinder before and it works well as does an Angle grinder. You need to go to the beach where all the carvers hang out and watch them awhile. You will see how to answer most all your quetions within 20 to 45 minutes.
Keep up whatever you are doing because your tikis are definitely looking Great.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:31:23 ]

Hi Ben, thanks for the tip. I'll try using some chisels to smooth that out. Do you just use 'em with a little hand pressure or do you use a mallet? An angle grinder is a luxury I can't afford at the moment.
Poptiki, I got that bamboo at Butler Box and Stake, they're pretty local to me, in Anaheim or Garden Grove, but off the 22 freeway near the 5. I can post a ph. number if anyone's interested, and those poles were CHEAP, way cheaper than I've seen poles that size. My brother and I got them cut in half (split) at Butler, they charged us extra per pole, I wanna say like $1 each, but it was better than trying to do it ourselves. I found these guys in the local yellow pages. They gave us funny looks when we told 'em what we wanted the bamboo for.
By the way, I realized that I never mentioned it in my first post with the picture of the bar, but the tiki that's on the front there is NOT mine. I got that gal unfinished from Oceanic Arts, but I did have to trim the head down a bit for fit (I took about 4-6 inches off the top of the headdress). After I did the cut, stained with something dark brown, I thought it was pretty close to what they use at OA, and it looked good with the dark brown pad around the bar top.
Mahalo to all for the encouragement!

A

Hey TikiJosh,

Keep carving, your tikis are looking good. There is one thing I've learned and that is there is no substitute for hands on carving after learning some useful tips and information. Don't be afraid to ask questions and guys like Benzart and others will point you in the right direction. Keep going and you'll figure it all out.

Pages: 1 15 replies