Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Dogbytes' Mess O Tiki~ Everything posted.. (update 9/24)

Pages: 1 18 replies

D

I’ve been talking about this in Shout for a few days now, and thought I should post in the forums.

I was first to reply to a Seattle Craigslist Ad that read "Witco cocktail table, also have tiki mug collection of about 40 pieces 150.00 Assorted Tiki collectibles, coco joes, some restaurant menus,and bar accessories. would prefer to sell as a collection. 100.00. Also have a set of 1940's Weil Ware dishes with bamboo motif.very beautiful. 100.00. these are extremely good prices for these extra cool treasures. I'll send pictures to those who are seriously interested.Ive been collecting tiki for about 15 years,so I know what I have."

would this be too good to be true? ~ NO

That’s the Assorted Tiki Collectibles. sold! I didn’t even take a picture of the mugs because I saw the Trader Vic’s Seathorse… I passed on the Witco, which was awesome, but just too darned large!

The best part of this story is that the seller, Dawn ~ is a local artist whose work, I’ve always admired. I purchased a couple pieces of her art!

I’m still sorting through boxes ~ taking pictures before finding space in the Rongorongo Room for my treasures. Look for more posts starting with Dogbytes Mess o Tiki(separated by category: wood, cocojoes, ephemera, mugs, art). will get it scanned and photographed as time permits!

elicia
the luckiest girl in the tiki universe.

contact me if you see something you'd like to trade!

[ Edited by: dogbytes 2005-09-24 15:38 ]

B

Congrats on the Mother Load! AND a Coconut!!!

Nice haul,DB. Did you happen to get any pics of the Witco piece?

Fantastic finds!!!

Ya know how somebody inevitably sees something in a picture that has nothing to do with the intent of the post? Well, here goes . .

Is that a Nean rug from Ikea (the earth rug)?? I've been looking for one of those since they stopped selling them about three years ago! Anybody have any ideas where I could find one, PLEASE PM me!

We now return you to the original intent of this thread. Thanks!

Is that a Moai tissue box?

Seriously, congrats. "Good score" would be an understatement.

D

On 2005-09-05 23:00, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Is that a Moai tissue box?

honest to god, it IS another tissue box! i was wondering who'd notice that first!

Freddy: a seattle TC person bought the witco, i'll let them post the pics.. (or i will in a few days if they dont!)

Silverline: the rug might have been for sale, but it was pretty well worn, do you want me to ask? i'm guessing shipping wouldnt be worth it (try craigslist.org)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 6:59 AM

Awesome score by dofbytes. Been teased with this for a few days now. Jealous.

Yayyy Dogbytes!

What fun that must have been, so do you have room for all this great stuff?
It's going to be fun finding the perfect spot for everything!

I can't wait to see it all in person.

D

Dogbytes' Mess o Tiki: Mugs ~ Ok, finally got to look at and pick out and photograph my favorite mugs. The TV Seahorse is definitely the most rare in this lot!

The other is on page 47 of TQ

Brown Speckled tiki bowl (Stockton Islander?), unmarked (TQ 79) and Hukilau (TQ 38)

totems, unglazed (2 sets)

my favorites are the handmade ones made by Dawn

backside:

The rest: are ~ 3 Harvey's Sneaky Tikis, 6 Accoutrements wide mugs, 3 3 Face Buckets (1 unmarked, 1 Harvey's Lake Tahoe, Four Seas Seattle), 2 Trader Vics Coconuts, 3 2 Face Glass Mugs, 6 PMP, Orchids R-6 Bamboo, 2 Orchids Moai R-22, 2 Homemade Moai, Hawaiian Village Headhunter, 2 Black Moai, Trader Dicks, Tiki Creamer, Daga Warrior Kauai Resort Hotel, 2 "grandma/grandpa" Kava Cups, 2 AL Harrington and a bottle (TQ 155).

quite a boost to my collection, with spares to trade!

Curse you and your great find !!!!

Just kidding . Way to go DB!!!!

Coco Joes & HIP

Why are these so difficult to photograph? And even harder to get clean!

In my Mess o Tiki, I received: Petroglyph ashtray (TQ 182), wall hanging (TQ 175), pipe ashtray (TQ 174), napkin holder( TQ 172), ashtray, 2 warriors, hula girl, surfer on wave, girl, menehune (he has a broken arm), henehune w/ bowl.

not coco joes or HIP this is Holo-Ka-Hana, this heavy figurine was made before Hawaii was a state!

I agree, Coco Joe's are hard to photograph -- they suck up the available light like a black hole. You did a fine job though, the details are clearly visible. And I know what you mean about getting them clean -- it's like the dust of the ages settles in the cracks and never comes out no matter how well you wash them.

I really like the pattern on the petroglyph ashtray. Here's mine (Coco Joe's #269)

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 12:58 ]

Here are the wood items in my Big Mess O Tiki:

War club 18" /Bora Bora Slit Drum/Candle Holders (?)

BoraBora Slit Drum ~ 24" long!

Treasure Craft S&P, Candle Holder, Wood Tiki (made in China, sold in Honolulu), Tiki Bell (made of clay)

Tiki 13" (unmarked)

Samoa Boat 25” long! & decorative spears(?)

Mask (14 x 26)

my favorite in this batch is a necklace by Al Evans ~ that’s Crazy Al ~ made in 96

Wow, great items!

I especially love the PNG mask! He's GREAT! Wonderful piece to hang in your home.

Yayy Elicia!!

D

You've found the never ending Box O Tiki! I am sure of it! Man you are one lucky duck!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-16 13:02 ]

Dogbytes’ Mess o Tiki: Ephemera ~ The magazines and the menu are archeology projects, as I cant find reference to either on the net ~ the University of Washington Librarian is helping me track down Le Pasefika, and I’ll have to find out where Jade East was located in Seattle.

Le Pasefika, a short lived magazine, published in Tahiti. Articles by Otto and Sven inside!

Luau Planner

Jade East, Seattle WA menu (anyone have info on this place?)

Orchids of Hawaii Catalog

also: Assorted Matchbooks, Travel Brochures, tons of hawaiian postcards from 1958-62, Trader Vic's Cookbook.

Now you're talkin! My kinda find. I'm jealous but will still congratulate you most heartilly, dogbytes!

Sabu

D

Here’s the last of my great haul.

Tapa Cloth & Fans

Swizzles (yay, Lelani Lanes, Seattle!)

Tiki soap~ made by Amway, similar to page 182 BOT, but no rope! The scent is still very strong!

Candles

Tiki & Shrunken Head Maracas ~ by Dawn Frasier

Coconuts ~ basket, Head, birdhouse, zippered purse.

Tiki Lights, candle holder, & misc Mc Phee stuff

Nodder, S&P, Male & Female Menehune, carved boat, coconut cup, pottery, witco-y candlestick holders(?)

Pineapple Light, just like resin table grapes!

KC Co, Ltd Hawaii Salt & pepper, wood tiki, wood Hei Tiki

not pictured: 2 hawaiian ties, moai kleenex box , another set of CK Co, Ltd S&P,

Oh man DB, did you hit the motherload or what!?! What a great score! Couldn't of fallen in the hands (paws) of a a more deserving person.
Nice work, thanks for taking the time to share.
Chongolio

Pages: 1 18 replies