Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Mai Tai Bar @ the Hotel Del Coronado, Coronado, CA (bar)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Name:Mai Tai Bar @ the Hotel Del Coronado
Type:bar
Street:1500 Orange Ave
City:Coronado
State:CA
Zip:92118
Phone:(619) 435-6611

Description:
It's only a little Florida-type Tiki Bar, but it had several carved tikis from Roy Tuck and actually served MaiTais! I hadn't been to the Hotel Del all summer & only saw this the last day it was open, but the bartender said that not only did the mangement expect to reopen it next summer, but they were planning to expand it into an actual sit-down bar next year. At $9 a pop for Hawaiian Hotel-style Mai Tais & alcoholic SLurpees, I think they'll be happy to bring it back every year!

Excellent, Tiki spotting, Freddie.

Is this a new addition. I was at the 'Del a couple of years ago at Christmas and didn't see any tikis, even though it was gorgeous & warm.

Hate to think I missed them.

It's new & seasonal, summer only, but successful. I took a picture of the bar with the last shot on my roll so I hope it turns out.

Is this the bar that is an outside patio overlooking the beach? If so, I was there last month and didn't notice any tikis. Darn! The drink quality was not terrible and the view of the beach and San Diego's Pacific Coastline was a stunning spectacle to be seen!

-Weird Unc

On 2005-09-08 11:34, weirduncletiki wrote:
Is this the bar that is an outside patio overlooking the beach? If so, I was there last month and didn't notice any tikis. Darn! The drink quality was not terrible and the view of the beach and San Diego's Pacific Coastline was a stunning spectacle to be seen!

-Weird Unc

Unc, it was on the South side of the Hotel, right at the start of the patio, just out the door from the Weather Walk by the Mootime Creamery & the Babcock & Story Emporium, under the stairs that go up to the little garden that has that big Dragon Tree in it. I think you're talking about the bar above the Pool?

It would be the first signs of tiki since the Hawaiian Room was there decades ago.

I keep meaning to contact the Del historian, shes a friend if my moms from back when she was part of the sales department.

I'll see what I can come up with.

On 2005-09-08 07:15, freddiefreelance wrote:
It's new & seasonal, summer only, but successful. I took a picture of the bar with the last shot on my roll so I hope it turns out.

What a shame! It's nearly always summer in Sun Diego, and tikis love being right off the water.

The 'Del should catch a clue, try & snag some of the tiki biz from Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge, Humphrey's & the Bali Hai, etc.

The picture of the Mai Tai Bar:

You can see the 4 carved tikis out front and the 2 grass skirted coconut monkeys on either side of the bar top. The bar has a Palapa roof, Bamboo trim & supports, Lauhala matting on the front & sides and a wooden top. Behind the bar you can just see the very friendly bartender and alcoholic Slushee machines, but you can't see the plastic Tiki mask mounted on the door that covers the Slushee machines at night, and the bartender said that someone has stolen another matching plastic mask. The plastic Tiki mask looked like this one from Tiki-Madness.com:

At first it looked like the bartender was wearing a fez.
I think that use to be the place where you could buy cappuccinos and ice cream.
Booze has better revenue.

Beautiful!

Dig that tiki on the left side of the photo.

That is the first time I ever saw a tiki with a sneer.

Pages: 1 10 replies