Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

R.I.P. Maynard G Krebs/Gilligan/Bob Denver

Pages: 1 10 replies

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/denver.obit.ap/index.html

Man, I loved Gilligan and that show. My favorite episode was that one where they almost get rescued but Gilligan blows it.

On an even deeper level, Maynard G. Krebs affected my whole epistemology.

His use of stoned beatnik metaphor is what laid the foundation for my future appreciation of Hunter S Thompson.

You owe it to yourself to find old Dobie Gillis episodes and check out Maynard G Krebs.

[edited to add other legendary characters to the subject line!- martiki]

[ Edited by: martiki 2005-09-06 14:21 ]

M

Whoa! Four threads of tribute to the little buddy!

This one (the oldest) stays open- the rest are locked.

Since they all came within a few minutes of each other, no lectures about the search feature.

H

Technically, there are five -- the first one was in the "Dead Thread" in Bilge. Generally notices about dead celebrities belong in Bilge, but we're letting this one stay in Beyond, 'cause, well, just 'cause.

S
sungod posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 2:57 PM

RIP!! Little Buddy

GT

Just found an interesting item that I should have already known...

The Scooby Doo characters were based on the characters on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" series.

"Fred was based on Dobie, Shaggy on Maynard, Velma on Zelda and Daphne on
Thalia. Once you know this, when you look at the first season's shows,
it becomes obvious."

Mark Evanier
Former SCOOBY-DOO Writer

There was an episode of Gilligan's Island where Gilligan's likeness was on a Kupaki (a tribe on a neighboring island) totem pole. Looks like you can get one here.

http://www.gilligansisle.com/voodoo.html

Also voodoo dolls with the castaways likeness.

UB

Ya know, that just never gets old. I could watch it over and over. So good.

8T

Hey I think Tiki Tony is in there!

Let's not forget Sid & Marty Krofft's live-action Saturday morning show 'Far Out Space Nuts' from 1975. Bob Denver basically reprised his Gilligan character role along side a Skipper-like character -- both playing NASA employees who accidentally (one guess as to who it was who caused the accident) take off in a spaceship they were equipping with supplies. I was nine years old when this show came out. I loved it then and still love it now.

Remember Bob in 'Take Her She's Mine' with Jimmy Stewart and Sandra Dee? The Maynard beatnik character pops up again in a coffee house.

On 2007-05-06 13:49, Unga Bunga wrote:
Ho Daddy! Ho Daddy!

:music: When you lose control and get caught in a swirl, that crazy dive is what you call a pearl, when the craze is done in a go-top speed, toes over the nose is all you need. :music: When you see one comin' you yell OUTSIDE! Then you get to your feet and you start your glide, don't fluke you kooks, watch out for the stalls or you'll find yourself going over the falls! Tunnel in, but not before you're sure that tunnel has a door. Now before you surfers hit the brine, be sure your boards are bright and shined....Surf's up! SURF'S UP! :music:

Pages: 1 10 replies