Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

What MUSIC inspires you for your art or your tiki lifestle in general??? Good thread eh?

Pages: 1 24 replies

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 4:03 PM

I'll start

For Creating Art: Mudvane, 311, POD, Sevendust, Ill Nino, Skindred, Linkin Park, Incubus, Chili peppers, U2 (older), The Fixx, REM, Helmet , Slipnot, Biohazard... Very agro!

For Chill'n: Staind, 311, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, U2, REM, Reggae, Skindred, Sevendust, 80's stuff in general, Cold, Offspring and too many more to list but, you get the idea.

I'm 45 years old with 3 kids that I am cooler than. I have the music often before it's on the air.

Mahalo Ohana

I like to work to no music - that way, I can can hear all the voices in my head.

my angle grinder provides all the audio stimulus that i need! :wink:

Right on Aloha!! The voices in my head tell me what to do.

Dean Martin, Miles Davis, Perry Como, Space Age jazz, Monkees, Jan & Dean, Nelson Riddle, Billy May, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton, Led Zep, Stones, Johnny Cash to name a few.

F

Nine Inch Nails, Filter and God lives under Water for the original aggressive debarking and deep cuts.

Then 311, Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Ziggy Marley, UB40 and a collection of reggae greats for the smoothing and adding of detail.

I am 44, married w/ 2 teenage kids a bouy and a gurl.

Nice thread cause I am alway searching on Rhapsody for new groups. But the are my mainstays.

Crank up and carve on.

P.s. I use a mini disk player that hold about 6 albums and I use earphones to dull the noise. Plus I can play it at the required level of 11.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 9:48 PM

I like to put on some rootsy blues music. I usually listen to rock (50s rock n roll through to Metallica) on the radio, but noone plays blues. So I put that on, crank up the tunes, and have at it.

A lot of new swingmusic like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Revue and so on.
Check out Brian Setzer Orchestras "Vavoom" Great music and a really cool Shaginspired cover.

Some rocka/psychobillystuff, and of course some punkrock for parties!

B

I like All kinds of music when I carve when I can hear it. Strange thing is, I can be carving and almost done and realize I forgot the tunes. So, whatever music I play, I Mostly listen to the carving going on at the time. Some of these tikis Really love to talk.

The rhythm of old trusty the mallet and my old trusty chisels...

RD

I normally put my 40Gig Nomad MP3 player (easier to just say "iPod", but it ISN'T dammit!) on random and get an extremely eclectic mix of music. In the days before that I found Apex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works Vol 2" to be the best studio music I could find. It's a two CD set that really gets the voices in your head yammering. Not sure how it would work for the carvers, though.

-Joe

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 1:48 PM

Flacookz, try this website for new undiscovered and discovered new stuff.

http://www.shoutweb.com/about/players.phtml

I have always found good tunes here

Mahalo

Vegas Vic's Podcasts

thANks FOR tHE lInk,

mY 16 YeaR old DSon Also Hooks Me Up.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 6:50 PM

Premix 32:1. The gas and oil jam!

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-12 18:51 ]

Somewhere along the way I got out of the habit of listening to music while working, or driving for that matter. Strange that I don't miss it.

when i carve i put in my stereo surf Music old and neo: Dick dale, The Ventures, Fifty foot combo... and Rockabilly Music : Brian setzer, Charlies Feather, early Elvis P., Johnny Burnette and The Meteors (Rockab album:southern boys) I prefer not a heavy music to carve if no i do nothing.

Swanky's exotica... http://swankpad.org/exotica/exoticaii.html
other than that, whatEVER. Currently, The Killers.

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2005-09-15 07:03 ]

When I paint I generally listen to exotica. Sometimes the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack is good. Other times any old punk rock will do. The Clouseaux Lagoon album is almost always on hand.

Only slightly better than styx and journey...I like the "talking heads"...songs like "Government Man"...lots of movement and energy...I find I lose track of time while creating...it's sort of buzzy.

Ali Toure, from Mali is great too, the fact that I don't understand the words doesn't bother me.

Wicked Tinkers are another great energy band. 3 drummers, a diggery and a piper. Not many words, a few screams and howls. but mostly pretty tribal...great for late night projects when you might be tired but don't want to stop working on something.

Matt Reese you DO have great taste in music... If I may say so.

Jay
Clouseaux

It really depends on my mood or what I'm drawing. I like a ton of music, but when I'm looking for a tiki vibe or drawing traditional tiki stuff, I prefer the obvious...Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Esquivel, Robert Drasnin's Voodoo or some good surf music. If I'm drawing more wild jungle stuff I like Strip Records Jungle Exotica albums, and also in the same vein Frolic Diner and Las Vegas Grind. If I'm doing something more surreal or psychedelic, then I go for some late 60s-early 70s soundtrack stuff like Vampyros Lesbos, Schoolgirl Report, Ennio Morricone, Beat at Cennicita.
Also inspiring for a tiki mindset are the Music for TV Dinners discs. Also spy music, which often tends to be moody and exotic (I specifically recommend The Thriller Memorandum and the Man from UNCLE soundtrack). Basically anything that is colorful, uplifting and textured.

T

I listen to all music but as of late lots of martin denny and les baxter. I have been working on some big tiki paintings.

Lately, Hugo Montenegro, Brass Ring, everything played on Jet Set Planet and Retro Cocktail Hour.. always Esquivel and lets see... something a little more current... I would say Stereolab, some Don Tiki.

[ Edited by: Chief Lapu Lapu 2005-10-19 02:17 ]

Any Ultralounge, Don Tiki, Blue Hawaiians, Herb Ohta Jr. (lately), Dennis Aveau, Hui Ohana, Pali, Ventures, Brian Setzer, Sevendust, Aqualung (the band, not Tull), Coldplay, Pepper (local Hawaii boys), Sublime... the list goes on. Basically, if the music makes me feel good - I listen to it. Doesn't have to be any particular genre or style... Inspires me to write songs as well.

MTM

Pages: 1 24 replies