Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 12:34 PM

Aloha Floridians!

I am started this topic as a place for us to post the latest sales or finds of rums and exotic drink ingredients. Basically, I just wanted a topic we could all quickly find and post to with this information.

So, with this in mind, I will start us off...

Mahalo, and I hope you find this informative! :drink:

Edit: Edited Subject to Florida

http://www.tikihappy.net
Code of the Moai Blog

[ Edited by: Jawa 2005-12-19 08:48 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 12:36 PM

From mahalomo in Dunedin

Lueken's Liquor

mahalomo also said Lueken's has Trader Vic's Orgeat, and Macadamia Nut Liquor.

I went to Lueken's this evening, 8/7/2005, and they have a very nice selection of rums (and a lot of everything else too). El Dorado demerara stood out since I have not it around Tampa.

On 2005-09-06 17:28, mahalomo wrote:
Jawa -
Coruba is on sale 1/2 price right now ($12.99 for a 1 liter bottle) at Luekens Liquor in Dunedin (corner of Patricia and Main St/580). I just returned with 2 bottles of my own.

[ Edited by: Jawa 2005-09-07 12:43 ]

[ Edited by: Jawa 2005-09-07 18:34 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 12:41 PM

Update on Lemon Hart in the area

I have been talking with Hot Lava regarding Lemon Hart rum in this area for the past few months and so far he has not been able to find any or get any info from the 2 large distributers.

Fortunately, Kono informed me that he has ordered Lemon Hart from Hi-Time Wines in the past...so at least we can get it, albeit at a premium since shipping is so high.

HL

That's great news about a source for El Dorado demerara in Dunedin. Previously, I had driven to Wally's in Orlando to get the stuff.

Has anyone been able to find Trader Vic's Passion Fruit syrup? I was looking to get another bottle for this weekend. I can order from Trader Vics online, but it would never show up in time.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 8:17 AM

I have not seen TV Passion Fruit syrup, but I did find something better!

I was at my local asian market (Oceanic near Florida and 275) a couple weeks ago and found some passionfruit syrup. It is only concentrated juice and sugar, so it has a thinker consistency than TV. It tastes like actual passionfruit, and doesn't have any extra ingredients like the TV stuff has. It runs about $4.60 a bottle, and you use about half as much as you would the TV stuff.

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 12:59 PM

Has anyone seen the new Weekly Planet Best of the Bay issue?

There is a mention in there for best mom and pop liquor store, and the store is 4th Street Liquor Mart on ... well, 4th Street in St. Pete. I dropped by today on my lunch break and walked out pleasantly surprised with a bottle of El Dorado 5yr. They also had 2 other ages, an 8 (about $20) and 15 (about $30) if I am not mistaken. They also had Sailor Jerry, which I have not seen too often around here. A really good selection for such a small place. The owners are really nice too, so check it out...
:drink:

M

On 2005-09-22 21:01, Hot Lava wrote:
That's great news about a source for El Dorado demerara in Dunedin. Previously, I had driven to Wally's in Orlando to get the stuff.

Has anyone been able to find Trader Vic's Passion Fruit syrup? I was looking to get another bottle for this weekend. I can order from Trader Vics online, but it would never show up in time.

I have been told by a few liquor store managers that the Passion Fruit syrup can't be found anywhere in the Bay area due to there being no distributors that carry it here. I've asked a few managers of good liquor stores this same question and keep getting the same answer. They did say, however, that places in Orlando or elsewhere in the state may have it, because distributors vary on a regional level within the state. Not sure how much truth there is to any of this, other than the fact that I can't find the TV Passion Fruit Syrup anywhere near here, even though I can find other TV products in several stores.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 5:15 PM

I'd say just order it from Trader Vics online. I ordered some about a year or two ago (passion fruit, orgeat and rock candy) and the S/H pretty much equaled the cost of the product. So that $4.50 bottle of syrup cost me about $9. But with the cost of gas these days you probably come out ahead vs driving around looking for it. And I just ran out of my bottle about a week ago so I guess maybe an order is in the works. I seem to remember that S/H works out better if you order in "threes" due to the way it's packed.

I wish I could find someone to carry the macadamia nut liqueur and the mai tai mix (just because I haven't found a Honi Honi recipe that doesn't require the mix).

Anybody try that 10 Cane rum? Good stuff!

M

On 2005-09-24 17:15, Kono wrote:

I wish I could find someone to carry the macadamia nut liqueur

Luekens Liquor in Dunedin (corner of Patricia and 580/Main St.) has the TV Macadamia Nut Liqueur. They also have the Orgeat from TV.
Everything else I order from TV and get it shipped. You're right - with gas prices, it's cheaper just to order it.

J

Hello all...
Just wanted to tell about a liquor store that I stopped at today.
In a very touristy area of town, right off International Drive near Universal Studios.
Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine (407) 351-4470

I was attracted by the sign that said "100 Rums, 100 Vodkas, 100 Tequilas, 100 Whiskeys".
Well, they were not kidding.
Although they were a bit shy on the mixers and syrups, they had all the hard alcohols you would probably want to find.

Single Malt Scotch? Over 90 brands.

Wine? Got it.

Rum? Yep. Over 100 types from Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Tennessee, any island in the Caribbean including:
Flor de CaƱa (4, 7, and 18 year)
Ron Barcelo
El Dorado Demerara (5, 12, 15 year)
Santa Teresa 1796 Solera (mixed age)
Prichard's
Wray & Nephew White Overproof (126 proof for those that can't handle 151)
Appleton Estates
Goslings
Chacacha
10 Cane Rum
Ron Matusalem
Toucano (by Ypioca)
Pyrat (and Pyrat XO)
Angosture Rum
Sea Wynde
Ron Zacapa Centenario
Rhum Barbancourt (multiple ages)
Mount Gay Tricentennial (only 300 bottles made)

They also had many other types of liquer, including Santa Teresa Rhum Orange Liqeur, Demerara Rum Cream Liquer and many others.

No Falernum, but he doesn't get much call for that, yet :wink:

His pricing is pretty good, but for the older stuff it can get pretty high (as to be expected). The Mount Gay Tricentennial was $500, but it was the last bottle still for sale anywhere...

Stop on by on the way to the Hukilau (its off I-4 at the Sand Lake Road/International Drive exit, on the corner of Sand Lake and Universal Blvd). Or if you call, tell him you are one of the Tiki people I "warned" him about. Maybe if he gets enough response, he'll order some really obscure stuff for us...

Thanks guys for listing your premium liquor oasises. There is hope yet for this Demarara starved lot.

H
Helz posted on Fri, Nov 11, 2005 1:49 PM

Now all we need is one of these for us South Florida folks!

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Nov 11, 2005 3:14 PM

Yes, demarara is still hard to come by unfortunately.

For Tampa residents, there is a new place for all your liquor needs, Total Wine on Dale Mabry about 1/4 mile north of 275. The least expensive place I have found so far around here. They could use more rums, but their selection is not bad.

Stopped by Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine today to get some holiday shopping done. He really has an excellent selection but his prices are high compared to what I have seen in the area. He has Saint James XO (the smoothest Martinique rum for your Mai Tai, in my opinion) at $30/bottle and I have ordered it from Plaza Liquors on International Drive (407-352-7665) for around $21/bottle. His prices on the El Dorado demerara line seemed higher than I pay at Wally's as well.

It's a great place if you need to get something right away, but if you have enough time to order a bottle, you can get it cheaper from Plaza Liquors down the street.

I just found two places in the Florida Keys with incredible selection. Dare I say it coud be our South Florida oasis for hard to find rum? Should I list here or would you rather I start a new topic?

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 5:32 AM

You are most welcome to post your finds here! I may have to change the topic heading now, but I think we all Floridians here would appreciate a couple of good places to get hard to find rums :D

Thanks Dreamer!

Oh boy, oh Boy, OH BOY! :music: RUUUUMMM!!! :music:

Found 2 stores in Key Largo with nice stock surprises.
The first one, Tradewinds Liquors, is in the Publix & K-Mart shopping plaza. It next to Public by the cul-de-sac toward the back.

Tradewinds Liquors Inc
101443 Overseas Hwy
Key Largo, FL 33037
phone (305) 451-5958
fax (305) 451-3168

owner/manager: Esther Thaler

The fellow behind the counter was very nice. Found a plentiful supply of El Dorado in all ages, 5, 12 and 15. He was quite proud to keep it in stock. Also had a healthy selection of Marie Brizard Creme de cacao, creme de casis, orange curacao, Apry, Grand Orange, Triple Sec, etc. Other goodies include: Sailor Jerry, Ron Pampero Anniversario, Ron Zacapa Centario, Pyrat Pistol, etc. Also had some hard to find brandies like Fundador and Presidente. A worthy find.

Next up is Denny's Liquors on Mile Marker 100, which is fairly north in the Keys to those who have never been. The sign reads as Denny's Discount Liquors. There's a cuban cafe right next door.

Denny's Liquors
Mile Marker 100
Key Largo, FL 33037
phone (305) 451-2667
Fax (305) 451-1063

purchaser: Arnaldo Diaz

The rum selection was just huge. I saw rum that I've never seen before there, such as Colombian anejo, Trinidadian rum, more Venezuelan rum, etc. They too had El Dorado, but just the 15 year. Sailor Jerry in 2 sizes. Had all three Santa Theresa rums from Venezuela in the regular size bottles AND airplane minis: Santa Teresa Orange Rum, Santa Teresa Gran Reserva (Ron Anejo), and Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera. Had a larger than normal anejo selection that was cheap. I bought the Santa Fe anejo from Colombia. Had a few others I rarely see like Mt. Gay Extra Old & Pyrat Pistol. Also had a nice Marie Brizzard selection in the liqueurs area that was equal to the other store. Lots of airplane minis, allowing me to try a bunch before going whole hog with the larger bottles. I thinkg its the best rum selection I've seen in all four counties of this side of Florida.

Two places definately worth a stroll on one's way down to or up from the keys.

My last toss in the hat is no where as big of a score, but beats driving to Key Largo to get a decent selection Marie Brizard liqueurs or Sailor Jerry. Have a couple of sipping rums like Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 year and 23 year. Its got some things I havent seen at he local ABC or Crown Wine & Spirits.

UPDATE: 12/17/2005
Scouted it out again. They had Pyrat Planters XO Gold, Santa Teresa Gran Reserva (Ron Anejo), Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera, Sea Wynde, Mt. Gay Sugar Cane, etc. Surprisingly, Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 and Ron Pampero Anniversario have been pretty common in all the places I'm frequenting. One of the few places I know carrying Sailor Jerry up here.

A1A Fine Wine & Spirits
1536 S Federal Hwy
Delray Beach, FL 33483
(561) 276-3838
They are a bit pricier than the average store, but the sign says they'll beat others prices. Haggle!

I'm learning swiftly that its the mom & pop places that have the hard to find stuff. Will post more as I find more. Happy rum hunting.

EDITED: removed opinion on Ron Centenario Anejo Reserva. I've completely changed my opinion on it since I first tasted it.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 08:31 ]

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 9:07 AM

Has anyone seen Marie Brizard Curacao around Tampa/St. Pete? The Total Wine I mentioned earier stocks a few Brizard items, but not that one. I asked about special ordering stuff, and they said if they could get it I would most likely have to order a case! So apparently I will not be trying to get St. James Hors d'Age from there...

Also, I happened to find myself in Fine Wine & Spirits Warehouse on Gandy in Tampa, and they had a pretty good selection of rums for being many a wine place. I picked up a bottle of St. James Amber ($19.99) to try out. They had El Dorado 8, 12, and 15 yr, Barbancourt 4, 8, and 15 yr, amoung others. Prices are comparable to the prices as HiTime Wine. I will have to venture back to write down everything.

• Jason

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:05 ]

L
Loki posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 10:06 AM

Please post here...i'm having a brutal time finding Demerara in S. FL

Yeah, to get any of the major chain stores to order anything like Demerara is like pulling teeth. I didn't know that both ABC and Crown Wine & Spirits stopped carrying Orange Curacao for over a year now due to lack of demand.

Miami & in the area residents.... yet another cut above the rest liquor store has been found.

Sun Liquors
1646 SW 27 Ave
Miami, FJ 33145
phone: (305)442-0814
Fax: (305) 442-9297

When you approach the outside of the building, it doesn't look like much. Not flashy or anything like ABC or some Crown Wine & Spirits. Then you walk in and its like entering an oasis.

Liquers:
UPDATE 8/23/06: Ever since I bought the last bottle of MB Orange Curacao, they have ceased to reorder it. Bummer.
Marie Brizzard: Creme de Banane, Peach (Peche), Apry, Cacao, Creme de Cacao, Grand Orange, Rasberry de Bordeaux, Creme de Menthe, Cassis de Bordeaux.Also had some Bols and the usual Hiram Walker and another brand I'm not used to seeing.

Alas, no Demarara rum. No demand in the area. BUT the rum selection had lots of pluses.

• Flor de Cana, the usual selection as well as Flor de Cana Centenario 15 and 21 year
  • Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 and 23 year
  • Meyers Legend 10
  • Mt. Gay: Special Reserve, Sugar Cane and Extra Old
  • Santa Teresa: Orange Rum, 1796 Solera, Gran Reserva, and Superior
  • Zaya
  • Ron Centenario: Anejo Especial and Commemorativo
  • Coruba
  • Cohiba
  • Matusalem Platino, Classico, & Gran Reserva
  • Angustura 1919 dark rum 8 yr and Angustura dark rum 5 yr
  • Larger than usual selection of Aguardiente
  • Ron Barcelo: Anejo, Gran Anejo, Emperador and one other type
  • Ron Botran (multiple ages, up to the 12 year)
  • Ron Viejo de Caldas: 3 year and now the 8 YEAR - YUM!!!!)
  • Ron Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva(an excellent Venezelan rum that Mario had open for tasting)
  • Appleton Estate and Estate Special
  • Montecristo 12 yr
  • mini bottles of Pyrat Pistol
  • various cachacas from Brazil (Cachaca 51, etc)
    UPDATE:
    New Rums of interest:
  • Two new rums from Martinique - Depaz cane syrup & Depaz blue cane rhum agricole
  • More variations of Ron Diplomatico - Anejo and a Reserva

Mario Ledesma, the manager, also displayed some of the other lovely items they have in stock, which included some beautifully decorated and hand blown bottles of tequila and other spirits. Had a larger than usual brandy selection, including more brandies from Spain. For those of you not from the area, this store is a part of Miami that is heavily hispanic concentrated. No wonder products from Spain and South America are considerablt more prevalent than the liquor stores I visited 40 miles further north.

Mario claims to have tasted all the rums, so a discussion with him on quality and characteristics was pretty cool. He had an open bottle of Ron Diplomatico from Venezuela, which tasted divine. He can arrange for a small party of folks to have a meal(paella, etc) and bottle of wine at the store. He'll only charge minimally to cover the expense of the food and the stores' price of the bottle(s) of wine. Anyone interested should give Mario 2-3 days notice to hold a sitting. You can contact him by phone or send other inquiries to his email at .

I did ask Mario about El Dorado. Without research, he could not give me a difinitive answer if they could get it or not. However, he said that perhaps it can be purchased and transported up from the 2 stores in the Keys that I was able to find El Dorado.

Happy hunting, my fellow rum seekers. An adventure can await at the least expected store.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 08:52 ]

Another liquor discover.. El Dorado Demarara 5 year in Hollywood, FL!

UPDATE 8-23-06: The great retro canvas sign that says Daddy-O's Liquors has been taken down. Spelling of the store's name has changed as well.
Its a wee slip of a liquor store. Hidden in the back of the store was El Dorado Demarara 5 year for $14.99, among more recently aged versions of Eldorado white, gold and dark.
5723 Hollywood Blvd. Bay-5
Hollywood, FL 33021
phone (954)965-2604

I honestly think that this store was recently sold to new owners. Two guys were building new shelves for wine in the back when I came in. The older fellow behind the counter knew nothing about rum, but sure thinks he does. Once he said all rum was the same, I turned a deaf ear.

Also, I was WAY overcharged for the bottle of Ron Viejo de Caldas3 year (Colombian) that I bought. Paid $11.98 when it was $7.99 at Crown Wine & Spirits. :x Doh!

Aside from that, he did have some brands I've never seen, such Fernandes and Old Oak Trinindad. He had Ron Diplomatico (pricey at $33.99, when Crown had it for $30), Pyrat Planters XO, and Mt. Gay Extra Old.
At least its El Dorado that much closer to home than the keys.

Location 2:
Crown Wine & Liquors
3500 N Federal Hwy
Boca Raton, FL 33431
(561) 392-6366

I didn't realize my luck at the time. They keep St. James Amber in stock.
They also have a version of Pyrat and some other nice aged rums that have become easier to find in these parts.

EDITED to new information, like new spelling of store names.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-08-23 09:00 ]

Great news for South Floridians hankering for demarera rum! I just found a liquor store on Miami Beach that carries El Dorado 12 year and 15 year. Go to the rum section and look at the shelf all the way up at the top.
Gulf Liquors on Alton Road
1681 Alton Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Phone (305) 531-5551

Other goodies in stock are:
*Montecristo 12 year
*Pyrat XO
*Pyrat Cask 23
*Pyrat Pistol
*3 types of Santa Teresa: 1796, Orange, and Gran Reserva anejo
*Zaya
*Ron Pompero Anniversario
*Plantation - Trinidad
*Plantation 7 years
*Flor De Cana Centenario 21 years
*several types of Ron Barcelo
*several types of Ron Botran
*several types of Aguardiente and Cachaca
*Pussers Blue and Red
*Appleton Estate Special
*Marie Brizard: Poire William, Creme de Menthe, Amaretto, Triple Sec, Blackberry
Parfai Amour
*Barenjager (for those Grog Log fans who can't find this liquoer)

If you search for it long enough, it can be found.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 9:43 AM

El Dorado 15 year found at Beer and Liquor II in Lake Worth. The owner said he can easily get the 5 and 12 and should have some next week. He also mentioned his distributer is getting 21 y/o. Can you imagine that? mmmmmmmm! He can also get El Dorado White as well. Never tried that so it may not be worth the price.

directions

H
Helz posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 5:30 AM

Nice find, Loki!

I've been hearing about the El Dorado from my neighbor who has done more than a couple of tours behind a bar and really knows her way around. She introduced me to the wonder that is the Painkiller (With Pusser's and fresh ground nutmeg of course) for the superbowl...my vision has been kinda blurry ever since.

But 21 year?!? Sweet....

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 11:43 AM

Wow, you guys in SoFL are really finding a ton of stuff!

Have any of you seen falernum anywhere? There are a few recipes I have been wanting to try, but I am missing this key ingredient.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 5:22 PM

http://www.hitimewine.net

Save yourselves the headaches and just order online. This is my favorite site. They've got good prices and good sales. St James Amber is currently 14.99 on sale (from 20.99) and Lemon Hart 151 was recently marked down from 26.99 to 19.99 (but that sale is over). You may think that the shipping will make this an expensive way to purchase booze but as I remember it, it wasn't that bad. If you catch something on sale it can make you back most of your shipping and they do have something on sale all of the time.

Jawa: Currently they have 25oz of Davinci Falernum for 6.99 (non-alch) and John Taylor Velvet Falernum 750 for 14.99.

I've been happy with them.

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 7:30 PM

Damn, too bad about the Lemon Hart...I am running low...

Thanks for the falernum info Kono!

K
Kono posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 7:37 PM

Whoo...I just saw that they've got Appleton White on sale at 8.99 a 750. Good price!

T

On 2006-02-22 17:22, Kono wrote:
http://www.hitimewine.net

Save yourselves the headaches and just order online. This is my favorite site. They've got good prices and good sales. St James Amber is currently 14.99 on sale (from 20.99) and Lemon Hart 151 was recently marked down from 26.99 to 19.99 (but that sale is over). You may think that the shipping will make this an expensive way to purchase booze but as I remember it, it wasn't that bad. If you catch something on sale it can make you back most of your shipping and they do have something on sale all of the time.

Jawa: Currently they have 25oz of Davinci Falernum for 6.99 (non-alch) and John Taylor Velvet Falernum 750 for 14.99.

I've been happy with them.

Damn, they have great sale prices! Rhum St. James Hors d'Age for $29.99 (Beachbum Berry's $100 Mai Tai ingredient), Espolon Anejo (one of my favorite tequilas) for $31.99! It may be worth the shipping costs.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 11:19 AM

South Florida drunks,
My source for El Dorado is coming through in a big way. Fully stocked El Dorado Products. White, Gold, Dark, 5Y, 12Y,15Y and soon 21Y.
The White, Gold and Dark 750L $11.99

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 5:03 PM

Just found Rhum Clement at the local ABC liquors.

A TC thread on it here.

If it's at one ABC then yours should be able to get it no problemo. I didn't buy it because it's $31.99 and I wanted to check Tiki Central before splurging. I'll probably go back and get some now that I see it's gotten rave reviews.

A follow up to the hitimewine.net recommendation... I just received a shipment: 2 bottles of St James Royal Amber, a bottle of 80 proof Lemon Hart, a bottle of 151 Lemon Hart and a bottle of Lillet Blanc (to make the Corpse Reviver) and it came to around $82 with another $19 or so for S/H. So $100 bucks in total. I think that if these rums were available around here it would've probably cost as much or more buying them locally.

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 7:10 PM

On 2005-09-27 19:05, JonPez wrote:
Hello all...
Just wanted to tell about a liquor store that I stopped at today.
In a very touristy area of town, right off International Drive near Universal Studios.
Joseph's Liquor & Fine Wine (407) 351-4470

I finally made it to Joseph's today and wow what a large selection of rums! Biggest selection I've yet seen in Florida. There are a couple of problems: first, a good third of the rums I've never heard of nor have I seen them ever mentioned here on TC (I suppose that's redundant); second, a lot of the rums are waaay expensive.

I'm talking $5-10 more than you'd find them elsewhere. Not all them, though, its a bit strange. The Cruzan single barrel was $30 just like it is everywhere else. Sea Wynde, for example, I usually find for about $31-35 around here. At Joseph's it was $43! More were overpriced than priced comparable to the competition.

Another weird thing is the selection. They had St James Extra Old and Hors d'Age but not the regular Amber. They had Eldorado 5yo and 15yo but no 12. And they had the cheap Eldorado's in white, gold and dark.

I don't mean to sound too picky. Its definitely worth checking out. Study up on your rums and prices before going. If you find something new and outstanding, let us know.

Anyone in the Orlando area know where to get Tamarind syrup and tamarind juice? I want to make a Monkeypod but am having zero luck finding those ingredients. I've found the tamarind nectar but thats not the same. World Market stocks Torani but no Tamarindo (and no orgeat my last three visits!).

Kono, have you tried calling any local middle eastern markets or asian markets about the tamarind syrup? That would be my best recommendation to find it, as well as to find some form of almond syrup in lieu of Orgeat.

K
Kono posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 6:18 PM

On 2006-05-07 17:31, I dream of tiki wrote:
Kono, have you tried calling any local middle eastern markets or asian markets about the tamarind syrup? That would be my best recommendation to find it, as well as to find some form of almond syrup in lieu of Orgeat.

Yeah, I was thinking I might have to hit some of the demographically fine-tuned stores to find some of the tamarind. Its such a pain because I always feel like I'm obligated to buy something even if I don't see anything I want. If I don't buy something I imagine they're thinking: "Dumb ass cracker must've wandered in here by accident." So I buy the dried up fish heads even though I don't need them.

I'm good to go on the orgeat. I always keep four or five bottles in reserve. I just like to stock up whenever I see some and I do like the Torani brand. I've found that if you're trying out the recipes in your Beachbum Berry and etc books and you make a real stinker of a drink, one you don't think you can finish, throw a half ounce to an ounce of Torani orgeat in it and its instantly quite acceptable, if not downright delicious!

I've emailed Torani for a list of all stores that sell their products in the area. Maybe I need to contact Jumex also.

K
Kono posted on Thu, May 11, 2006 5:01 PM

Monkeyman says that he used tamarind nectar for the monkeypod so that you can find at Publix/Albertson's/Winn-Dixie. I think I got the Goya brand.

Today I found tamarind syrup at Winn-Dixie! Looking at it, I'll betcha that the Torani looks nothing like this stuff. This has a very "home made" look to it, with lots of pulp. The brand is Sirop El Morro. Its made in Puerto Rico and the US distributor is here in Orlando. By the same company, they also had coconut, surinam cherry and sesame seed syrup. As a big poke lover I am very intrigued by the sesame seed syrup!

J
JTD posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 7:43 AM

Thanks, Kono! I've been beating the bushes and Winn-Dixie would have been way, way, down my list of places to look.

Perhaps not a rum, but a find for me anyway. I just found Stock Maraschino Liqueur (60 proof) at Volpe Liquers on Miami Beach.

Volpe Liquors
1631 Washington Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
(305)538-0809
8 AM - 10 PM

Looks like I may be working in that area a lot more this year. If anyone needs me to pick some up, let me know.

S

Being fairly new to rums, i have been looking at stores in Sarasota and came across Norman's Liquors on Clark Road ( right off of I-75 )

Pretty nice selection and the prices seemed reasonable to me as well - I made some notes as to what they have in stock

Sea Wynde , Myers Legend, Flora de Cana 12 year, El Dorado demurra 15 year, Ron Matusalem 10 yr , Rhum Barbancourt 15 year, Ron Artigo Aniversario, Pyrat XO Reserve, Pamero Aniversario, plus of course , Mt Gay extra old, Goslings Black, Sailor Jerry
--- no st james though ----

I have to go back and pick up a bottle or 2 and try some different rums as well as scope out other brands. Maybe worth a trip for some people on the gulf coast.

Regards

BR

On 2005-12-14 23:23, I dream of tiki wrote:
I just found two places in the Florida Keys with incredible selection. Dare I say it coud be our South Florida oasis for hard to find rum? Should I list here or would you rather I start a new topic?

The Florida Keys would be one place that one could find Rum of all kinds. After all it was one of the Pirates' hang outs in the Caribbean, the place should be lousy with rum.

J
Jawa posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 7:41 AM

I was in Lueken's Liquor a couple weeks ago, and HOLY CRAP, they have Marie Brizard Curacao...anda lot of other Marie Brizard items as well!!!

Also, they had no TV syrups, but instead had Collins ORgeat and Simple Syrup. They are made with sugar, and not corn syrup, so that is awesome, and they are about $5 a 750mL bottle. The Curacao is $19.99.

• Jason

It has been requested to locate more stores in the Ft. Lauderdale area that stock some of our fav rums. New find:

Hollywood Liquors (different from Hollywood Liquor further west)
1011 N. Federal Highway
(954) 922-5416

Not the largest selection of rum in the world, but some goodies in stock. Some we now see everywhere, some are still harder to find.
Coruba. Appleton white, Estate X/V, and Select. El Dorado white, dark, 5 year, 12 year and 15 year. Pyrat blanco, pistol, and XO reserve. Mt Gay eclipse, Reserve, Sugar Cane and Extra Old. Ron Diplomatico reserva exclusiva. Ron Pampero Anniversario. Ron Zacapa 15 year. 10 Cane. Barbancourt White & others. Montecristo 12 year. Santa Theresa Gran reserve and 1796. Zaya. Ron Viejo de Caldas 3 year. Guaro (a white rum from Costa Rica). A fair selection of cachacas, which has become a standard down here with the better liquor stores.

Since this thread has begun, I have found rum selection improving in the more serious stores down here. That may not ever be the case with the Walgreens liquors of the world. Thank goodness for mom and pop's and specific franchises of the bigger chains that are listening to their customers. Brands like Flor de Cana, Mt. Gay, Barbancourt, Appleton, Cruzan, Pusser's and Goslings are now standard staples, which is why I have to debate now whether its worth naming now or not.

Other consistent staples that are present are the cheaper rum brands like Cortez, Castillo, Brugal, Don Q, Ron de Barrilito, Ron Botran, and a few others. The closer to ethnic neighborhoods, the more these other interesting brands appear. Someday I do want to do a taste test to see how they rate. Might be surprised at what can be desirable characteristics.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 4:20 PM

Since Walgreens started carrying some of the Trader Vics rums many moons ago, I would occasionally drop in and see if they'd stocked up on any other TV products and today finally yielded results. For about a week now, Walgreens has been stocking Trader Vics Macadamia Nut Liqueur (yum) and Kona Coffee Liqueur! They were only $18.99 a bottle which is a better price than I paid up North. :)

G

On 2006-08-28 16:20, Kono wrote:
For about a week now, Walgreens has been stocking Trader Vics Macadamia Nut Liqueur (yum) and Kona Coffee Liqueur!

Have you ever spoken to a store manager to see if they can stock TV syrups (orgeat, passion fruit)? I asked about them once in a Walgreens that had other TV products and all I got was blank stares.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Aug 30, 2006 9:38 AM

On 2006-08-30 08:42, GatorRob wrote:

Have you ever spoken to a store manager to see if they can stock TV syrups (orgeat, passion fruit)? I asked about them once in a Walgreens that had other TV products and all I got was blank stares.

I did a while back. He said they just get what Walgreens sends them.

G

Typical corporate answer.

On 2006-08-17 21:52, I dream of tiki wrote:

Hollywood Liquors (different from Hollywood Liquor further west)
1011 N. Federal Highway
(954) 922-5416

Not the largest selection of rum in the world, but some goodies in stock. Some we now see everywhere, some are still harder to find....

Damn you IDOT! My secret supplier of El Dorado 15yr is now out of stock! I'll get you for this...... And your little dog too! Bwahhh Haaaa Haaa!

Since you outed my secret supplier out for ALL to see.... It is Hollywood Discount Liquors and if they don't have it, just ask.

Pages: 1 2 67 replies