Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiian Souvenir Glasses

Pages: 1 20 replies

For my Savage Renewal entry I thought I'd share some pictures of my favorite Hawaiian souvenir bar glasses. I like to collect these because:

1. They're cheap. I can't remember spending more than 2 bucks for a glass at a thrift store -- most cost 49¢.

2. I can keep my vintage mugs safe on the shelf and use these to drink from. Besides being less of a disaster if one breaks, I prefer to drink from glass because I like to see the beautiful color of my drink.

Most common is the "Suck 'Em Up" glass with the revisionist Mai Tai recipe on the back (it has pineapple and orange juice). I have about half a dozen of these "suckers".

These Don Ho glasses are pretty common too.

Two styles of Al Harrington (The South Pacific Man) glasses.

A Trader Vic's Waikiki glass. I believe this design was unique to the Hawaii location and that there are two others in the series.

A lovely little rocks glass with Hawaiian tourist icons in black and gold.

Another nifty scenic glass. I like the 50s illustration style.

Cheers!

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-08-21 17:55 ]

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-08-21 17:57 ]

H

Hey SDT, those are some really great pieces (and well photographed, too!). I like using tumblers for the same reasons you mentioned. That gold & black one is especially nice, and that Trader Vic's Waikiki glass is very, very cool.

Great post SDT!

Those are some wonderful glasses!

Hey I've got the shot version of that black and gold one, I'll send it to you if you'd like to add it to your collection.

PLT

Thanks for the great pictures SDT! I love the Don Ho & Al Harrington glasses!

N

I’ve always had a soft spot for Those Don Ho “Suck Em Up!" Glasses with the playful bright red font and have a few shot glasses and a beer mug with the logo. As a kid I use to see them on bumper stickers and t-shirts which I believe were made by a company called Crazy Shirts. I wish I attended one of those Suck Em Up shows but read this brief account of one in an article on The Modern Drunkard webpage -

BR: I remember in 1980 when I was Honolulu, they used to have what they called Suck Em Up Shows, meaning you paid one price and you could see Don Ho and suck up all the booze you wanted. They had these huge glasses with Don Ho's picture on them and every time your glass was almost empty they'd refill it from these pitchers of Long Island Ice Teas. And all the while Don Ho would walk around saying, "Suck em up, brudder, suck em up!"

Long Island Ice Tea??

http://www.boydrice.com/interviews/drinkingwiththedevil.html

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2005-09-07 19:25 ]

P

Great post ! These are my favorite kind of glasses to use. I especially like the Trader Vics Waikiki glass. Nice photography, too.

Thanks. I went to great expense to build a special photo studio:

Note the special instrument for bottom lighting:

Tikiwahine: Sure, send me your shot glass, but you do know, don't you, that Slacks Ferret collects shots glasses?

-Sweet Daddy T.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 12:49 ]

On 2005-09-07 17:02, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

A Trader Vic's Waikiki glass. I believe this design was unique to the Hawaii location and that there are two others in the series.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:03 ]

Geez, if that's only glass #3, what are they doing by glass #5? Any chance of posting pictures, Fil?

From Mike's archive

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:04 ]

fil/, thanks for posting those TV pictures.

Here's a couple of glasses I bought today.

Akua Hehena (da devil of madness) from da Sting, a discotheque in the Princess Kaiulani Hotel, Waikiki.

Not strictly tiki, but so cute:

-Sweet Daddy T.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-05-23 12:43 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:04 ]

D

I don't know much about this glass. I won it on Ebay awhile ago. I remember reading in the Tiki Bar's review pages about a Beachcomber in Florida somewhere. Does anyone else know anything about it?

H

Puamana has a paper item (I don't remember exactly what it is, I don't remember if it is a menu) from that Beachcomber in New York.

Modern day glass:

Hukilau Lounge
Key West, Florida

S

I love my Suck em up glasses too, some of these I have found for .25 a piece. Great for serving drinks and dishwasher safe too.

Bought this lot today.

Wow, those are nice. Do you know who made those? It looks like a set an airline would give out or something. I love the illustration on those!

No idea - there's no markings on them.

I find this one a little... um... suggestive.

Damn. Those are some of the nicest drink glasses I've ever seen! I really like the underwater one.

T

Hey there Sweet Daddy, I too have a few of those not so tiki glasses with the monkey and the giraffe. Check these frosted cuties out along with a couple of shot glasses. Pulling the woman by the hair with club in hand. Then the woman hitting him in the head. And one in the man just laying under the palm.

This is one side of them.

And this is after I spun them around a little.

Wow, I didn't realize how bad the pictures came out.

Pages: 1 20 replies