Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Bratz Chill Out Lounge

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

First of all I would like to apologize in advance because I don't have a camera.

Last night I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Bratz Chill Out Lounge. In it are six mini tiki mugs. Four of the mugs look exactly like Munktiki Rumba cups. The other two I can't quite identify. In any case if anyone has a camera and a legitimate excuse to buy the set it would be great to see a picture here. The set is worth checking out just because it's very cute.

I also have e-mailed Munktiki to find out about the set as there is no information on the package that indicates they made them.

D

??? Is this it? I can hardly see the mugs :(

T

Yes that is the set. The yellow & blue ones are the Rumba cups by Munktiki right down to the little cigarette in Vladimir's mouth.

Rats!

Those eensy Munktiki mugs are aDORable (like Purple Jade's weensy weensy ones). I'm finding myself wanting to buy the damned thing just to have the mugs!

But I'm still ridiculously happy with My Scene Guava Gulch Smoothie" (yeah, right) Bar.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7779&forum=5&start=0&hilite=guava%20gulch

I can resist the Bratz stuff when I look at how cool my teeny bar and tikis are that come with the whole set!

BUT:
If the makers of Bratz stole the mug design outright, it makes me MUCH less covetous of the Lilliputian mugs.

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2005-09-10 14:18 ]

T

I heard from Paul @ Munktiki. I'm not sure based on his response if they are outright rip-offs but he asked where he could see them? Hmmmm sounds like Bratz may have just used the designs without permission. I'll post more if I learn anything else.

We were never asked for permission to use the designs nor did we ever give anyone permission to use them. I just ordered a set to see how close they are. We shall see.

-stuckie

T

I don't think that you will be pleasantly surprised. To me they were immediately recognizable as Rumba Cups. Sorry that you have to pay for a set!!! The back is not as detailed as the real mugs but the front is exactly like yours.

RD

GIT 'EM Stuckie!!

My condolences on the theft. I will now stop buying Bratz gangbanger style barbie dolls and playsets no matter how cool their tiki bars become, or what sweet new rides they acquire. And they gots some sweet rides.

Seriously though. I hate this kind of crap. Hire your own damn designers "MGA Entertainment" instead of ripping off the little guy!

Maybe I'll have to start shoplifting....

-Joe

T

Don't ask why but I went to Wal-mart again today. There are actually two sets with the Munktiki's the other set is the 8 Ball Blitz pool set. Have you got your set yet Stuckie?

T

"Rip-off is the most sincere form of flattery." ~ Raoul Duke

Ok we got the "Bratz Babyz Chill Out Lounge" set and I gotta say these look just like our Rumba Cups . Olga , Vladimir , Professor , and Tikinski they are all there ( see picture below ) . While the detail is not as good as the original Rumba Cups http://www.munktiki.com/rumbacups.htm you can see that they are our designs. So we'll see what we can do to get some royalties . I don't mind Baby Bratz having Rumba Cups but I would like to get some cash for my designs . Plus the handles suck. Thanks for the heads up Tikisgrl !
Cheers
Paul

Give em hell Paul!

How freaking blatant is that! You definitely get lawyered up, Paul, as I see that is 100 percent beyond refute.
By the way..could somebody explain to us kidless tikisaurs what the Bratz are anyway? I assume it to be some sort of pre-teen doll. You know bratz for brats.
I just had someone rip-off a Tequila Decanter prototype and design when I pitched it to them. It is a lowdown feeling.

RD

The Bratz phenomenon can't be explained.

As far as those handles are concerned, it's nothing that a pair of wire snips and a file can't fix. A touch of paint might not hurt, either.

-Joe

Paul, please keep us posted as to what the manufacturer of Bratz says? It will be interesting to see if they are aware of where those designs came from or more to the point how they figured they would not get caught. In any case I second the give 'em hell!!!

Be very careful. I have a friend who is a commercial illustrator. She found that Mattel had used some of her design work without permission. She filed a suit, and it seemed like a slam-dunk case in her favor.

Mattel has a very good legal team, and stretched the case out for over 2 years. Eventually my friend lost on a technicality, and she had to pay Mattel's legal costs! She was financially ruined, and had to file bankrupcy.

In this type of situation, the side with better legal representation (and deeper pockets) has a huge advantage.

Good luck. If they offer any sort of settlement, take it and avoid the risks of going to court.

Hey Stuckie, whatever happened with this blatant rip off?

[i Eventually my friend lost on a technicality, and she had to pay Mattel's legal costs! She was financially ruined, and had to file bankrupcy.

Any chance you can give more details on this technicality? I think I would be so apoplectic with rage over this, that I would likely do something very drastic if I were her. I certainly wouldn't pay their legal fees, even if it meant burning everything I owned, just so they couldn't get anything from it. I'm pretty sure that something like that would send me over the edge.

Chris

Pages: 1 17 replies