Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

need royal hawiian, laguna beach lapu lapu recipe

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

Does anyone have the exact recipe for the Royal Hawaiian restaurant in Laguna Beach Lapu Lapu??

P

It's just Myers's and pineapple juice. From the looks of it it's about 1/3 Myers's Dark and 2/3 pineapple over crushed ice in a big brandy snifter. The rum floats on top.

T

There's a recipe in the Grog Log for a Lapu Lapu, but I don't even think they use Myers's anymore (just cheap swill) unless you ask for it and pay extra. Last time I was there I was put off when I saw a bartender shake a bottle of sweet and sour by putting his hand over the open mouth and shaking. I hope he washed his hands after using the bathroom!

S

Aloha dmucla,

The Royal Hawaiian Lapu Lapu is a well guarded secret. Like all the good Tiki Bars of old, they do not give out their recipes but I know that formula is more than just pineapple juice and rum.

From what I could see from years of bellying up to the bar, they use an unmarked container of juice (probably pineapple but maybe a mix of pineapple and citrus juices), Trader Vic's passion fruit syrup, and float the top with dark rum -- I think it's Lahaina Dark if I'm not mistaken. Mix all ingredients into a very large snifter over cracked ice or you can go for the Fishbowl!

As mentioned, consult the Grog Log for actual measurements and you will probably come close. Either way, you'll have fun trying to figure it out.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone:

As a loyal Royal Hawaiian patron for years I was wondering if any one had the recipe for their famous Lapu Lapus. I introduced my fiance to Lapus at the Royal Hawaiian and it fast became his favorite place he even proposed to me over a lapu lapu...as you can imagine I said yes.

We are hoping to serve Lapu Lapu's as our signature drink at our reception but there are so many differnt recipes out there and we want the real deal.

Any suggestions?

Cheers - BB

TP

You cant miss with the Grog Log recipe.(pg. 26) very tasty and strong!
aloha

P

On 2006-06-02 15:31, Tiki Pop wrote:
You cant miss with the Grog Log recipe.(pg. 26) very tasty and strong!
aloha

The grog log recipe is totaly different from the one made at the Royal Hawaiian. I know of one person who got the Royal Hawaiian Lapu Lapu recipe before they closed, but he's not going to give it up easily.

WooooHoooo! It's an Ancient Tiki Secret. My lips are sealed :wink:

None of the other posted Lapu Lapu recipes are correct.

Shaved ice is a must for that authentic taste.

Here it is:

A full glass of shaved ice.

A splash of simple syrup. (Available at "Smart and Final")

A splash of orgeat syrup (gives it that almond flavor). It can also be purchased at Smart and Final. Amaretto is a nice substitution.

A splash of passion fruit syrup(this is what makes it different from a mai tai). Usually available at Smart and Final or The Liquor Barn."

light rum. Probably around 2 shots in a brandy sniffer sized glass.

A mixture of 60% pineapple juice, 40% orange juice.

A floater of dark rum. Myers is not dark enough. Use either "Whalers" (sold at Trader Joe's) or "Trader Vic's"

Cheers. Aloha

Pages: 1 8 replies