Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

WITCO "Kon Tiki"

Pages: 1 10 replies

B

I just bought a massive Witco. It's got an orange background and I was told it's called "Kon Tiki". There are two mysterious holes in the boat body and I was wondering if anyone knew about this piece or had a picture of it they could send me. Thanks in advance! Tony

does it have a really textured sail and look like a Hawaiian Outrigger? I have the same piece, and the holes are because it had a big wooden piece sticking out of it, which mine has, but I guess yours has lost over time. It sticks out about 5 inches and runs most of the length of the boat. I placed mine where I don't let anyone touch it, because a couple of good bonks and it would fall out. Cool piece either way though, I can't take my eyes off mine. Mine has the same orange background too, and I have a matching Viking ship. Hope this helps!

I emailed the seller, pointing out that yes this is a Witco but the "Kon Tiki" it aint.
To which the seller replied with "where did I see "kon tiki" anywhere in the listing".
Ahhh Ha! Clever little devil bird. I get it!
So, if anyone is curious, I give to you for your viewing pleasure, the Witco Tiki Kon Eames Era

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-27 00:28 ]

T

Where on the item does it say it's a Witco? I didn't know that Witco produced pieces that incorporated metalworking. But there's a lot of Witco I haven't seen.

D

Good point. My whole reason for posting this was to say the seller seems kinda on the shadey side with this item. Juuuuust on the verge of misrepresenting it, without actually saying a fib, but implying like hell and trying to trick you with the way his ad is worded. I still think it's a witco piece, but your right, I can't recall ever seeing a witco with metal working like this.
But then again, thanks to some Benadryl I just took for my sinus's I can barely recall my name right now. Uggggg! I'm going back to bed...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-27 07:20 ]

V

witco did whole lines of pieces incorperating metal.this is def. a witco ,but, what the he** is a tiki kon eames.I assume the stool they put in with the pic. isn't part of the deal.

[ Edited by: valcano 2005-08-27 09:19 ]

8T

Here's a link to a previoous thread about the subject:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=822&forum=5&hilite=witco boats

V

very good 8ft tiki ,but, were talking about a witco ship thats up for auction right now.They wanted to know if this was authentic.

People, your totally missing the point of my post.
Nooooo, "THEY" didn't what to know if it's authentic.
Thanks for taking a stab at it though.
I'll say it again, my posting the link to the sale on ebay was just to let people know this seller was trying to off it as a Kon Tiki, which I knew it was not, it doesn't look anything like the one I have had hanging in my living room for a couple of years.
What pissed me off was when I emailed the seller to tell them it was not a kon tiki piece, but some other witco, name unknown, and they might want to make the proper adjustments in their ad.
The seller did not care and asked me where in the ad did I see the words "Kon Tiki", you see, he has it listed for sale as "Tiki Kon" on purpose to be sneaky and tricky.
I am glad everyone has been so nice as to comment on this post, but when I posted it last night, I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if the issue was really worth posting about.
Plus knowing I would probably word the post weird and wrong and have people misunderstanding my intent, which (of course happened). I guess I need to work on being more clear and concise in my writing skills.
But the sellers incredibly flip attitude in his reply to my email is what ultimately made me decide to share the topic here.
I just wanted to make sure if there was one of my Tiki Central pals who might have wanted a Kon Tiki and had seen this on Ebay, didn't get tricked into buy something that was being misrepresented. I guess, really it's not a big deal.
Thank you... that is all. Ugggg! :P

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-27 12:43 ]

K

It's back....

http://cgi.ebay.com/WITCO-Kon-Tiki-Westenhaver-Retro-Eames-Wall-Art-60s_W0QQitemZ5468604232QQcategoryZ553QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I see it has some history here but that is still a pretty swanky wall piece...

Could somebody post a picture of the REAL Witco Kon Tiki? Thanx

Pages: 1 10 replies