Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Chaubunagungamaug!

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

What is it?

A lake in Massachussetts, also know as 'Lake Webster' because people have problems pronouncing the name. It's also the longest name for a place in the United States.

How do you pronounce it?

Give it a try.

I think it sounds like a word like 'abracadabra' or 'shazam'. Try it next time you run into someone you don't like... they'll either dissappear or become very confused.

CHAUBUNAGUNGAMAUG!!!!!!!

R

"I Get Knocked Out, But I Get Up Again! You're Never Gonna Keep Me Down."

H

There was a town in Alaska named Ptarmigan, after the bird. The people in the town had enough trouble with the silent p, either with spelling/pronouncing it themselves, or with others not from the town, that they gave up and renamed the town Chicken, Alaska.

At least, that's the story I'd heard. I didn't bother to check & see if it's true, because I'd rather it just is.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

This is a place in the UK!

D

On 2005-09-16 22:41, Riptide wrote:
"I Get Knocked Out, But I Get Up Again! You're Never Gonna Keep Me Down."

That is the worst f'ing song of all time.

On 2005-09-17 03:38, Humuhumu wrote:
There was a town in Alaska named Ptarmigan, after the bird. The people in the town had enough trouble with the silent p, either with spelling/pronouncing it themselves, or with others not from the town, that they gave up and renamed the town Chicken, Alaska....

... there are those that can only pronounce "albuquerque" as "albucornhole"...

... this is true...

Webster? Until June, that was my home town!

Actually, it's Chargagoggmanchaugagoggchabunagungamaug.

Yes, you have to know how to say it if you live in Webster.

Which mythically means "I fish on my side, you fish on your side and nobody fishes in the middle" but really means something like "Praying indian village near lake" or something in Nipmuc.

P.S. Don't bother going to the Wind Tiki Restaurant in Webster....

D

If you from Webster you know the real pronunciation. For all of the un-experienced here it's really pronounced

CHAW-BUNA-GUNGAMAWG.

Pages: 1 7 replies