Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Weirdest/Ugliest Carving Ever. I had to buy it

Pages: 1 21 replies

This piece is uuuugly, but the price was right ($10) so I had no choice. Would you even consider this thing Tiki???

that's not only ugly, but also highly disturbing.

i might describe it as 'tiki-influenced.'

TM

For those of you from the O.C., it looks like one of the creatures from the old Jungle Island at Knott's. I'm sure one of you O.C. historians could shed some light...

H

exactly what is he doing?

Really? You think its from Knotts? I grew up 1 block from Knotts (and my parents still live there) and don't remember anything like that. I remember the pond, but not artifacts like that. I did find it at a swapmeet in OC though.

Ya this thing is creapy looking. When my brother saw it, he told me that it can't stay in the house. It has to go outside or he'll have nightmares about it...

T

Oface tiki. Yes, I say that its totally tiki. MOre tiki then some things that are passed off as tiki.

I like it. Good score.

I really don't find it ugly at all!! In fact I think it looks pretty damn cool and unique!! It looks Tiki enough to me and if it isn't Tiki to somebody else who "F"in cares. That is a sweet score!! Did they have any others??
Later,
Spermy

No, they didn't have any others. I actually found it late in the day for a swapmeet (~11:30am). And I didn't buy it right when I saw it. I saw it, walked the rest of the swapmeet, then went back and bought it on the way out.

Hell Yeah!! I agree with the Sperm-man. Its unique. I'm proud no matter what I find in the wild.

Looks like either an an Edvard Munch piece, or somebody who just took a knee in the family jewels. Nice score!

I saw the original statue ("Kimchees's Revenge", the natives call it) on one of my visits to a village Kitilita, in Magnesia.

TikiTrevor wrote:

I knew that tiki looked awfully familiar!

TM

On 2005-09-17 15:52, TikiTrevor wrote:
I grew up 1 block from Knotts (and my parents still live there) and don't remember anything like that. I remember the pond, but not artifacts like that. I did find it at a swapmeet in OC though.

Me too, Dale & La Palma, Dysinger, Brookhurst, Savanna, small world.

Slightly reminds me of a Tupilak.... awful evil little totems that Greenlanders (or icelanders cant remember) would use as a black magic attack dogs, similar to a voodoo doll, once made, (out of carved bits of bone, blood, semen, whale tusk, hair..) it would be placed onto an iceflow and pushed out to sea, then to go after the intended victim....
I'll cut and paste the full story of what they are in a bit...

heres a bit more info, culled from a post on the FOM site...
"...and they were conjured to life via sucking on the -ahem- sexual organ of their maker.

Most were made with the intent that they would be thrown into the ocean where they would swim to the makers enemies and kill them. It was not unusual to use bits and pieces of human remains... especially children... to make them."

if you google the term Tupilak you will get much more in depth and historically accurate information on them...

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 5:41 PM

If nothing else it is a great converstaion starter...

TM

For more info on Jungle Island (and pics of the strange wooden creatures I was refering to) go to: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8541&forum=6

I also grew up with Knott’s.
Are we thinking about the sea horses or animals that you could sit on, and when you rocked them, they would spit/shoot water into the pond?
And with no disrespect, he looks like he’s “Taken a Tiki up the Oasis”

TM

On 2005-09-19 22:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I also grew up with Knott’s.
Are we thinking about the sea horses or animals that you could sit on, and when you rocked them, they would spit/shoot water into the pond?
And with no disrespect, he looks like he’s “Taken a Tiki up the Oasis”

We're talkin' about these guys...

H

To me, it looks reminiscent of this tiki, which is on the grounds at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn in San Diego:

T

On 2005-09-17 14:28, Tiki Matt wrote:
For those of you from the O.C., it looks like one of the creatures from the old Jungle Island at Knott's. I'm sure one of you O.C. historians could shed some light...

Nope - not a "Wood-imal" from Jungle Island. Sorry!

Pages: 1 21 replies