Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

VOIVOD'S guitar player Piggy dies.

Pages: 1 2 replies

Denis "Piggy" D'Amour, the brilliantly unique guitar player for Canada's VOIVOD, died last month from advanced colon cancer. He was one of rocks unsung guitar "gods" and he will be missed so much. If you are not familiar with VOIVOD and Piggy's playing, just listen to "Angel Rat" or "Outer Limits" with its 17 minute opus "Jack Luminous" and 3D cover and inner sleeve drawings by drummer Away. These CD's will blow your mind if you like very high energy and extremely progressive music that at times becomes so beautiful that they deny their metal moniker. Their sci-fi lyrics are based on their clever ideas of alien visitation and robotic world domination. Jason Newsted of Metallica fame played bass on their last CD and says that Piggy recorded at least 25 tracks for their next one, so hopefully there will be one last document to the incredible boldness this guy brought to hard rock. Rest in peace Piggy...you ROCK!

[ Edited by: tikitortured 2005-09-17 14:34 ]

Very sorry to hear that TT.
I've got both of those cd's and really like em. He definately had a unique sound that fit their style perfectly. After those albums they went real heavy with the newer aggressive vocalist and I lost touch with them. I liked the vocals on Angel Rat and Outer Limits more. Thanks for the update.

Yeah, on the following 2 CD's they scaled down to a 3 piece and were very thrash/speed metal, that WAS disappointing. However for their last CD entitled simply "VOIVOD" with Jason Newsted on bass, the original singer Snake returned and they were back in classic form.

Pages: 1 2 replies