Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Huell Howser episode on OCEANIC ARTS

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Does anyone know when this will air? I heard maybe sometime in Nov. Any help would be appreciated

Thanx

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - removed "new" from subject - 2015-08-04 12:46 ]

I checked the website for California Gold, but found nothing listed.

However, they are always taking recommendations for future shows. I sent off an email suggesting a show on California's Tiki culture. If enough people suggested it, they just might do it.

No, I'm serious he was there this past Fri. filming a show. (I heard he got a little tippled from the mai tais)

Oceanic Arts doesn't serve Mai-Tais. They won't even serve you during their lunch break.

I don't know about that. I'm told Bob and LeRoy serve a mighty good Mai Tai. I think you might have to twist their arms a bit, but they might set it up on a slow day.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-18 11:31 ]

I am glad this finally is becoming a reality. HH has been talking for years about doing something with OA (and the Tiki Ti, which used to be his hangout), he even came by the first (or was it the second?) Tiki Oasis...but nothing ever happened after that.
He has such a line up of stories, he's in no hurry for finding subject matters. Having taped it just last week, it might take months, maybe half a year to air...or not. Hopefully OA will let us know when.
And I agree, OA does not serve Mai Tais on a regular basis, but I am sure the back room bar was opened for this local TV royalty.

Louie, come look at this!

A few years ago HH. did a piece about Bruce Meyers. (Who invented the Dune Buggy. (but won't say so for fear of litigation)I was really bummed to have missed the airing of it.

Anyway, if it has somehow already aired, you can buy copies from the University of San Diego.

G

On 2005-09-19 06:20, Gigantalope wrote:
A few years ago HH. did a piece about Bruce Meyers. (Who invented the Dune Buggy. (but won't say so for fear of litigation)I was really bummed to have missed the airing of it.

They aired that one -- at least on the KQED -- just a week ago.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

B

I don't know how many sent a suggestion to Huell about doing a segment on "OA", but I did last month. I can hardly wait to see it.

You know, that just might have been the trigger to make him do it, it is always a matter of right time/right place.

I heard that the Mai Tai effects were grossly exaggerated, and merely a slanderous rumor!

I also heard that it might air sometime in November.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Huell Howser. He told me he recently did a piece(show) at Oceanic Arts in Whittier, CA. He interviewed Leroy Schmaltz and Bob van Oosting and it is scheduled to air in November. Huell told me the dates and times are 11/10 @ 6pm & 12:30am and again on 11/22 @ 6pm & 12:30am. It will air on PBS (KCET for us LA locals.) What a nice guy Huell is! He is very interested in the TIKI HISTORY of California!!! After talking with him I am sure there will be more shows regarding TIKI in the near future!!!
I can't wait to see and hear the stories Leroy and Bob talk to Huell about!
SoccerTiki

Merged.

D

Huell has known about us (Polynesian pop enthusiasts) for some time now, we have proof! Santacon archived images! And darn it, isn't he one himself? I have to say it, what on earth has taken him so long to get a tiki segment together, sheesh! Don't get me wrong I love THE Huell but why hasn't he done anything for the tiki sooner?
Yea for Bob n' Leroy and everyone at OA. Sounds like a fun episode! I can't wait to see it!
My prayers have been answered...Huell and tiki together, finally!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-23 21:27 ]

Well it's about Muther-F*ckin' time... I tried to get his interest in Tiki 3 1/2 years ago but didn't think he'd ever do anything on it. Here's the original thread --

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=61&forum=1&hilite=huell%20howser

D

On 2005-09-23 21:49, Polynesian Pop wrote:
Well it's about Muther-F*ckin' time...

Potty mouth... :P

Thanks Soccer Tiki for getting the exact dates and times, the OA boys deserve all the recognition they can get/are getting.

WooHooo! Can't wait to see Huell at Oceanic Arts. Maybe he will ge the Tiki Fever and do other episodes on Tiki Places :)

Good one, Dawn Tiki! I love that you remembered that picture. At the time that Santacon pic was taken, Huell had been expressing an interest in doing a show or small series about SoCal Tiki to Sven.

Huell showed up at Oasis on a Sunday that year after most had gone home, but fortunately many principal players remained and he interviewed them. Still, the anticipated Howser shows did not materialize.

Santa visited Farmer's Market later that year and as usual this sight of bad, ribald and just plain cheesy revellers is difficult to ignore. It just so happened that Huell was there to witness the assault.

Oh, my gosh, what is this, he wanted to know and the ones he asked were the Tiki Clauses. Even though he's Huell, he was still given the boilerplate responses. "Who put this together?" Answer: "Santa". And so on. I finally said, "Santa's undercover. Santa doesn't need the publicity". Huell goes, (imagine this in the Howser delivery)

"Well, how 'undercover' could it be?!"

as he looks around at these dozens of drunken Kringle defamers streaming around the marketplace. Point partially taken, you friendly, yet tiki denying bastard. I then took the opportunity to ask, "What happened to the tiki shows you were going to do?"

If I recall correctly he answered that these shows take time, or somesuch flimsy non-answer. Anybody else that was there, feel free to fill in details. That's what I have to say about that.

D

off the Huell and OA topic for a minute...I would love to see some of the chaos and hijinx that ensues at Santa Con without actually having to be there? Legal reasons :wink: Any chance of you setting up a "Santa Con Cam" this year Floratina? Ok, Back to you Huell...

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-28 08:30 ]

K

I love hewell,I acculay met him once,realy nice guy,I cant wait to see the show...

I talked to Bob at Oceanic Arts today. He says the interview with Huell was a lot of fun...They're all looking forward to seeing the finished copy in November. They are VERY BUSY at O.A (so if you have any tiki decoration plans, you better get over there and get your supplies!!!! I was lucky enough to pick up a thatch umbrella covering as they sell out in hours when they get a shipment in!!!) Anyway, from talking to Huell and Bob, it sounds like this upcoming episode (Nov. 11, 6pm & 12:30 and Nov. 22 same times) is one you want to get on tape!!!!!
SoccerTiki

Dawn -

Even if Santa stayed in one place throughout the event I would still lack the expertise, equipment and clearance to carry off a webcast. Santa is restless, drunk, in a state of chaos and constantly on the move. Looks like you and Frank will have to suit up and join in!

D

BaaaaHummmBug!

Don't forget!!!! November 10th @ 6pm for the Oceanic Arts/Huell Howser special on PBS!!!!!! Get your VCRs ready!!!
SoccerTiki

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2005-11-03 07:31 ]

On 2005-11-01 16:10, SoccerTiki wrote:
Don't forget!!!! November 11th @ 6pm for the Oceanic Arts/Huell Howser special on PBS!!!!!! Get your VCRs ready!!!
SoccerTiki

I'll be gone building another tiki bar up north. Can soneone tape this for me? Or, disc it?

Bob and Le Roy Rock! Living Ledgends!!!

Mahaloz!

H

Huell Howser's website lists the airdate on his home station (KCET) to be on November 10, at 6 p.m. Be sure to check your local listings to learn when you can catch it where you live.

T

I just set the TIVO to record it. It's listed under Visiting...With Huell Howser.

My local PBS channels (KQED and KTEH) don't air the "Visiting... with Huell Howser" series, just "California's Gold". I desperately hope I am wrong, but I can't find any listings for the "Visiting..." series on PBS in the Bay Area.

Huell sells the video of the tiki episode of "Visiting..." on his website, it's episode #1310, the title of it is "Tiki", of course.

Now I have Tivo envy.

On 2005-11-02 15:24, Humuhumu wrote:
Huell Howser's website lists the airdate on his home station (KCET) to be on November 10, at 6 p.m. Be sure to check your local listings to learn when you can catch it where you live.

Yes, it will also air at 12:30 am (the 11th) and again on 11/22 at 6pm and again 12:30 am....(That's according to Huell)
SoccerTiki

(using my Huell voice) Oh my God, that's truly spectacular!

Say, have any of you seen when Huell was on the Simpsons? It was hilarious...

On 2005-09-23 20:18, SoccerTiki wrote:
Ok, I just got off the phone with Huell Howser. He told me he recently did a piece(show) at Oceanic Arts in Whittier, CA. He interviewed Leroy Schmaltz and Bob van Oosting and it is scheduled to air in November. Huell told me the dates and times are 11/10 @ 6pm & 12:30am and again on 11/22 @ 6pm & 12:30am. It will air on PBS (KCET for us LA locals.) What a nice guy Huell is! He is very interested in the TIKI HISTORY of California!!! After talking with him I am sure there will be more shows regarding TIKI in the near future!!!
I can't wait to see and hear the stories Leroy and Bob talk to Huell about!
SoccerTiki

Reminder!!!! This Thursday @ 6pm PST on PBS....Set your VCRs or get some friends together for a great Visiting with Huell Howser episode from Oceanic Arts with Leroy Schmaltz and Bob van Oosting.... Huell said he had a great time shooting it and the guys from O.A. are great...Huell mentioned a little impromptu hula show from the crew at O.A adorned in their products.....I hope it didn't get cut from the final! (It'll replay again at 12:30 am 11/11)
SoccerTiki

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2005-11-07 11:08 ]

I set the "Tivo" at my parents house for it and the description was "Tiki Education"

Already got the DVR set.

WooHooo! Don't forget to tune into KCET tomorrow night at 6:00pm :)

WooHooo! It's tonight!!!!!!

man, all you stinky californians have all the luck! :wink:

it's not airing in texas. guess i'll have to buy the video.

On 2005-11-10 18:08, heelgrinder wrote:
man, all you stinky californians have all the luck! :wink:

it's not airing in texas. guess i'll have to buy the video.

Trade me a mug and I'll send you a copy!!!!
Soccertiki

I haven't watched Huell in a while, I know he has that "awe shucks" delivery but he was like a kid with A.D.D. on this episode. It made me nuts! He constantly walked away as the interviewee was talking, leaving them in mid-sentence and rifling another question before the first one was answered. He also had to touch everything! I thought he was going to knock over a couple of tikis at one point. And when he walked through each hanging beaded curtain I loved it when the guy called him out and said, "Huell, you are acting like the kids that come in here..."

T

"IS that the ACT-UALL TIKI Beads????? That's TEEE-KIII too, isn't it? Louie - get a shot of THAAAAT...."

Gotta love Huell, man.

Watched it last night, it was great to see Leroy carve alittle at the end & hearing the Smoking Menehunes playing in the background. Wish the show was longer, they didnt show any of the vintage mugs in the case at OA.

TBird.

It's great to see Bob and LeRoy getting publicity! Swell show guys! :D
I'm glad HH finally got his Migh Tigh... :drink:

T

For those who missed it I've posted the OA episode at the following address:

http://www.aridjungle.com/AridJungle/Oceanic_Arts.html

Will try to post higher resolution version soon...Vic

HIGHER RESOLUTION VIDEO NOW AVAIABLE!!!

Mahalo.............TikiVic

[ Edited by: TikiVic 2005-11-15 03:06 ]

[ Edited by: TikiVic 2005-11-15 03:07 ]

WooHoo! Mucho Mahalo Tikvic for your posting!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2005-11-11 17:28 ]

T

Thanks for posting the episode. Now it's time for the Huell Howser Drinking Game: Suck 'em up every time he says "tiki". Call me before you start to let me know where to send the ambulance. I think he said it more in that half hour than all the previous times it's ever been uttered on TV - by anyone!

Good for OA, but oh man did HH's manufactured enthusiasm get tedious. Sad that anything tiki that reaches television has to always be "Woo-hoo! Party! Am I getting craaaaazy now or what?! Look! I'm wearing a HAT!!! Woooooooo!"

Yes, Damn fine of you to make the episode available for all who wish to see it TikiVic! Damn fine! That's ALOHA!

It was a good episode. I wish they would have just cut out the host! He was so annoying. Rama you were right, he did touch everything! Man, if I was the guys from OA, I would have smacked his hand away and told him not to touch. And what was with his dancing?? It didn't look like he was doing the hula, it looked like he was scared the way he kept knocking his knees together. Despite the hostess with the leastest, OA RULES!

Wow...that dancing of Huell's was beyond bizarre...it looked like he drank a case of beer and couldn't hold it anymore. Or else he forgot his medicine.

I was soooooo waiting for him to break something. That South Pacific sign, the way he crashed it down, I thought for sure it was a goner. He's not a very subtle person...I've seen many of his episodes, and it looks like he's always on the verge of busting something up-usually something old, historic, or delicate.

So now I know...a shirt with fish on it is tiki. No one should ever let Huell have a mai tai ever again.

I stopped by OA today since I was in the area.

I was going to ask if Huell managed to break anything while he was there, but I forgot.

The employees did a reprise of their dance. :lol:

Pages: 1 2 57 replies