Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

when are you a tiki person?

Pages: 1 30 replies

E
ewik posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 10:45 AM

At the tiki art 2 show this weekend I had talked to a few people about mug collecting. My thoughts where always I am not a tiki person, sure I like the occasional mug but I can quit any time I want to. After talking several people I started thinking about how much money I had spent on mugs and how many I had. I went home this weekend and started to count them. I came up with 55 mugs. do I have a problem? am I in denial, am I a tiki collector? should I talk to my therapist about "collection"? Is it weird that I use a Munktiki mug that I bought on ebay for $75 for to drink my tang in the morning?

Puh-leeeze... Just lighten up and enjoy the ride...

No, its just weird that u drink tang.
aloha

You only have 55 mugs? That's nothing! 8)

Yes, you're a collector. What's the problem?

Guys, be a little more sensitive, we should help him come to terms with his condition, he is obviously trying to come out of the closet!

D

One of something is a pre collection. Two of anything is a collection.

of course, if you'd like to be cured of this condition, just send everything to me.

some solutions are easy!

elicia

T

My thought this morning, I have been collecting mugs for a year and its the first thing that I can say I've collected. I have bought baseball card type stuff, but nothing of this level. The mugs that I buy are more then the pants that I wear. And I wear then for many many years. My parents have collections too that they have had for years (Makes for easy Christmas shopping).

When I started collecting a year ago I thought that the mugs looked good but that I wouldn't buy them. Then I thought that the price on the import Munktiki was a super price. I bought a couple and then more. I usually don't buy things that have shipping. Now I buy more tiki things then anything else. Yes I think it could very well be a problem.

I have more tiki mugs now then I have space for. That is a problem too. I think that I will start to cut back and later down the road, I can always buy them of Ebay. I can buy them off Ebay for probably the same price today. Inflation of the dollar will even it out and I will have a better paying job in the future too. I need to just be a fan on the sideline for now.

You're perfectly fine, Eric. When you start collecting acryllic grapes - that's when it's time to seek psychiatric help... Now, back to my collection of grapes...

Welcome, by the way!

H

Ewik, one thing is for sure, you are a tiki collector in denial. However you are in the right place amongst us tiki loving people. We understand. :D

Hello Eric
At this point in time I do not feel that you have a problem nor are you a Tiki Mug Collector. The official number for a Tiki Mug Collection is 56 or more with only 55 mugs you are still sane and in no need of a therapist.
Cheers
Munkle

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 5:32 PM

Yep, Im afraid to say it - you're addicted. This is only the beginning though. You know you got it bad when you are putting your bodily organs on the black market because youve just seen a mint Ren Clarke mug on Ebay.

Aloha Ewik. Welcome.

I just wanted to add that I dig yr stuff (if this is you)
http://www.ewik.com

T

Who is man of Munkle and welcome I guess cause you have 3 posts so far.

On 2005-09-19 10:57, Tiki Rider wrote:
No, its just weird that u drink tang.
aloha

HEY! Tang is great, when it's not smoking. It's chocked full of vitamins and ministers.

http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-09-19 19:27 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 06:50 ]

You'll know that you are a "Tiki Person" when you order things like THESE:

http://www.accoutrements.com/products/11553.html

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 20, 2005 5:24 PM

On 2005-09-20 14:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

Hahahaha

T

I thought this thread was about 'when are you a tiki person' as in:

"At night"
"In the mid afternoon"
"only at Parties"

and so on!

ahhah

E
ewik posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 9:30 AM

How lame am I, I could not remember where I posted this at. I spent the last couple of days looking in the main area for it ha haha.

http://www.ewik.com thats me

MMMMMMMM plastic grapes, BTW I love my Winston Curchhill tiki drawing sam.

So I just realized I forgot to count that extra Evil Bastard mug so I guess that puts me at 56 ha ha

B

Actually, you did post it in the main area but the Mods decided it wasn't worthy of main area discussion and moved it here.

And get over it. No need in being obsessed over whether or not you should label yourself.

On 2005-09-21 11:45, badmojo wrote:
Actually, you did post it in the main area but the Mods decided it wasn't worthy of main area discussion and moved it here.

Fer the record -- it wasn't a mod decision, it got U-Modded by users. These days, it's extraordinarily rare for us to move something without having received U-Mods, you can pretty much bet that if something got moved, it's because TCers U-Modded it.

Also, posts get moved to other areas because it helps to organize the content by topic of discussion; topics in the main area aren't there because they're more "worthy" of discussion. They just don't belong in the other areas (or haven't been U-Modded yet, or have gotten conflicting U-Mods).

I am still a little surprised at the lack of sense of humor in some of these replies. I really don't think that Ewik was expressing serious concerns weighing heavily on his soul, merely trying to open a playful discussion.

M

*when are you a tiki person? *

Heck if I know, I like grenadine in my pineapple juice Mai-Tais and Jimmy Buffett(the new stuff, too).

However, I do know when I became a Tiki "man". That was Manila, 1983, first port of call for seaman midnite. If you know what I mean, and I think you do...nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

I later became a captain, but I was never in the Navy.

midnite

E
ewik posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 3:33 PM

It did not even cross my mind that it was a question about collecting tiki stuff I was just poking fun at my self. I thought that this forum was more for serious talk on collecting tiki stuff. I have to admit though the serious answers to a silly topic are funny.
For me the tiki stuff is all about not taking life so seriously. I cant tell you how funny it is when my ultra conservative christian aunt comes over to visit and the only thing I have clean for her to drink from is an evil bastard mug.

T

On 2005-09-21 15:33, ewik wrote:
I cant tell you how funny it is when my ultra conservative christian aunt comes over to visit and the only thing I have clean for her to drink from is an evil bastard mug.

Ouch!
I like the tiki band aids by the way. I almost ordered some and then realized the shipping was more than the band aids. So I've decided to pick some up at Archie's when I'm in Seattle next month!
Ewik-- if that is your real name--
I'd say you should be worried about being "a problem collector" rather than just a collector. It's like the difference between a problem gambler and someone who plays the slots once in a while.
When you start using rent money, car payments, or grocery money to buy tiki mugs, you definitely have a problem. :) You don't do you? If it's all, oh what's that word, discretionary spending, then don't worry about it.
Now where did I put that money we were saving for a down payment on a house?

H

Ewik, it sounds like you & I are in the same boat. I was in denial about being a mug collector for a long time, until I looked at my mug shelf and realized that I had mugs piling up on the floor that weren't fitting. Now I get all twitchy at the sight of the Munktiki vending machine. I've given up on fighting it.

We felt a little rushed at the art show last week; I would have liked to have chatted more with folks, but I wouldn't have recognized you, anyhow! Perhaps they should make the artists wear a red dot on their head at those things. :)

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 5:45 PM

On 2005-09-21 16:25, Humuhumu wrote:
Perhaps they should make the artists wear a red dot on their head at those things. :)

How about a standardised TC tatt?
"I'm a TC member and Im addicted to tiki paraphanalia. Don't start me talking on tiki unless you dig it too cause I will never shut up about it. Ill talk about suffering bastard mugs and Witco art until your eyes are rolling back into your head as you feverishly look for an out and the sun starts to come up to announce a new day. And if Im drunk, it could be even worse..."
Well, that might not fit on peoples foreheads, but you get the idea.

On 2005-09-20 14:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

Got'em. :lol:

MG

What up Ewik! I met you at Comicon....

56! ..... ?

Pages: 1 30 replies