Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Damn! Got out-sniped again!

Pages: 1 27 replies

Saw this set of Westpac mugs on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=732486791&rd=1

Thought there was only 3 different types in the set - I guess there's actually 4!

M

"Live by the snipe, die by the..."

Those mugs are pretty nice, but I waved from the dock as it left the $20 level. What I wanted was that "Hawaiian Village" mug Gecko just won yesterday. Another one will come along, they always do.

Looks like Marty added some more to his already huge collection. I simply haven't the space! Still, midnite frowns upon electronic means employed for sniping. Not sporting.

Ebay should extend the auctions automatically until 2 minutes transpire without a bid. Ebay should also change the feedback system so it's worthwhile and relevant.

Oh, and there should be root beer in the drinking fountains.

midnite

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-05 10:12 ]

M

Pop,
You are unaware of Esnipe?

http://www.esnipe.com/

Ebay should allow auctions to be extended for a minute after the last bid. It's a fundamental flaw of Ebay, but it makes them money. I shall not be awaiting for them to change the process.

midnite

My name is Donald and I am a SNIPER also. Many times I have tried to avoid it, but it keeps calling out my name "DONALD Snipe someones auction, SNIPE THEM NOW!" and I cant help myself. I am on my 12 steps to recovery now. #1 was to admit I snipe! I am a dirty no good for nothing bastard!

Oh, I forgot my new signature on the last post.

What if the Moai Listened to the Sex Pistols?

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-11-12 15:27 ]

Pop, You are unaware of Esnipe?

Ummm...kind of. I am aware of sniping software, I just don't use it. I'm so spontaneous with my collection sometimes I'll put in an early bid only to decide I no longer want the item later. That's why most of the time I wait until the end. If I still really want it, I'll bid on it then. Saves me a little $$$ - not to mention keeping the auction price on an item low.

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-12 15:36 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-05 10:13 ]

I must chime in and say the old Westpac mugs are pretty foul-looking! While I realise that they are a little tricky to get hold of, they remind me of those rubber balls shaped like monsters that used to be popular in the 80's.

Does anyone like them for their aesthetic rather than rarity value?

Trader Woody

T

Being a regular to eBay, I thought he was an avid competitor like the rest of us - now I know he's just a cheater.

In all fairness to edgeoftexas, if you check the bid history on the item, he placed his bid four seconds before PolynesianPop did. So he can't really be accused of sniping in this case.

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2002-11-12 20:05 ]

S

On 2002-11-12 14:53, midnite_tiki wrote:
Pop,
You are unaware of Esnipe?

http://www.esnipe.com/
midnite

Wow, Midnight!

I had no idea about this sniping thing (can't read all the posts, I guess).

I feel for you, Popster. Like the rest of us, I yearn for all those great rare mugs that I fear I will never possess. But I will say that I made a great trade with Midnight sometime ago and I think we should continue to encourage trading -- especially here where we all lust for many of the same mugs. I just made a great trade this past weekend and I hope to continue this ritual (of the suburban savage) with those that would partake.

I've been watching edgeoftexas for sometime now and I am tiki green with envy. All I can say is that I'd like too see his collection!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:28 ]

M

But I will say that I made a great trade with Midnight sometime ago and I think we should continue to encourage trading --

Uncle Artry,
Hiya! Yes, that was the best trade. My "Aloha Hut" mug is just about my fave mug, at least top 3.

"I just made a great trade this past weekend and I hope to continue this ritual (of the suburban savage) with those that would partake."

Agree. Just traded with TikiHula for one of my Kelvin's mugs. I wish we could do more mug/item trading here on TC. I do sell a lot more outside of ebay, I am too impatient at times to wait for that week to end. Plus, no one bids until the last day...that drives me crazy!

"I've been watching edgeoftexas for sometime now and I am tiki green with envy. All I can say is that I'd like too see his collection!"

Marty does have a great collection, he overbids me on enough things, that's for sure. He's a first-rate Tiki collector. I bet he doesn't have an "Aloha Hut" mug...nahh, he probably does.

Happy hunting,
midnite

S

Hey Midnite,

Call me crazy but when I first saw edgeoftexas out there he was collecting very basic stuff like Orchids of Hawaii and common Otagiri. In the past few months I have seen his tiki obsession grow with him dropping a shitload of money on rare items -- far more mula than most of us can keep up with (he is currently bidding on Trader Pup's Don the Beachcomber mug -- I feel a snipe approaching!).

This may sound petty but I hope he doesn't have Aloha Hut! Gives us one up on him!!!

By the way, I traded the my last Aloha Hut duplicate along with a number of mugs for something very special. I will post as soon as I can muster a picture!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

"I do not shun adventure if it comes my way"

• Thor Heyerdahl

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:52 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-11-12 20:59 ]

stentiki wrote:
In the past few months I have seen his tiki obsession grow with him dropping a shitload of money on rare items...

I've always wondered....is a shitload more or less than a truckload?...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

SugarCaddyDaddy

T

Edgeoftexas is registered on the board, and was the one who was the main conspirator in the great Mauna Loa 'Buy It Now' tragedy of 2002.

He's watching us. All of us.

The crow flies at midnight.

On 2002-11-12 21:09, tikifish wrote:
He's watching us. All of us.

creeeeeeeepyyy....

S

Any long term Ebayer is going to wait to bid as late as possible. That's the way it works. I usually bid in the last 30 seconds.

But I agree it is an Ebay flaw. If there is a bid in the last 2 minutes, the auction should be extended 5 minutes. It's in Ebay's favor because they get a percentage, especially through PayPal. It's in the seller's favor because they get more money. It's in the bidder's favor because they get a chance to win what they want if they are outbid in the last second.

S

I always wait until the last 30 sec too. No sense in driving up the bids too early.

Ebay should make extended auctions optional, just like "buy it now" and reserve prices. If a user wishes to end it like normal do nothing. But if you want to extend past the normal auction end, until no bids are received for 5 minutes check this box.

Exactly! Goes with the true auction notion of "going once, going twice.... SOLD!"

:tiki:

SullTiki wrote:
Ebay should make extended auctions optional, just like "buy it now" and reserve prices...if you want to extend past the normal auction end, until no bids are received for 5 minutes check this box.

Unfortunately, we are dealing with a medium other than human interaction in ebay auctions: computers.

So, if ebay programs an option to not end until a bid hasn't been received for 1, 2, 5 or so minutes, then there will always be a sniping program developed somewhere to continuously increase bids. Thus, by that measure, you could have a neverending auction since someone would just keep bidding, creating abuse and headaches for ebay, their programming, and most likely have ebay going back to just ending an auction at a set time just like it does now.

My one coconuts worth (I already spent the other one on ebay).

SugarCaddyDaddy

E-bay sort of does that now by raising your bid up to your max, I'm not sure what benifit a program that does that would be, not that people wouldn't do it just to be schmucks.

Personally I still bid the old fashoned way, though I'm cheap so I bid low and usually get out bid, but on occasion I actually win something, and that just makes it all the sweeter! Maybe I should join the darkside.

Steve

Unfortunately, we are dealing with a medium other than human interaction in ebay auctions: computers.

So, if ebay programs an option to not end until a bid hasn't been received for 1, 2, 5 or so minutes, then there will always be a sniping program developed somewhere to continuously increase bids. Thus, by that measure, you could have a neverending auction since someone would just keep bidding, creating abuse and headaches for ebay, their programming, and most likely have ebay going back to just ending an auction at a set time just like it does now.

My one coconuts worth (I already spent the other one on ebay).

SugarCaddyDaddy

[ Edited by: Steve Kapu on 2002-11-13 10:57 ]

S

For those of you who like Westpac tiki mugs, here is an auction with a matching pair...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=735748663

Thanks for the heads-up Tiki Maniac. I happen to already have that one. The first auction I posted intrigued me because I saw a fourth Westpac that I've never seen before & never knew existed. I always thought there were only three. The mug in question is the one on the far right:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=732486791&rd=1

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-11-14 12:06 ]

Hey Pop! Did you get your mug?

[ Edited by: kokomotikibar&grill on 2002-11-14 10:41 ]

I have the one on the far right...Would anyone be willing to buy it from me or trade for it?

TikiManiac,
I would definitely be willing to buy/trade for that mug! Contact me at [email protected]. Maybe we can work something out.

Kokomo,
Yes, I got the mug. What else can I say but SWEEEEET! I bid on that mug specifically because of the poppy seed glaze you did. I also wanted to get the tall one with the big eyes & lips but forgot about it and the auction closed!

On 2002-11-14 12:07, PolynesianPop wrote:
TikiManiac,
I would definitely be willing to buy/trade for that mug! Contact me at [email protected]. Maybe we can work something out.

I sent you an email PolynesianPop!

[ Edited by: TikiManiac on 2002-11-15 07:18 ]

Pages: 1 27 replies