Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palama's 2-foot Bar Moai: New Moai added 9/26/05 on Pg. 2

Pages: 1 23 replies

I was inspired by this foamy post to do a 2-foot AAC moai for the bar area of a friend of mine...

On 2004-08-01 14:16, foamy wrote:
I get it now. The connection between fez/Shriner/tiki... these guys were found in line, like they were facing a bar. The wooden bars deteriorated ages ago and the early explorers pinched the glasses.

Originally i was going to carve him so that a martini glass would fit in his hand, but it didn't work out that way, so here he is... thanks anyway, foamy, for the inspiration!

i took him with me to Benzart's place last week for some critiquing, and Benz gave me some pointers, so i ended up tweaking the hands abit, based on his comments.. I teased him as best I could, Ben!

Thanks for lookin' !

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-09-26 17:53 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 7:21 AM

Wow man thats awesome! The lines are so smooth and nice. Thats way sweet :)

Man! you got carving this AAC down! Very nicely done - he's one cool looking moai

Palama-
That is awesome. You are the AAC King!!

Thank you hewey, polynesiac, and moondance. you guys keep me inspired to keep on carving. i appreciate your support!

B

Palama, Very nice teasing job, he looks Awesome. You have done a remarkable job with all the Difficult, easiness of the Moai. Veery Nice, I Love it.

Thanks Ben, for the props and for the advice. i sloped his shoulders as well like you suggested. those Moai are tricky guys...

F
foamy posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 1:25 PM

Hey, you know what, PT? That's way cool. I like the whole look of the thing, the texture, the form and you even lit it nicely for the photographs. Nice work man. Your buddy's a lucky fella. You're a talented sculptor. I'd like to see more.

[ Edited by: foamy 2005-09-23 13:27 ]

Thanks foamy, you were my inspiration! my wife is the photography director; she makes sure the lighting and backdrop are correct.

i'm making another one for my buddy that's going outside amongst his tropical plants, but that's just a 2 foot head, not a full-body. i'll post pics when he's finished.

hey Palama tiki....this one is really super...i dig the
fingers....cool cool cool...very inspiring....did I say
that the fingers knock me out!

Thanks congatiki... i'm glad you like the fingers. i originally had them more or less engraved into the belly, but Benz suggested that i lower the belly area and bring out the fingers more, so i started shaving away the concrete to give the hands more dimension.

Very, VERY cool stuff, PT!

Thanks Sam, and i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of YOUR very cool stuff!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 7:59 PM

Ahhh, I see man-breasts! :)

yes, you do, Gman.... he can be flabby cuz he's not stayin' at my house...! :)

Here's the other 2-foot Moai that I made for my buddy; this guy's going outside, so i did a two-tone gray paint scheme on him to give added weather protection, and i wanted to try something alittle different. the pukao is a fleckstone gray, and the rest is layers of charcoal gray and black.

hewey, is this what you had in mind?

Benz, this is the guy that was giving me fits...

the lighting is abit off on this one...

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2005 6:04 PM

Sweet Palama! I love it.

I was getting at more a traditional styled moai, with the head bit in red. Just like the original ones. (I will call it mini maoi!)

This ones cool as is though dude

thanks hewey. i was going to do the red headdress, but then decided to do gray on gray.

Jeff-
You are the AAC man!!

B

Palama Tiki, you are fast becoming the Moai Master. This one looks SO Good that a lot of us will be afraid to do moai any more. You have those subtle moves down pat. He looks so clean and natural. The RapaNui' would be very proud, or maybe very jealous.
Keep it up.

Thanks Moondance and Benz... I truly appreciate all the kind words and support!

hey palama- I like the look of this one, it has some of your style in it. Very nicely done.

You sellin' any of these?

Palm, you have mastered the Moai from every angle. It it just me, or does that last one look a bit like Hugh Grant?

hey polynesiac... thanks.. i have a 'style'? :)
yes, the moai are available for purchase. PM me if you are interested. thanks!

A-A: thanks. as a matter of fact, Hugh was in-between pictures, so he agreed to sit and model for me. but after awhile, the 150# rock i had on his head started to crush his skull.... wimp! so i sent him packin'. :wink:

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-09-28 11:08 ]

Pages: 1 23 replies