Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Man Behind The New Tiki Craze (1958)

Pages: 1 9 replies

.......is youthful Edward Malcombe Brownlee.

In an article from 1958 titled "Island Idol Sculptor" it goes on about a 24 year old guy from Oregon who came to the islands to work on his masters in art at the University of Hawaii in 1954. A Honolulu archetect needed Polynesian decor for a new Waikiki hotel (which one is not mentioned) and from there he began a new career carving idols for offices, restaurants, hotels, and residences.

Currently (1958) he is working on the decor of Waikiki's new International Village. For his models , Brownlee has drawn upon the idols of the Cook, Marquesas, and Hawaiian islands. The Bishop Museum has been his major influence, and his tools are a chisel and an adz. Sometimes he paints his Polynesian gods, which gives added emphasis to the grimacing and intriguing images.

Was the International Village the original name for the International Market Place? I did a search on this artist and found nothing. Seems odd that we have not heard of this guy......or have we?

Here's a website with address and phone number.

I guess you could call him up and ask him!

[ Edited by: phillip roberts 2012-07-01 12:01 ]

B

Thanks fil, and I suppose you are hiding pictures also? I fully understand that you would not like to reveal the gems of your book before it is published..

Right on... this is so cool!
What a job... wake up in the tropics, go carve some tikis, finish your day with a sunset and a seafood dinner...

Sign me up!

On 2005-09-23 10:44, filslash wrote:
Aloha,

Dammnit. I was saving this, but OK, I'll fess up. I've actually been in contact with Edward for my book project for about 2 years now.

"The Wood Carver of Waikiki," he's 76 now, and lives in Oregon with his wife, and dog. He does not like to use the phone, and he, and I write letters back, and forth.

The International Market Place's original projected name was "The Hawaiian Village." While trying to secure funds for the venture, Don Beach, took Henry Kaiser to dinner, and told him his secret plans. Kaiser decided to open his own rival hotel and complex, and took the name (and much of Don's staff like singing waiter Alfred Alpaka) hence the secondary name for the complex.

Edward was University Of Hawaii at Manoa's first Masters student studying under Jean Charlot. Architects Wimberly and Cook, commissioned him to do the major work at the Tahitian Lanai, The Waikikiian Hotel, and Canlis. He did work for Matson. Don had him do most of the carvings at The International Market Place (Only a few still are there, his last major poles were torn down in July), and also took him to Vegas for the wood work at the Aku Aku in '61. He later turned to metal sculpture, and currently carves Jade occasionally.

peace,
fil/
[ Edited by: filslash 2005-09-23 10:46 ]

Have I told you lately that I love you? Keep up the good work! :D

H

What a great find, Bongofury! I'm excited to learn more from your new book, fil.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 23, 2005 3:48 PM

On 2005-09-23 08:08, bongofury wrote:
Was the International Village the original name for the International Market Place? I did a search on this artist and found nothing. Seems odd that we have not heard of this guy......or have we?

On 2005-09-23 10:44, filslash wrote:
The International Market Place's original projected name was "The Hawaiian Village." While trying to secure funds for the venture, Don Beach, took Henry Kaiser to dinner, and told him his secret plans. Kaiser decided to open his own rival hotel and complex, and took the name (and much of Don's staff like singing waiter Alfred Alpaka) hence the secondary name for the complex.

I've got a copy of that same magazine with the Brownlee article and, as bongofury quoted, it says that he is currently working on the decor of the new International Village "a project that will carry him well into the new year."

In the same issue is an ad for The International Marketplace. It's a couple of pages prior to the table of contents (the ad pages are not numbered). By the look of the photos in the International Marketplace ad it appears that the Marketplace was well up and running while the International Village was still being built. Looks that way anyhow. Does that mesh with what you've learned filslash?

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-01 12:02 ]

Thanks for the link ookoo lady.......we all look forward to your book Filslash, I have lots of Hawaii brochures, newspapers, magazines from the 50s & 60s. I would be glad to share anything I have with you.

Bongofury

Pages: 1 9 replies