Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Ren Clark's Polynesian Village Tiki Mug Headhunter Rare

Pages: 1 29 replies

Ren Clark's Polynesian Village Tiki Mug Headhunter Rare!

Have you seen this listing on Ebay?

That thing. To think it was one of the last objects I photographed for the BOT (loaned by Martin McIntosh all the way from Australia!), and the reaction it got since!

What I am still hoping to find somewhere is a period photo of a beehived beauty drinking out of one, we know it must exist!?

In the brochure on BOT P. 44 they do not have any on the table, but you can make out two behind the bar, on the shelves above the mixers (magnifying glass needed)

S

Having "Ren Clark" on the bottom mean's it'll never go un-noticed on Ebay. It'll never sell cheap. Unless you find it in the wild (and look at where that one is selling from! Don't give up hope!) you'll have to spend big to own it now.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 7:18 AM

On 2005-09-25 00:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
That thing. To think it was one of the last objects I photographed for the BOT (loaned by Martin McIntosh all the way from Australia!), and the reaction it got since!

That means I could be close to one right now? Whats the guys address, and what times is he out of the house...

About the only way Im gonna get my hands on one. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it in the BoT :)

what is the most ever paid for a tiki mug? will this be it?

Let's get ready to (RUM)ble!!! In the blue corner, weighing in at nearly 1 million mugs and currently holding the cruiser weight belt, danlovestikis! And in the black corner from an undisclosed location in the U.S. With over 3 zillion tiki mugs and the current heavyweight champion of the world, kohalacharms!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?viewItem&rd=1&item=7714108019

That mug is over $700 and still has six hours left?!! YIKES!

$1267 is my guess

M

*what is the most ever paid for a tiki mug? will this be it?

On eBay? I recall a Blue Hawaii Tiki Bob that sold for over a grand. That was a while ago. Some individual mugs have hit the $500-700 range of late. Of course, there was the Kahiki Mystery bowl that went for 800 bones. I recall a Zombie Village fogcutter that did very, very well for a local seller.

That's just eBay, private sales are a whole different matter. Or so I am told. I know nu-theeng!

I don't see this one going a lot higher, I think Dan has thrown in the towel. Could be wrong, or there could be a little-known but wildly deep-pocketed collector lurking in the wings, ready to pounce. They're out there, serious big game hunters, they just don't do a lot of bidding on eBay.

It's a neat piece, but is it necessarily that Tiki? Ha ha.

midnite...who should put the lid on that can o' worms!

does anyone know who this KOHLACHARMS is? DAMN , i've got a ton of stuff he'd be interested in .

K
Kono posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2005 4:02 PM

Q: Please do not be tempted by offers to sell off eBay. If someone should get close to tempting you, I would appreciate the opportunity to beat their offer. Thanks, Frank

A: Morning Frank, Like we stated on our discription, this auction is for 7 days and NO buy it now. Good Luck!

:lol: Now that's what I call covering all your bases.

"Please don't end the auction early. But if you do, do so with me."

Good ol' Frank.

Serious question: how many of you would think it fun or gratifying to win auctions by a) skullduggery or b) paying more than anyone has ever paid for such an item before?

To me, "a" is too much like ripping off someone who is gullible in a crooked deal ("Oh Mrs Jones, your late husband's old Corvette isn't worth much, but tell ya what, I'll give you five hundred bucks so you don't have to go to the trouble of listing it and dealing with all those pesky buyers..."), and as far as "b" goes, if I paid the highest price ever for a certain mug then I would feel like I lost the auction. Like I'm a rube. I mean, in the end it's just a dang mug. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the allure in getting something simply by spending more $$ than anyone else is willing to. OK, so I paid more money than the whole rest of the world thinks the item is worth. Yay, I won! :-?

M

*does anyone know who this KOHLACHARMS is? DAMN , i've got a ton of stuff he'd be interested in *

I am Koalacharms.

However, I am very secretive about my identity and personal info. Well, not like our illustrious host, HL. He's cloak 'n dagger. I'm more cash 'n carry, with a hint of gypsy in me. From the old country, whatever they call it nowadays.

The Koala man? Never met him, if he really exists. I don't think it's one guy, per se. I've only dealt with his underlings, his patsies, the guys in dark suits and sunglasses. No senses of humor in that lot. Nope.

If you've got stuff he wants, he already knows about it. Trust me. You'll be contacted, you might not even know it at first, but it's him. Treat him right, give him the best stuff... you get perks.

Now, on this Ren Clark mug thing. Does eBay work like the Miss America Pageant? Cause like I am 11th runner-up(under bidder) and if the other 10 bidders are "unable" to fulfill their duties, it's mine, right? I mean, things could happen. Ya know, to the others, accidents and such. Just saying, in case.

midnite

P

Wow, this thing is at $742 with about 5 minutes left to go. It's going to go for at least twice what the last one of these that turned up on ebay went for, and I though that was too much!

P

$1325!!!

Is this the highest price ever paid for a tiki mug? If this keeps up wall street is going to forming tiki mug mutual funds.

Wow. it doubled in the last 20 seconds. Who is this mysterious bidder?

-Z

It's all over! They had to stop it in the 12th round with a major upset! Kohalacharms went down hard! Bloodied, but faculties still intact!

Love the analogy blacksandz, but kohala probably has 3 already and just wanted a full set. Thats some major scratch for a mug.

You have got to be kidding me? $1300+ for that?? You can get a (used) car for that price! Shoot, I can pay my morgage for almost two months with that dough!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2005 7:22 PM

WHoa! I think I might just look at the pic in the BoT for a while. I dont think I will ever justify that kinda cash on a mug. The sellers gotta be stoked though :)

S

Well, kohalacharms does not own one. Amazing. New high rollers on Ebay every day. The prices just go up and up and up...

Yeah, I checked out the second highest bidder guy--looks like a doubleheader collector: tiki AND gruesome/monster stuff, especially mugs. Interesting.

We may expect to see him high-rolling again, I guess.

I'm wondering about something. So, TikiFarm did a "Suffering Bastard" mug; hey, Holden, howzabout a "Severed Head" tribute?? Heck, I'd buy one. I doubt I'm alone in this...I mean, I just love the mug for its own grotesque self, not because it's uber-desirable. Hence, a good copy would please me greatly!

Great idea Tikivixen... I bet Holden and the gang could do one helluva' Steve Crane tribute collection too!
Aloha,
:tiki:

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 7:42 AM

On 2005-09-26 20:01, tikivixen wrote:
So, TikiFarm did a "Suffering Bastard" mug; hey, Holden, howzabout a "Severed Head" tribute?? Heck, I'd buy one. I doubt I'm alone in this...I mean, I just love the mug for its own grotesque self, not because it's uber-desirable. Hence, a good copy would please me greatly!

I was just thinkin this myself! I skecthed up a concept, a severed tiki head, not a persons head. They could even make matching severed head on a spear swizzle sticks!

S

It would be an expensive mug to make. The paint would make it a high dollar item.

The fact that Kohalacharms missed this one is absolutely tragic! My condolences Frank... I'll shed a few tears for you at my earliest convenience!

Swanky wrote:

"It would be an expensive mug to make. The paint would make it a high dollar item."

Absolutely yes, to do it right. But compared to what an original fetches it would be reasonable! Those prices are probably also a good measure of how much interest there is out there. Moreover, I wouldn't mind it being a "special order" even if that meant it would take longer to receive it.

Anyway, just thoughts...

H

I am not sure, I never liked second bests....but that's just me.

J

As for Tiki Farm making a reproduction/tribute to the Ren Clark mug... bring it on baby!!! I'm never going to get a chance to own or quite possibly even see one of the real mugs with my own eyes so it's as close as I'd ever get... as long as they wouldn't do them as numbered editions. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Mai Kai Mystery bowl or the TV Kava Kava... higher priced but I'd be whipping my credit card out so quick I'd probably break my wrist! Whaddaya think Holden? Sugarcaddy?

YOU people amaze me, early on in my TC early days i thought about molding and reproing, in resin, a WITCO TIKI bar. you were all over me like a cheap suit. (except of course the ones who pm'd and e-mailed me to say they want one.)NOT to worry ,i droped the idea.but now you see a mug, a severd head mug, JUST A F...'N MUG go for over $1200.00, you people are all over the idea of repro'n it. shaking my head here in total ....... oh never mind. Just MY opinion ,i could be wrong TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2005-09-29 04:20 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2005-09-29 04:21 ]

M

Wow, that puppy went for a pretty 130,000 pennies or so. Tough one for me to lose, my koala dollars only go so far. Must be the exchange rate. Don't hate the Koala, hate the dingo... don't envy the Koala, fear the reaper.

Where is the the Tiki spirt, where's the esprit dee core? Where's the love? Alas, where's Bong when I need him? Further, where's my pants, 'cause the ones I am wearing, they're not familiar... nor roomy in the seat like I like 'em.

Say la Vee... I gots the love, midnite is always about the love. Always about the love, unless you're one of these mouthbreathers too frequently stealing my eBay intellectual property. Shenanigans!

midnite

Pages: 1 29 replies