Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Boston-based WAITIKI's 1st CD avail:

Pages: 1 21 replies

W

Aloha friends

Our debut CD, "Charred Mammal Flesh: Exotic Music for BBQ" is now for sale on our website - http://www.waitiki.com/charredmammalflesh.cfm - pick up a copy and tell a friend!

• If you have friends in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, tell them that WAITIKI will be in town performing October 7th and 8th at the Hukilau tiki festival!

mahalo,
WAITIKI

Exotic Tiki Entertainment of Polynesia and Beyond

http://waitiki.com

[ Edited by: waitiki 2005-09-25 18:18 ]

P

I'm going to be broke by the time I leave Ft. Lauderdale.

(Although, last year I had a more than 200 dollar bar tab the first night before Hukilau had even started.)

T

I got this CD in the mail today.

Good stuff!

Waitiki are going to have a solid presence at Hukilau this year; they'll be doing a set of their own music on Friday evening, and then the four members of Waitiki will be acting as 4 of the 12 members of the Robert Drasnin Orchestra that Mr. Drasnin and I have spent the past ten months assembling!

As a super-special treat, Waitiki will also be playing at the Mai Kai on Saturday night - after the second dinner show (about 11 PM) - doing a Martin Denny tribute.

As Bruce would say: ZAZZ!

RB

Got my CD a few days ago, popped it into the car CD player on the way to work early this morning (4 am), and almost turned around and went home to make myself a Mai Tai!

Good job, Waitiki! Some of the better modern exotica I've heard.

:drink:

Aloha Pablus, TikiBars, Rum Balls....

Thanks so much for all the compliments! Can't wait to meet you all at The Hukilau!

-Randy Wong a.k.a. Professah Humming Flower

C

flipped mine on the player in the congatiki room
last night...very enjoyable....happy vibes!

P
pablus posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 3:37 PM

BWAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
BWAAAAAAANAAAAAHHHHHHHHH-AAAAAAAAY!

Waitiki absolutely blew the roof off of the Mai Kai last night.

That Denny tribute was the perfect thing for the perfect place at the perfect time.

Wow.

Dave Levy almost adopted them as he handed them congratulatory Rum Barrels at the end of the performance... I'm still curious as to why The Mayor got 2... or was one for the monkey?

Astounding.

I'm officially a fan.

V

On 2005-10-09 15:37, pablus wrote:

I'm officially a fan.

Me too. It was really for me the surprise of Hukilau...those guys are sooo good, so happy to play, so funny. Mahalo plenty for the shows.

K

On 2005-10-09 15:37, pablus wrote:

Astounding.

I'm officially a fan.

ME THREE!!!! All of the Waitiki cats are great guys, and a not only fun to hear play, but to hang out and talk to. And their musicianship... yikes... totally world class. Seriously. They've really inspired to get off my butt and start woodsheddin'.

I've been listening to their debut CD, Charred Mammel Flesh tonight, and it's really excellent. BUY THIS CD! It's all great, but I gotta say, I think my favorite cut is "Sweet Pikake Seranade." Just beautiful.

Can't wait to see them again, and hopefully, get to really do some jamming (sans alcohol... well, not so much alcohol, anyway)!

P

I see after re-visiting the waitiki.com site that it was NOT The Mayor that received the second Rum Barrell but The Phonecian, Mr. Ho.

My humble apologies to whichever of you is the most sensitive about one moniker being mistaken for the other.

And to the monkey.

MH

Mistah Ho officially take responsibility for 2nd rum barrel. Mistah Ho thinked it was water and digested barrel mucho fast! buzzy buzzy! Free too, all because I played with my monkey on stage! Monkey see, monkey vibe! Monkeys playing FLower Humming!

Need more mai kai in mai laif!

Oxolotl!
Mr. Ho

[ Edited by: Mr. Ho 2005-10-11 16:31 ]

MH

Mahalo for super nice words! We plaim to ease! No need woodshed - need to bombooshed - very different!

Highly recommend the 151 shnizzle my nizzle drink from Mai Kai to ameliorate the effect of live exotica performance.

love a panda!

Mr. Ho

Ah-So Mr.Ho...
Many Mahalos for the music and chat time at the hotel. Never spank your Monkey and all Pandas will love you back !!!
Come out of your shell on stage silly turtle !!!!

Joe-San

HK

These guys are fantastic! Top notch playing and plenty of humor to boot! If only Brian could loosen up a bit...Ha!

Seriously - You are all great guys and it was a pleasure to meet you. I sure hope we get a chance to hang out again in the future.

If you haven't got a copy of the WAITIKI debut cd, GET ONE NOW! They are the real thing.

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

[ Edited by: Haole Kat 2005-10-12 07:54 ]

K

At Hukilau on Friday night Waitiki played a set, then performed over an hour with Robert Drasnin, then played yet another set! Their show is fantastic and wildly entertaining. You'll laugh at their antics and at the same time be amazed at what talented musicians they are. Made big fans out of me and my 62y/o father who was with me. I bought 2 CD's and got an autographed tambourine!

T

This started as a reply to your CD contest thread, but I will put it here because I won't participate in the contest.
I can't come up with four radio stations, but thought I'd point out that Radio Margaritaville on Sirius Satellite radio (radiomargaritaville.com) often plays exotica such as Denny, Lyman, and Don Tiki. Are they a realistic prospect for actually playing the material? I don't know, but they do surprise now and then. They are on a big Jake Shimekaburo kick of late. They don't only play "star" names; they play lots of niche "tropical" musicians. I'm not saying "niche" and "tropical" are necessarily labels you embrace, but you know, just sayin'...

Yeah, I know, "margaritaville" ... Hey, I didn't name it.

Mucho Mahalo,

I LOVE Sirius! I confess to leaving my reciever on the classic jazz station most of the time, but they play lots of newer artists there too. They actually have a policy of doing that, and I guess that extends to other formats too. Thanks for checking that out!

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 1, 2005 7:38 AM

This is a very entertainig CD...and it has some of the best corny jokes too...Very fun stuff

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2005-12-05 05:52 ]

I just got the Waitiki CD. I won it by being one of the lucky callers on KFAI's Jet Set Planet. Flew out to Minneapolis last week to pick it up. Sure it was a haul but well worth it for an excellent 1st CD. It made the flight back much more enjoyable. Buy it.. you won't be disappointed.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2005 8:34 AM

Holy watermelon batman!

You're telling us they made you FLY OUT there to pick up the cd? Well, i certainly hope they served watermelon on the flight at least.

Ho-san

IZ

Well we offered to mail it to him, but the Chief just couldn't wait that long -- he needed his dose of Waitiki ASAP!

And man, just sos you know, the guy looks like a gorilla, is about 7ft tall, and smashes Watermelons by just looking at them. The Dude is scary!

(I didn't ask for ID. He just broke into the station, busted up some chairs, said "me WIN CD," and that was that. I just handed it to him and he turned and left, strewing debris behind him as he went.)

I, Zombie
Jet Set Planet

On 2005-12-02 08:34, Mr. Ho wrote:
Well, i certainly hope they served watermelon on the flight at least.

Ho-san

You know, there was once a time not long ago when watermelon was served on some flights. Yes it is true that before the year zero (aka 9/11) many airlines carried fresh fruit! I remember flying on Midwest Airlines before the dark days of air travel when the flight attendant to my delight brought me a fresh pineapple filled with assorted fruit and yes, watermelon. I remember looking out the window while enjoying each delectable bite and thinking, life is good. Ah but those days are long gone. Now you’re lucky if you get a tiny bag of hard mini-pretzels and a grunt.

Pages: 1 21 replies