Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Pirate tiki mug - project update!

Pages: 1 21 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 8:16 AM

One of my goals for a while has been to design my own mug, and get a commercial outfit such as tiki farm to take the design and sell it.

Well, I was thinking about this the other day, and I realised my pirate tiki was a mug in the making. So I did up some design sketches.

The original art piece:

The mug design I came up with:

Im not sure about the back, but I thought I would throw it out there as something different.

What do you think? Would you buy one of these mugs? How does tiki farm work their deals with artists whose designs they use?

Any advice and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2005-10-06 08:36 ]

TB

Hey Hewey, you should keep the bandanna lid for the mug.

TBird.

On 2005-09-27 09:27, Tiki Bird wrote:
Hey Hewey, you should keep the bandanna lid for the mug.
TBird.

I second that, and maybe try for pierced ears? I know Tiki Farm has made mugs with piercings so it's do-able.

B

Not too shabby hewey, amd I'm with TikiBird, keep the bandana for the lid. It is very imaginative. Is that a Real pirates treasure map on the back???

M

Arrrg Hewey! War be the bandana lid? I think ya have something here. Nicely done.

Slaint'e

Hey Hewey-
Pretty cool. Is that a Sperm Whale on the treasure map on the bottom left side? If it is I say Keep the map on it it no matter what. Looks like you got yourself another winner Hewey!!!
Later,
Spermy

I better be one of the first people you sell one of those to! :wink: The bottom should be marked: Hewey #1. I like it!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 3:48 PM

sweet, I take a mug, this should be a creating tiki theme, mug design...

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 3:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback peoples!

Ill sketch up another with a bandana lid and big hoop earings. I simplified the design for mug producing capabilities.

The treasure is found when you raise the mug to your lips :)

Not only is that a sperm whale - its a guard whale. He protects the treasure from those who are not worthy of finding its expensive loot.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 4:31 PM

Well, heres a really quick sketch with a bandana and big ol hoop earings. Whaddya reckon?

J
john posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 4:45 PM

arrr, looks good. where be my parrot!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 5:36 PM

I managed to negotiate a deal with a parrot wrangler. I think it would look better sitting on the "TE" in pirate though. Like its sitting on the shoulder of the text. That supposed to be pirate hat and patch on the parrot too.

hewey: you've just entered 'Margharitaville' with the parrot design! :)

i like the mug!

Hewey, I'm glad you put the doo-rag back on. Now where's the peg leg? Just kidding, it looks great as is.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 1:11 AM

Man I got a killer idea for the mug. Currently in talks with Holden - we'll see what happens. Im gonna keep quite about the idea (yeh, Im a tease)

H
harro posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 6:24 AM

hewey, the range of stuff you churn out is amazing - and at such a fast rate it's a bit concerning! (are you sketching away at your pad 24/7???)
also, there are plenty of tiki-heads down syd way, i think once a month there is a dj (i think his name is dj mai tai) who spins cool tunes at a regular venue ... check out the new Outre gallery in surry hills i think (their main gallery is in melb) for cool books, art etc, and also the latest on stuff like where Dj mai tai is at etc etc..
cheers, keep up the cool art!

H

Thanks Harro. Yeh, the Outre Gallery is my next stop! I want to play around a little bit more, and see if i can 'break into' the gallery with my art. They sound like cool people.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2005 8:35 AM

Well, the farm isnt interested in producing the mug. Heaps busy, and not what theyre looking for. Im bummed, but I understand. Shit happens. One door closes, a window opens, you know the drill.

Im still keen to get this mug produced. Might even have a go myself, you never know.

Hey Hewey, take a ceramics class at your local arts center. Then produce your mug/s. Once you get the mold made, you could rent the kiln at some party ceramic store. They don't turn away extra income.

Hey man-don't be too bummed about the Tiki Farm deal. DIY is the way to go! Keep control of your stuff all the way.

Hey hewey, just keep creating stuff and posting it here. You have a good imagination. One design may not be the ticket, but the next one may be... you never know.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-10-08 11:35 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 8:09 AM

Thanks for the support people. I got a few ideas, not sure which way I want to go from here. You'll find out just after I do :)

Pages: 1 21 replies