Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Feature: Tiki Central RSS feeds beta

Pages: 1 17 replies

Hi all,

Due to popular demand I have implemented RSS feeds to Tiki Central forums!

If you don't know what it means, the simple answer is: It lets you put Tiki Central on your My Yahoo homepage (and on lots of other sites/places too).

The RSS feed link () is displayed at the top of each forum, next to the forum name on a View Forum page. There is a different feed for every public forum we have. This feature is still in beta! If you're using it and having problems, please let me know so I can fix it.

Hopefully this will make it easier for our users to keep up with Tiki Central. As always, please post your comments! I'd like to hear what you think.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-09-27 16:40 ]

M

How do we put it on our MY Yahoo homepage?

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 4:27 PM

I saw that little ornage thing and wondered what the hell it was. Cool

The manual way to Add it to your my Yahoo page is to:

• Click "add content" ... I think it's near the top on most My Yahoo homepages.
  • Click "Add RSS by URL" -- it's to the right of the FIND button
  • Paste the Tiki Central RSS url you want into the URL link and click Add.
  • Pray that Yahoo accepts it.

Seriously, Yahoo's RSS reader is kinda flakey, so it sometimes (oftentimes) doesn't work. There's a way I can automate this process for My Yahoo and I had it on the site earlier, but I removed it since Yahoo was acting up.

M

Hanford,

It worked the first time. THIS IS WAY TOO COOL. Awesome job.

S

I put HumuHumu's feeds along with Retro Radar's on http://www.swankpad.org just recently. TC is maybe too much. Maybe the TC hot list?

I'm working on implementing TC's Cool and Current links. Hopefully soon ...

D

This is a cool feature but what am I doing wrong..this is what I'm getting...

We couldn't find the RSS file you asked for http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforumrss.php?forum=1

H

That's what Hanford was referring to when he said Yahoo is flaky. I add RSS feeds from all sorts of different sites to My Yahoo often, and I get that error about 1/2 the time -- seems to be a problem on Yahoo's end. Try again in an hour, or a day, and it'll probably work.

D

Okee Dokee :D Mahalo!

J

Thanks Hanford! I have a few feeds pumped into my TiVo and it looks like I'll have one more to add:)

T

OK, I'm going to geek ou a bit here.

This RSS feed came at the perfect time for me. Hanford, are you clairvoyant?

You see, I'm into technology, but I'm a late adopter. Heck, I still hate cell phones, even though I recently got one for traveling.

After wanting one for a while, just last week I finally got a PDA. But I did a lot of research and knew just what I wanted. I got the Dell Axim x50v. This thing is pretty nice. It syncs with my Exchange server at work to get my email, contacts, and calendar. It has a VGA screen so I can play movies on it in landscape orientation (you have to get a program to compress the movie). I love the way iPods are designed but they seem real limited compared to this. I can play mp3s and other music files, as well as online streaming audio when I'm connected. I can hook up a gps and track my position and map my routes.

And just yesterday I downloaded an RSS reader program for it called feedereader. With it I can keep up with tiki central by viewing the RSS feed right on my PDA. Here's what it looks like:

This is just in time for my road trip. I can keep up with TC while on the road to Hukilau. Thanks Hanford!

[ Edited by: thejab 2005-09-27 21:11 ]

T

I do have a question. Am I supposed to see the contents of each topic? Because all I see are links to the topics, which when clicked bring up my web browser and the TC topic page. But in Humuhumu's blog RSS feed I get the content including pictures and text in my RSS reader.

TheJab:

At the moment it's only the topic name, and it links to TC. The reason I did that was I wasn't sure what information should go into the RSS feed itself.

Just the first post?

Just the last post?

? ?!?! ?

I can't put the whole thing, since some topics are many, many pages long. Since Tiki Central has new posts to it all the time, I wasn't sure what to put, so I started with nothing ... and that mirrors the TC View Forums page, which only shows the Topic name and nothing inside of it.

I'm open to suggestions though ...

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-09-27 21:57 ]

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 9:54 PM

what happend to the my yahoo link you had next to the rss feed link. I clicked that earlier today and it worked great. I have creating tiki on my yahoo as we speek great idea.thanx hanford

T

Hanford - Would it be possible to include the most recent post? Since the RSS feed displays the topics with the most recent activity with the most recnt at the top, would it make sense to include the most recent post? That way it would be similar to the "view new posts in all forums since last visit" feature on the TC web site.

I'll see what I can do. It's not trivial becuase this system was designed to only show the content of one topic at a time. ...

S

I thought you'd make every post go out in the feed. Each new submit would give a topic title, text, date link, etc. That's a lot of stuff though. That's why I thought just setting the cool and current to that sort of thing would be good. An edited version. Yet, in some ways, HumuHumu's blog is already an edit of TC...

Maybe a limited forum like Events would make for a better RSS with each post going out complete. All TC would be a huge amount of stuff.

Pages: 1 17 replies