Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Operation Bahemeth Waterfall is complete 11/07

Pages: 1 27 replies

M

Ok here's what I got so far. I'm about 4 hours of labor away from applying the water sealant/stain. The base coat on diamond wire is portland. Two layers of stucco/sand mix over the Portland. I can stand on it now. 8 ft wide by 7 ft tall. Two falls. Top one is 14" bottom weir is 17" wide. I will dig and finish the pond once stained. Pre- tubed for the 1" Polytube to be fed by an 1100 GPH Pump. The brown concrete stain was rejected after the application and will be overcome by Straight stucco color and then the sand color stain and accents (black & green). Worth saving $6,000.00 to do it yourself!

After test firing the pump using water from a wheelbarrow, The top falls passed with an A+ and the bottom fall getting a D- So I had to reshape the bottom weir to jeteson the water outward and in a uniform sheet. The sound was awesome even though the bottom weir was just running the water down the underbelly of the fall.

Capotiki, your wallpaper brush technique is the shizzle! It looks real and there is no evidence of trowel in the material at all. Thanks man.

One more test firing and hopefully, we can move on to color and the pond below. Whew!

Many Mahaloz

10/31 We have a full pass on both fall now! Time to move on

P.S. Thanks CapoTiki!!!

Mahalo

Waterfall done!!!

Some minor tinting and highlights are required, but, for the mostpart, I can move on to the pond beneath it!

My 11 yr old Wahine helped alot with the mud and painting of it. = Trooper in 90 degree + heat etc.

Mahalo

I am bumping the GPH to above 1200 GPH for mor uniform flow!

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2005-11-08 14:16 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 4:39 PM

Cant wait to see some pics of it bubbling away. Cool

TG

MC that thing is gonna look pretty rad when your done with it! Neat project. Going to add some zip to the ole backyard that's for sure!

if you want to make the whole piece flow together mix up portland,sand and get some concrete bonding liquid.Any place that sells concrete will have it,it looks like white glue.make a very wet mixture like a milk shake about 1/2 water and 1/2 bonding liquid in a 5 gallon bucket,now get a brush for applying wall paper glue,approx 10 inches wide,with very long loose bristles.Take the brush and coat it with the portland/sand/bonding liquid and water mixture and start lightly fling the wet mix on your project.what you will end up with is a very even coating that not only textures but water seals the entire project.It creates a very natural looking surface.I have used this method on many projects and it works very well.Make sure to protect everything around with plastic because it is a little messy but well worth the effort.capotiki

M

Thanks Gpah, maybe you & Tiki T can come hear it soon (that is if you ain't changin diapers or sumptin!) Capo. Your idea makes sense. One question....If you are using the brush like normal will the solution run on extreme angles? I have areas that are inverse and have been the most dificult to achieve smooth application. I agree that a slip formula is great for final texturing, but, you don't want it to run free if you know what I mean. Thanks again Capo.

Mahaloz

C

with the right moisture content it sticks like glue,like any other wet process water content is key,you can control the amount of material being applied ,it is all in the wrist action,very light fling delivers small amounts from the brush,stronger action delivers more,It will stick and not run as long as you are not applying too much.what you get is small splatters that will flow together.It is very simple prosess but it gives such a uniform surface that it is worth the extra effort.Some areas might need to set and get a second coat to get a very natural rock like look and feel.experiment on a scrap of wood to see the effect.capo

wow...what a project...looks like it will be a great
addition to your tiki surroundings....keep us posted!

M

Have to bump it.

TG

Come on already!!!!! GEEEEEZ!! What are you waiting for???? Stalling to see if Wilma is going to blow it down before you finish'er up! Get on with it BRO;)

Looking good there my man. Pump'er up and let her fly! It's going to look just like the one's at the Mai Kai! Yeah, I'm thinking when you get this one done, you can come up to Jax to start on mine.......

M

Yeah, 3 Wilmas wouldn't budge this beast. I was thinking about using it for a shelter. I checked it this morning and its going to be dry enough for a test tonight. Valhine is kinda miffed because of its size. (Never heard a female complain that something was too big). Geeez

Thanks for the motivation G !

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 5:11 AM

Waiting for the first run photos...

W

wowzers!
that is going to be totally cool!
( sorry was possesed by some vally girl there :/ )

but really thats amazing!

B

Starting to cometogether like you knew what you were doing or something. Lots of work, but worth every bit.

needs tikis but it is sweet and the sound would be soothing

M

Thanx PalmCity. Got 16 or so tikis staring at the construction site everyday. You just can't see them from the angle of the pics.

Bottom weir failed again this AM. I am going to try a bead of silicon across the edge to see if the water will spill over it vs run down the face.

More experimentation.

Capotiki, any suggestions?

Try checking out Nu-Turf in Pompano. They have a lot of fountains and maybe you can get inspiration from some of theirs.

C

It is looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That lip needs to be as thin as you can make it,maybe as thick as a piece of tile (hint), water wants to flow on the surface no go airborne.More water volume also would help but get that lip thin and protruding as much as possible.capo

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-22 18:43 ]

McTiki, that will be one awesome piece of work when finished. At least with mortar you can keep modifying it till it works. Good luck, keep us posted. Sounds like you're getting lots of great advice!

Aaron

M

Bumped (see page one)

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 2:17 PM

Bumped!

TG

Let me bump this up for my buddy McTiki. Good to have him and his wife up to visit this past weeekend! Pics coming soon.

Waterfall looks kick butt!! Good job there Bro'. Can't wait to see it in full action when we come down for that visit we were talking about.....

G.

C

Great job,nothing like the sound of a waterfall to sooth the savage beast .Have a cool one for me.

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-11-16 17:08 ]

M

Thanks Capo! Youre a huge help!

TG

Update??????????????????? Let's see the newly dug pond! We know you've been busy MC.........

C

Mctiki just looking to see if your pond is ready.I am looking forward to seeing the completed project!I will keep checking your posts.capotiki

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Dec 7, 2005 4:27 AM

Hey guys,

Not ignoring this site, but, the pond is complete now as of lastnight. Essentially, I had a case of dumb@ss and didn't seal it once the texture coat cured. I used the same method Capo taught me to get irregular looking rock look. It turned out fantastic!

Soooo I filled it half full and turned the new 1200 GPH pump on. Nice! Then 3 hours later, We come home and the pond has already lost 2 inches of water. WTF? I could see the saturation going up the unsealed walls and obviously it was taking place from all surfaces as well. After emptying and drying, I put 2 gallons of UGL sealer (tinted grey)on the beast lastnight. This morning, it looks great. I will go back over it (weather permitting) tonight for any blowholes that may not have coverage. Pics this weekend! Dimensions are: 15 ft X 3 1/2 ft wide X 3 ft deep.

TG

HOT DAMN!!!!! HE'S COOKING WITH CRISCO NOW!

Sounds awesome braddah! Can't wait to see the final pics. Hope things are well.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 7, 2005 5:37 AM

Cant wait to see the finished and running pics. Cool

Pages: 1 27 replies