Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to be Re-Created!

Pages: 1 30 replies

Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to Be Re-Created

By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 27, 8:43 AM ET

OSLO, Norway - An effort to recreate the late Thor Heyerdahl's famed 101-day Pacific crossing aboard the Kon-Tiki balsa raft resumed Tuesday after a postponement forced by last year's southern Asia tsunami.

The team, which includes the Norwegian adventurer's grandson, Olav Heyerdahl, plans to sail from Peru in late April, a year later than originally scheduled.

"It is very good. It is fun. And now the financing is in place," the 28-year-old Heyerdahl said of the $900,000 project.

After the Dec. 26, 2004, tsunami that killed thousands in southern Asia, the team postponed the project for a year because key sponsors had diverted funds to help victims.

In 1947, Thor Heyerdahl's team sailed a raft 4,900 miles from Peru to Polynesia to show that prehistoric explorers could have migrated across vast oceans. Heyerdahl, who died in 2002 at age 87, documented the harrowing voyage in a best-selling book and Oscar-winning documentary, both called "Kon-Tiki."

Outside the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo, some of the team arrived aboard a half-scale model they built of the original raft, sailing part of the way. Young school children lined the wharf.

The team has introduced a program of building model rafts in schools as part of the educational dimension of their project.

"We wanted to make raft building a school subject and we did it," said team leader Torgeir Saeverud Higraff, a 32-year-old teacher and journalist.

On shore, the adventure's grandson said he had discussed it with the family before deciding to be the second Heyerdahl to set off a balsa raft, this time to be named for Tangaroa, the Polynesian god of the ocean.

"As long as it was a serious project, they were in favor," the younger Heyerdahl told The Associated Press. "If they had been negative, I would have said 'no.'"

Heyerdahl, a building engineer, carpenter and diver, will head to Ecuador in January to select balsa logs, and lead the construction of the raft in Peru.

The project is endorsed by the Kon-Tiki Museum, and is backed by the Norwegian Environment Ministry, private businesses and Heyerdahl's home town of Larvik, in southern Norway.

In addition to honoring Heyerdahl, the team wants their own 101-day voyage to draw attention to environmental threats, do scientific research, test ancient navigational techniques and be an educational tool.

Although the Tangaroa will be primitive as the Kon-Tiki, it will also be loaded with modern technology, including solar panels for electricity, and satellite communications that will allow the team to transmit Internet updates.

The six-member team will include four Norwegians, a Swede and a Peruvian, who has yet to be selected.

J

Think this could be an IMAX movie? Seems like a prime candidate!

P

I wonder if they need a bartender/musical type guy?

Me first. Just by accident, my wife's best friend's husband was Olav Heyerdahl's room-mate in college. Maybe he can put in a good word for me. I can pass for a pale Peruvian.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 28, 2005 4:45 PM

Cool! But where they gonna get the balsa? They had enough trouble last time didnt they? Looking forward to hearing more about it.

I want to be there for the Christening! Is it more proper to smash a bottle of Meyers on the bow rather than champagne?

DAMN, he beat me to it. I wanted to do this. But I would only do it in a bubble.

This is soo cool. Can't wait to hear more.

Some pictures from yesterdays event in the Oslo harbor taken from the official web site. The model is being sailed from the dock outside the Town Hall and to the Museum where it is going to be on display.

T

Adrift Clothing is an unofficial sponser of "Tangaora" Marcus has been in contact with the voyage's leader. They did eventually find the balsa logs, but it did take them much longer than they had thought. The Adrift team is going to head down there for the launching, then head to Easter Island from Chile.
http://www.adriftclothing.com
http://www.adriftclothing.com/adrift2/ new catalog

On 2005-09-29 15:00, tikitony wrote:

The Adrift team is going to head down there for the launching, then head to Easter Island from Chile.

Excellent!

As a launching will occur, it promises to be even more authentic than Thor's original.

FA

On 2005-09-28 12:33, pablus wrote:

I wonder if they need a bartender/musical type guy?

I think a petition should be started to have Pablus placed with them as the official spokesperson for all tiki fans.

On 2005-09-28 02:45, pappythesailor wrote:
Kon-Tiki Raft Voyage to Be Re-Created

By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 27, 8:43 AM ET

OSLO, Norway - An effort to recreate the late Thor Heyerdahl's famed 101-day Pacific crossing aboard the Kon-Tiki balsa raft resumed Tuesday after a postponement forced by last year's southern Asia tsunami.
. . .

In addition to honoring Heyerdahl, the team wants their own 101-day voyage to draw attention to environmental threats, do scientific research, test ancient navigational techniques and be an educational tool.

Although the Tangaroa will be primitive as the Kon-Tiki, it will also be loaded with modern technology, including solar panels for electricity, and satellite communications that will allow the team to transmit Internet updates.

Although I know that the Team will attempt to keep it real, it would seem that they would be able to substantially reduce the 101 day travel time.

After all, they know where they are going and have maps, GPS, etc to get there.

I dunno--Thor and company had maps and a good astral navigator. On a raft, you're almost 100% at the mercy of the wind and currents. Unless the new raft has a motor, I think this is the same voyage with the same dangers.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 11, 2005 7:28 AM

Still a big bit of water and a little raft, motor or no. Your fancy plastic boats loaded with technology sink in the oceans, a balsa raft strapped together aint endearing me much confidence. As much as I think its cool, I dont think you could pay me to do it. Im a land lubber me thinks.

I'm with you Hewey...I get sea sick on the Flume Ride at 6 Flags.

I think its pretty cool that they're recreating the voyage, but electricity?? Internet Blog updates??? GPS???

I guess I shouldn't be one to throw stones, seeing as how I wouldnt get on it if it were the size of an aircraft carrier and sealed in a climate controled bubble...but still...

update!

LIMA, Peru - Nearly 60 years after Thor Heyerdahl's Pacific Ocean crossing aboard the balsa raft Kon-Tiki, a Norwegian team is in Peru putting final touches on a new vessel to repeat the journey.

"I think we are mentally prepared and we are really, really anxious to put this raft in the ocean," said Olav Heyerdahl, 28, the adventurer's grandson and one of the six-member crew.

Behind him in a dry-dock in Lima's port of Callao loomed the balsa raft Tangaroa — named for the Polynesian god of the ocean — which is scheduled to set sail April 28.

The expedition had been set for last year, but was postponed after key sponsors diverted funds to help victims of the 2004 Southeast Asian tsunami.

In 1947, Thor Heyerdahl and his team sailed their primitive raft 5,000 miles from Peru to Polynesia in 101 days to support Heyerdahl's theory that the South Sea Islands were settled by ancient mariners from South America. Heyerdahl, who died in 2002 at age 87, documented his voyage in the best-selling book "Kon-Tiki" and in an Oscar-winning documentary film.

The adverturer's 67-year-old son, Thor Heyerdahl Jr., came to Peru to see the new vessel and cheer on his own son. "I'm very happy for him that he gets this opportunity," he said.

The new 56-foot vessel is larger than the Kon-Tiki, with eight crossbeams lashed to 11 balsa logs from Ecuador and covered by a bamboo deck. Atop a hardwood cabin, the crew fitted a thatched-reed roof made by Aymara Indians.

The Kon-Tiki carried only the most basic equipment, even by 1947 standards. But the Tangaroa features abundant modern technology, including solar panels to generate electricity and satellite navigation and communications gear.

"We have seen this project grow from just an idea, a dream, and then suddenly you are 10 days away from being on the raft on the sea," said Swedish filmmaker Anders Berg, who will document the journey. "It's like pregnancy, I would say."

The Kon-Tiki was equipped with a primitive sail and could not navigate against the wind. Its journey ended when it foundered on a reef near Tahiti.

A large, square sail of woven Peruvian cotton will be mounted on the Tangaroa this week.

Team leader Torgeir Saeverud Higraff said such sails were common in prehistoric Peru, and much better than Thor Heyerdahl could have imagined in 1947.

Spanish chroniclers wrote centuries ago of Inca lords who sailed the Pacific on large, navigable balsa vessels nearly 70 years before the conquistadors came to Peru in 1532, he said.

The expedition is a $800,000 venture backed by the Norwegian Environment Ministry, private businesses and Heyerdahl's hometown of Larvik, Norway.

..and away they go.......Kon-tiki set sail once again this past friday....article in today's chicago tibune.

This is an interesting and cool adventure, but I'm curious about something...

Why are they going backwards? What I mean is, wasn't Heyerdahl's hypothesis that the peopling of the Americas originated in Polynesia (roughly)? So wouldn't it be more accurate and scientifically valuable for these guys to sail TO Peru rather than FROM Peru?

Just thinking out loud what has puzzled me (and most of the other anthropologists I know) for many years...

Cheers,

amio

On 2006-04-30 10:55, amiotiki wrote:
This is an interesting and cool adventure, but I'm curious about something...

Why are they going backwards? What I mean is, wasn't Heyerdahl's hypothesis that the peopling of the Americas originated in Polynesia (roughly)? So wouldn't it be more accurate and scientifically valuable for these guys to sail TO Peru rather than FROM Peru?

Just thinking out loud what has puzzled me (and most of the other anthropologists I know) for many years...

Cheers,

amio

No, Heyerdahl's proposition was that Polynesia could be populated from South America.

....no....the point was to prove that the islands were populated by travelers from the mainland of south america. they didn't appear on the islands and then sail away to populate the americas. they had to come from somewhere other than the islands first, and thor's mission proved it was entirely possible, if not what actually happened....be confused no longer my friend!!

looks like we tied in our replies freddie!!

hmmm, Out of Africa, up thru Europe, across China and Russia, tiptoe across the Bering Strait, down thru the Americas and across to Polynesia.....OR, Out of Africa, camel ride thru Egypt and the Middle East, across Iran, India, Burma, Thailand to Vietnam and paddle across to Philippines/Malaysia, Indonesia, New Guinea and on to Polynesia. hmmm. I'm out of breath and my feet hurt.

A

AAHHH! I see now what the program is...I had it backwards! :oops:

I just love paleoanthropology - there are so many possibilities for the peopling of various regions of the world, and still so little evidence to really firmly support any one of them as the most likely scenario. My hope is that new technologies and more archaeology will show that there were likely several migrations that utilized both the Bering land bridge AND trans-Pacific sailing (in both directions).

I do believe that people have been seafarers much longer than many 'experts' are willing to acknowledge. Of course, their seafaring adventures may not have always been intentional...

"oops, where on earth are we now?"

Good thread - and I look forward to hearing more about this round of Kon-Tiki!

Since the launch of April 28, I haven't heard much about the Tangaroa's voyage. I found a cool site which shows pictures and daily logs by the crew. Check it out!

http://tangaroa.nettblogg.no/index.html

Start with their current posting, and you can click back on the calendar to see previous postings and pictures.

• Myke
8T

THANKS for the link. I too was wanting to keep tabs on the progress. I read the whole log. Sounds as if they are doing GREAT! Bon voyage Tangaroa!

The Tangaroa reaches the island of Raroia! http://tangaroa.nettblogg.no/english.html

• Myke
B

Re: Re-voyage of Kon-Tiki!
The Kon-tiki paper back has 70 pix in it! And I remember Dwight Long (my sailing mentor,) who had a Lecture series for years called "Arm Chair Adventures", introducng me to Thor Hyerdahl! His lecture was really hard to see because they had so much trouble! And so many storms, and the craft was so unseaworthy! I've sailed probably 40,000 miles of blue water cruising.. and I was probably 17 when I saw his lecture.. and it still impresses me it was so rigorous!
A few years ago, I came across another adventure that Hyerdahl had in the Marquesas, where he and his new bride had lived for 2 years. It was PRIMITIVE!!! I couldn't evne imagine doing that.. so all-in-all.. he was certainly an adventurer! I look forward to the grandson's lecture.. and will take "patches" along!!! (only kidding!)
Maybe somebody can get them to put the original voyage on DVD!

r in videos

Whoops! Lost track of this one. If you missed it, you'll be happy to know the crew of the Tangaroa made it. Hooray! Toast their success with some kind of rum drink.

http://www.pacificislands.cc/pina/pinadefault2.php?urlpinaid=23764

On 2006-07-12 12:21, bungy wrote:
Re: Re-voyage of Kon-Tiki!
The Kon-tiki paper back has 70 pix in it! And I remember Dwight Long (my sailing mentor,) who had a Lecture series for years called "Arm Chair Adventures", introducng me to Thor Hyerdahl! His lecture was really hard to see because they had so much trouble! And so many storms, and the craft was so unseaworthy! I've sailed probably 40,000 miles of blue water cruising.. and I was probably 17 when I saw his lecture.. and it still impresses me it was so rigorous!
A few years ago, I came across another adventure that Hyerdahl had in the Marquesas, where he and his new bride had lived for 2 years. It was PRIMITIVE!!! I couldn't evne imagine doing that.. so all-in-all.. he was certainly an adventurer! I look forward to the grandson's lecture.. and will take "patches" along!!! (only kidding!)
Maybe somebody can get them to put the original voyage on DVD!

A similar voyage was done on a raft made of garbage by Poppa Neutrino and his crew (they have the record for being the first scrap raft to cross the Atlantic): http://www.floatingneutrinos.com The Norwegians had a budget of $900,000.00 for their expedition. Shortly, Poppa Neutrino and I will be building a small raft for each of us, measuring 4 feet wide x 32 feet long, each. We'll be sailing those to China and then circumnavigating the globe - and we do it with recycled materials mostly and very little electronics. A handheld GPS and Radio - we're not trying to prove anything at all - we're just wanting to do it. Most of our navigation will be by sextant and stars/sun,etc. We prefer that. Meanwhile, keep an eye on the Floating Neutrinos site. We'll start putting up pictures of the build in December, and then along the way.

r in videos

Pages: 1 30 replies