Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix TV Party! September 30th, 2005

Pages: 1 11 replies

Friday September 30th, 2005 10PM No Cover

The Tiki Taix TV Party is here to close out the summer! This month you’ll get another unique blend of live music and rare films!

The Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long Film Block and signing with authors Dominic Priore and Brian Chidester will keep you on the edge of your seat! Featuring “Sea & Jungle Shop” (1986) by Dominic Priore made the day the shop closed...thank God we still have Oceanic Arts! “Eden Ahbez: From The Secret Map of Hollywood” (BBC 2005) “Waikiki Surfing Footage” (1906) by Robert K. Bonine/Thomas Edison “Waikiki Beachboys” (2005) by Brian Chidester “The Challengers with Jan & Dean Interview” (1963) and “King of the Stomp- Dick Dale Live at Harmony Park Ballroom in Anaheim” (1963) All films shown are covered in “Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long” available at the show for signing. Also available at 8 Ball, Wacko, 33 1/3 Books, Book Soup, Rhino, Tower and all over the world.

AND

Crazy Al will be in to give us an update on his preparations for the Honolulu Marathon! He and Lizzie will be running the marathon to help raise funds for the American Stroke Association and Tiki Taix is not only going to sponsor Crazy Al but we are also going to send a live satellite feed with him as he journeys back to Sunset Beach on foot! We’ll be checking back with him throughout the night to see his progress. If he can make it back from Tiki Taix in Echo Park to Sunset Beach before 1am than there will be no doubt that he is ready for Honolulu.

ALSO

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis present our Hukilau primer set. In preparations for the upcoming Hukilau festivities in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, we will start off with a few accompanied by Crazy Al. A few Hapa Haole tunes, a few crune tunes, a bit of humor and a family tree to help explain how I became my own grandpa! If the audience is up for a little participation we should a heck of a wing ding.

PLUS

The Barcelona Tiki Bar Challenge Part 2 -- Try to choose which Tiki Bar reigns supreme in Barcelona by taking a video tour of all three bars. This month we’ll feature the mysterious Kahiki Bar. Walking distance from the other two Tiki bars, the Kahiki is closer to the University and nearer the downtown area. This short video peek inside will give you just a taste of what Barcelona has to offer.

AND

Trader Vic Chapter 5-- Vic himself once told the wildly dramatic tale of his heroic search for a real buffalo to cook for a visiting dignitary from a far away land. We don’t know if Trader Vic was aware of the fact, but his story has been recorded in its entirety. At Tiki Taix we will present Chapter 5 of this epic saga and give the audience a little insight into the storytelling talents of the one and only Trader Vic.

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

I might try to make this one. Anyone else thinking of going? Maybe we can meet up at Tiki-Ti prior to the show???

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Sep 28, 2005 9:30 AM

Damn!!!
I'm out of town. No H.M.W.H.. Next time for sure.
Mahalo,
Al

B

Come one, come all. We're retiring this film block after the show. We'll have a new series of films that make the circuit next month, featuring some of Domenic's and my own film work, plus archival shorts and clips that we've researched. Next month, rare footage from Pacific Ocean Park, and maybe even something from the 1965 Summer Spectacular.

WooHoooo! Soccer Tiki and I are looking forward to another "Tiki"rrific Night at TAIX!!!

Well Poly-Pop it'll be good to have you on board with us. It looks like its going to be a great night. Your favorite sax/flute player will likely be sitting in on Quiet Village and a few other great ones.
King

On 2005-09-29 17:59, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Your favorite sax/flute player will likely be sitting in on Quiet Village and a few other great ones.
King

Awesome! Can't wait to see the 'ol chap -- its been too long. See y'all there...

CA

I'm stretching up a storm here before tonight's run! I'm doing ten miles tomorrow at 7:00am... but that will be nothing compared to tonight's challenge!!

so bring a check book and sweat it out a little with me!!
Ol' Tiki#100 got some training to do.....he sure gets around

I'm on my way........Tiki Ti first?

WOoHoo! Tiki Ti First :)

I'll be there in spirit, friends.

It was the Bomb! No really......the police had the streets around the Taix blocked off due to a mysterious bag. The Kings laundry?

The videos were very cool.....especially the Hawaiian Beach Boys Documentry. Crazy Al is smokin fast. Ran all the way to the Queen Mary before the night was over. The King and the Freaky Tikis were as hot as ever......look out Hukilau.

Pages: 1 11 replies