Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Who owns the rights to Don the Beachcomber??

Pages: 1 14 replies

S

Just wondering if anyone knows who owns the rights/trademark to Don the Beachcomber? It appears there are no operating units left but should be able to be revitalized, possibly in the way Trader Vic's did with International locations. We could use a DtB here in Japan!

Check This post.

M

You can find your answer at the US Patent and Trademark office. Here you go:

Word Mark DON THE BEACHCOMBER
Goods and Services IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES NAMELY RUM
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 76600374
Filing Date June 30, 2004
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) MARISOL, LLC LTD LIAB CO NEVADA 3950 KOVAL LANE, # 2003 LAS VEGAS NEVADA 89109
Attorney of Record JOHN JOSEPH HALL
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Goods and Services IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: RESTAURANT AND BAR SERVICES. FIRST USE: 20041022. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20041022
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76536351
Filing Date July 31, 2003
Current Filing Basis 1A

Goods and Services IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: non-alcoholic cocktail mixes having extracts of natural and artificial beverage flavorings
Serial Number 76600373
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) MARISOL, LLC LTD LIAB CO NEVADA 3950 KOVAL LANE, # 2003 LAS VEGAS NEVADA 89109
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition February 10, 2004
Registration Number 2938695
Registration Date April 5, 2005
Owner (REGISTRANT) MARISOL, LLC LLC NEVADA 3950 KOVAL LANE, # 2003 LAS VEGAS NEVADA 89109
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

M

Oh, but I missed one point, this only applied to US trademark. Someone could probably get away with starting their own chain in Japan if it were not a US based company. That would be awesome!!

We are the current holders of the Don the Beachcomber name, we'll be opening a Don the Beachcomber in Las Vegas 2006. Questions or comments feel free to contact me. If you would like to see the logo recreated you can find it here
http://absolutelyvegas.com/html/don_the_beachcomber.html

On 2005-12-19 12:34, vegasguy wrote:
We are the current holders of the Don the Beachcomber name, we'll be opening a Don the Beachcomber in Las Vegas 2006. Questions or comments feel free to contact me. If you would like to see the logo recreated you can find it here
http://absolutelyvegas.com/html/don_the_beachcomber.html

a Vics and a Beachcomber coming to Vegas. Sounds great! I can't wait until we can actually answer that there IS tiki in Vegas!! Substantial Tiki.

V

do you know when TV's is opening in Las Vegas?

Have not been involved with this for many years but before 2003 the name was not protected. There was a dispute or legal battle between Mrs Beech the third wife of Don and some guy in Northern California named Pete something. He did an album titled Sneaky Pete's. He claimed to have the rights in California and she claimed Hawaii. I am not sure who has Las Vegas but since it looks like a different logo it maybe a third party. We tried to get the name and license it for new restaurants but it became such a mess we let it go. We did not know from one day to the next who had what and both sides promised to sue if we did anything. No need to start a new business with law suits already attached. At one point Hilton had the rights.

M

On 2005-12-19 13:39, vegasguy wrote:
do you know when TV's is opening in Las Vegas?

All I heard is 2006 sometime.

V

We are currently in legal talks with the Royal Kona Resort; they are planning to open a Don the Beachcomber restaurant in their new revamp. From what I have heard they are only requesting the rights for Maui and The Big Island, and we will own rights for all other islands and Main Land States. We may also be franchising rights to a very select few.

S

On 2005-09-29 13:06, Mystiki wrote:
Oh, but I missed one point, this only applied to US trademark. Someone could probably get away with starting their own chain in Japan if it were not a US based company. That would be awesome!!

I've contacted VegasGuy to gain more information on who actually owns the rights. If no one owns the name in Asia...then it could get interesting! What a great feeling it would be to resurrect a great institution like DtB....

V

On 2005-09-29 13:03, Mystiki wrote:
You can find your answer at the US Patent and Trademark office. Here you go:

Goods and Services IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES NAMELY RUM
Serial Number 76600374
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Goods and Services IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: RESTAURANT AND BAR SERVICES. FIRST USE: 20041022. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20041022
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76536351
Filing Date July 31, 2003
Current Filing Basis 1A

Goods and Services IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: non-alcoholic cocktail mixes having extracts of natural and artificial beverage flavorings
Serial Number 76600373
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition February 10, 2004
Registration Number 2938695
Registration Date April 5, 2005
Owner (REGISTRANT) MARISOL, LLC LLC NEVADA 3950 KOVAL LANE, # 2003 LAS VEGAS NEVADA 89109
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

A

um.... whatever happened to the Don the Beachcomber that was supposedly opening last year in Vegas?

[ Edited by: arriano 2007-02-08 09:26 ]

I just noticed a post on the TikiBarTV forums by Art Snyder saying that Don the Beachcomber will open around March 10 in Las Vegas and share the location of Champages Cafe on Maryland Parkway by the Boulevard Mall???

http://party.tikibartv.com/forum/topics/dive-bars?x=1&id=649410%3ATopic%3A37458&page=2#comments

No idea if that's true.... definitely interesting.

Good lands.... do people bother to catch up or read the whole thread? don't answer me ok... :D

Pages: 1 14 replies