Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau brings "Tiki Road Trip" to life on the Hukilau Home Bar Tour!!

Pages: 1 5 replies

This is a new addition to the Home Bar Tour that is taking place on Sunday, October 9, 2005. After a recent discovery here in Ft. Lauderdale I couldn't resist adding this to the Home Bar Tour. Thanks to Talani from Polynesian Proud for the tip! The details to the Home Bar Tour are below - we still have tickets left but seats are limited. If interested see this thread or shoot us an email at [email protected]!

Sit back and enjoy while James Teitelbaum takes you on an unforgettable “Tiki Road Trip” as we unmask timeless treasures from a bygone era. Just added to the Hukilau Home Bar Tour, James guides you through 2 classic Tiki destinations that have survived the test of time. We will take you on location prior to the Home Bar Tour to have the unique chance to experience urban archeology with other enthusiasts. You will be able to explore and document your trip with photos and hear James take you through the history of each location. A true treat for everyone! Here's a sneak peek!

Plus, each guest on the Home Bar Tour receives an exclusive gift designed by Tiki Kiliki. Here's a hint: you can drink out of it!

What to expect on the Hukilau Home Bar Tour:

*A seat on the S.S. Hukilau – leaving the Bahia Mar at 2:00pm, onboard you’ll begin the journey with King Kukulele, James Teitelbaum and Tiki Kiliki!

*A Tour of 2 classic Tiki locations – James Teitelbaum’s Tiki Road Trip comes to life!

Home Bar Tour Begins

*1st stop is Kern Mattei’s ÒPiha MaohiÓ (Tahitian for “The Polynesian Room”) Featured potion: Rum Barrel - Representing the second generation of the Mai-Kai family, Kern and Elke have an amazing collection of both old and new Tiki and Polynesian artifacts on display. View their personal collection of tiki mugs mixed with pieces of Mai-Kai history, some of which few outside the Mai-Kai ohana have ever seen. All of which is guarded over by a collection of carvings and artifacts from all of Oceania, including impressive examples from New Guinea, Tahiti and New Zealand. With a closer look at some of the photos and vintage postcards, you can see Kern’s mother who was one of the early Mai-Kai dancers, and his children who were featured in the Mai-Kai kid’s show.

*2nd stop is Pia & Drews Tjing-a-Ling Bar – awaiting you is a full Luau Feast while you sway to the sounds of the Haole Kats! Featured potion: Tiki Typhoon – an original recipe. Enjoy the lush tropical surroundings of the Tjing-e-Ling Bar in this fabulous South Florida Home. Originally built in 1956, this Victoria Park home blends Mid Century interior design with lush tropical gardens to make an exquisite backdrop for a luau. Stroll through the gardens and sit by the waterfall while you enjoy a spectacular Florida sunset.

*3rd stop is The Hukilau’s own Tiki Kiliki and The Sunken Pearl - Featured potion: The Sunken Pearl – an original recipe. It has been transferred from Atlanta and faithfully reassembled at her new home in Hollywood, Florida. View an amazing diverse collection of Tiki mugs proudly displayed on a set of Bamboo Ben custom made shelves, with a few more mugs peeking out from elsewhere in her home. In addition to an extensive collection of matchbooks, postcards and menus, The Sunken Pearl features Tiki from carvers both near and far, including Will Anders, Ben Davis, Kreepy Tiki, and Witco. Also on display are some rare items from the Mai Kai, Trader Vic’s and a collection of Mid-Century goodies from years collecting. As a visual surprise, and departure from the expected Tiki theme, peek into the BIG-TOP theme kitchen featuring an unusual presentation of vintage popcorn bags, carnival prizes and ephemera.

*4th stop is Chip and Andy’s Lanai – featured potion: Coconauts! Join Chip and Andy on a tour of their South Florida home. Built originally in 1956, you’ll find a unique blend of Mid-Century interiors with a tropical flair that is surrounded by lush vegetation creating their very own back yard Bali-Hai. The orchid gardens visible from the dining room are the first peek at the paradise that awaits you as you descend through the house to the Lanai. Taking full advantage of this subtropical climate and nearly year round growing season, they invite you to stroll through and imagine yourself on that mystical namesake island of Lanai. Featuring a variety of plants from coffee to bananas, gardenias to plumeria trees, it doesn’t take many Mai Tais to help the imagination. While Witco may be the first thing you notice, look closely as there are many more Tikis hiding just waiting to be discovered. And for those that are so inclined, you are invited to enjoy a swim in the lagoon – it should be summer warm and if you listen closely you can hear it calling to step in and forget the hustle and bustle of the outside world.

Boy, oh boy, I know that after a full afternoon of playing tour guide, that a full sumptuous feast at Pia's is going to be deeee-licoius. And good for ya' too!
My stomach is gurgling in anticipation already!

What about that souvenir - wow - you mean it's a free gift, just for Hukilau home bar tour attendees? Zazz!

And that bus - it's so PLUSH!
Ride in comfort - I know I will!

"A seat on the S.S. Hukilau – leaving the Bahia Mar at 2:00pm"

I read that and my heart skipped - has the original time been changed from 4pm at the Mai Kai to 2PM at the Bahia Mar?

If this is the case...I may be screwed. I have tickets, made arrangements to leave work at 3 and hightail it to the Mai Kai.

Is the tour sold out yet?

I hear there are still a few seats left. Anyone interested should hop on it right away.

T

Hey KungFu - we pushed the departure time up a bit to accomodate the newly added stops at the Tiki spots along the way to the people's houses.

Since you already bought a ticket, I think we can try to accomdate you - if you can rendezvous with us at the first stop, you can of course jump on the bus for the rest of the evening. PM me or Chrisite and we'll make sure there's a bus stop with your name on it.

And yes, there are a FEW tickets left for the Sunday bus tour - but if you haven't made a reservation for the Mai Kai yet (Saturday), you'd better do it NOW. There's about 2 seats left!

Pages: 1 5 replies