Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Picture of Ramones + Tiki?

Pages: 1 17 replies

Does anyone here know if a picture of the Ramones (or Joey Ramone) together with a Tiki statue or in a Tiki setting exists?

No, but there is a DVD of the Damned with a Tiki theme:

Supposedly Pinch, their new drummer, is a San Diego resident & a fan of Tiki, but I don't think he posts here or hangs out with any of the SD Ohana.

When attending one of the "Movies under..and above the stars" screenings on the Hollywood Cemetary grounds this summer, I was in awe of the Joey Ramone grave statue. As fine an example of modern idolatry as there ever was!

The Damned's "new" drummer Pinch IS a big fan of all things TIKI and has a killer "post-modern" TIKI bar that he built himself. He also has some amazing TIKI tattoos on his arms. He lives in San Diego with his stunningly beautiful Burlesque Dancing wife, Mimi Le Meaux. (www.mimilemeaux.com). I have some cool pics of their bar but I have to get their permission before I post them.

Yes, off course, Johnny, how could I!

Find-a-grave.com, what a classic. These .com names are beginning to rival the American product name creations favored by appliance and car manufacturers in the 50s and 60s...Tectum Pan-L-Art etc.

What makes you think that such an image (Ramone & Tiki) exists? The band hails from the late 70s and the 80s, a decade known as the period of Tiki-Devolution.

Bigbro just wishfull thinking i guess..
Also because American 50's and 60's pop culture was such a big influence for the Ramones.

I just remember by the way that in one of their dvd's, (i'm not shure if it is 'Raw' or 'We're outta here') when Marky Ramone is getting interviewd in his livingroom there is an African 'tiki' mask behind him.

[ Edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2005-10-03 01:49 ]

Yes i found one, in the book 'On the road with the Ramones' on page 155 there is a small picture of Joey Ramone huggin a giant Tiki-like creature..
(if i had a scanner at the moment i would have posted it off course!)

Still i know there should be better pictures out there...

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jan 10, 2011 11:57 PM

Tiki Rotterdam is correct. I own that book and I have seen the picture. If you ask nicely I will post it later... Bad news is there's no caption or further info on where that picture was taken...
GABBA GABBA HEY!

When I was working with Linda Ramone and Arturo Vega for a Hurley/ Ramones collaboration, we came across this picture of Joey. This is the only thing that I came across that even gets close to Joey and tiki...

Although, Gary Brandin told me once that Johnny Ramone would come to The Lava Lounge all of the time to see the Blue Hawaiians play.

J

Wow! Talk about a perfect example of an excellent thread coming back to life because someone was delving a bit deeper!!!

Thanks, Zeta!!! See, the search function really DOES work!

Funny enough, I just happen to be reading On the Road with the Ramones right now and stumbled upon that photo the other night.

I knew I had seen that New Caledonian figure somewhere before, and, sure enough...There it was referenced in Sabu's Tiki Tour of San Pedro thread.

And a few more on the web...

From travelpod.com

From Flickr

From onlywdworld.com

BOOM! :o

Nice Work Jonpaul!

yes!!
good work JP,

but also to Unga Bunga,
and Spike for their additions.

Jeff(btd)

How cool is that... ask an you shall receive.... okay 10 yrs later but shoots!!

The Ramones Rock... still...

Awesome...

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Jan 20, 2011 12:59 AM

All I have to add is: THE RAMONES ARE THE BEST ROCK BAND EVER AND THEY ARE TIKI.
Long live Tiki Central!
Great to team work with you JONPAUL! You should post more! (as you said you would)

GABBA GABBA!

1-2-3-4!!!

Well, not as cool as Joey Ramone with a Tiki, but I picked up this old photo with a tourist lady and the same Tikis that Joey was hanging with at Disney World.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2011-08-31 19:49 ]

And the inspiration for those Tikis would be.....

Papuan Spirit Drums!

DC

Pages: 1 17 replies