Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Lake Tiki makes the restaurant reviews...

Pages: 1 9 replies

While reading the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find mention of my tikis! I created these back in April for Kahuna's on Pewaukee Lake.

Scouting Report: Kahuna's Beach Club and Tiki Bar

By Dennis R. Getto
Journal Sentinel dining critic

Published: Sept. 30, 2005

When Steve and Mardi Smirl took over the space that used to house Caliente's, a Mexican restaurant in Pewaukee, all they were sure about was that they wanted their new restaurant to be a fun place, Steve Smirl said.

The result is Kahuna's, a brightly decorated casual spot with a menu that draws on flavors from the South Seas, Asia, India and even the Caribbean. Among the menu items featured are appetizers like satay, plantains, vegetable-filled pot stickers and entrees such as sugar cane shrimp and Bengali mango chicken. Salads, soups and sandwiches also are listed.

"Most of our recipes were ones that we were using at home for entertaining," Steve Smirl said.

In addition to crafting a menu, the husband-and-wife team also did most of the remodeling and decorating, with one major exception. The restaurant's ornate tiki statues (one is a fountain) were hand-carved by Dave Hansen, who specializes in the island art.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-09-30 21:49 ]

C

Very Cool, Lake Surfer - fabulous to finally see a bit of public recognition and appreciation in Milwaukee for Tiki - nice job!!!

Excellent job Lake...

:drink:

-Z

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 6:23 AM

The newspaper is the icing on the cake.

W

Hey Braddah,Great to see that all the work you put into that project was acknowledged.All the Kats and I are looking forward to seeing you and your wife in Lauderdale
next week. Make sure we hook up and party in the after hours "get togethers).... Have a safe trip !!!
Aloha
Joe

R

I hope that you got yourself a few extra copies.

Well deserved and way cool.

Thanks all!
It is kind of icing on the cake... it is nice to get the check but it is nicer to see that people like my work!

three cheers and a tiger for you my bro. see you soon! jimmy.

That's very cool...you can't beat that advertising.

B

GO Lake,GO
Nice job, Nice art, Nice advertisement. What more could you ask? Well we all know That answer.

Pages: 1 9 replies