Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bad Vibes

Pages: 1 11 replies

Has anyone else had this problem? You're busy carving with some kind of vibrating power tool, like a recip carver or a grinder with a chainsaw disc. Everything's going great, but after an hour or two you're sweeping up the sawdust and your hand is still tingling a bit. A couple hours later it still doesn't feel quite right, like a slight numbness. The feeling eventually goes away a few hours later, but you're still wondering about it.

Is this common? Is there a good way to avoid it other than switching to manual tools only? Maybe some kind of special gloves?

A-A

Surf City Chiropractic. Ask for Dr. Dan. 714-960-7807. Welcome to the club. It only gets better.

K
kirby posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 1:14 AM

Ive had this problem also,I think the best way to combat this is good padded work gloves, also it sound funny but try working your hand muscles with one of those spring hand worker outer thingies,your hands need to be strong like a vice..also take a breaks to let your hands stop vibrating.
I personaly have had to cut back on carving with power tools,because I
dont carv enough and my hand take a couple days to stop bein tingly. Ide rather presurve them for painting...

B

I must be losing it. I thought I answered this post yesterday??
Look up "Raynaud's Phenomenon"."
Occupational Raynaud's
Raynaud's symptoms may also be caused by repetitive activities or from using vibrating tools.

Any form of Raynaud's is commonly referred to as Raynaud's syndrome.

Symptoms

• Sudden, Brief Attacks

Diagnosis of Raynaud's syndrome requires no special tests, although tests such as nailfold capillaroscopy (examining the nailfold under magnification to see capillary changes indicative of connective tissue disease); cold stimulation (submerging the hands in ice and timing the return of normal color); or vascular laboratory assessment may be used to determine the severity of the disease.

Although the severity, duration, and frequency of attacks vary both between individuals and over time, the primary symptoms of Raynaud's syndrome are changes in skin color: fingers and sometimes toes turn white, then blue, then red. The tip of the nose and the earlobes and (rarely) the cheeks or chin can also be affected. Sometimes the fingers perspire.

Numbness accompanies the white and blue phases. The red phase brings a burning, throbbing, or tingling sensation and sometimes swelling."

It is fairly common but it is controllable. DO check it out
Do ask your Doctor about it ..

J
john posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 9:24 AM

i get that a lot after a long motorcycle trip from the vibrations throught the handlebar. it takes a day or so but it goes away.
-john

I get that same thing in the morning before The first hr or two in the morning .for me its from the dremel useing my airbrush ,and some of the days from cleaning Pools especially when we get the winds and such .

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 10:59 AM

Yep, I get it bad. I use a chainsaw with an elastomer mounted handle, so that cuts down on it a bit. I've had it and carpel tunnel for about 20 years. Commercial fishing and setting thousands of longline clips really sets me off, as does using a knife to clean hundreds of fish at a time. Recently, my symptoms have remained as sort of a numbness (like anesthesia) that lingers for a few hours or up to a day after a carving project. Whenever I have discussed it with a MD and say "it feels like this when I do that" they always say "then don't do that". Idiots. My wife is finishing up her last rotations and graduates medical school in May, I'll have her tend to my injuries instead of these HMO driven puppet-doctors.

-Gman

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I was sure I wasn't alone in this. I haven't used any power tools since last weekend, but my index finger and thumb still feel a bit dull. I can't stop carving for sure, so I am going to see if I can find some padded gloves with gel in them to ease the vibration. I'll make sure and post whatever I find, because it seems like a fairly common problem.

A-A

AA
I always get it, but it only lasts for about 1/2 to 1 hour after I stop. My left hand ring and pinky fingers are always numb due to a drunk driver t-boning me and popping a couple disc's in my neck. So I'm kind of used to the numb feelings in my hands.

H

Play some guitar. It'll stretch those muscles. Especially in the left hand.
If you don't play guitar, take up the uke.
...............Stretch 'em.

T

good anti vibe work gloves help a lot

M

I do play but just electric now. Fender is my weapon of choice.

Pages: 1 11 replies