Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The FIRST photo in BOT

Pages: 1 4 replies

"Our protagonist, an alien in the world of plastic and chrome." Where/when was that taken and does anyone have any other pictures of him? I haven't found anything about this tiki in "search" and the photo appears to be uncredited. I'm trying a carving based on the picture and would love more info/views.

Thanks!

TT

I can't help you on the BOT picture, but I noticed the picture of the tiki on your post. I just found that one at a weird little book store in Mpls, MN for $10. I also noticed the boat company pictured with the tiki is from MN-pretty weird huh? Sorry I couldn't help.

I am sorry I did not have the space to give each and every image captions...but maybe it did leave a little mystery, too. Having everything spelled out and dated and credited might not have left any room for wonderment, and stunted the inspiration for future urban archaeologists.

The fact that the captions had to be trilingual made it hard space-wise sometimes, though on the other hand the European text added a fake scientific quality to the images, like outsiders looking at a strange cult, no?

Anyway: You are looking at the Armet & Davis designed Mar Vista Bowling Alley Coffeshop (BOT p.197), whose Maikai Room and Tikiness did not last long. But it still is a functioning Bowling Alley (just met there with Sabu and Tangaroa a while back), AND has one very abstract support post Tiki out front.

The "Protagonist" in the photo (which by the way was in 3D originally) probably hails from O.A., which A&E worked with on many jobs

T

On 2005-10-04 02:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Anyway: You are looking at the Armet & Davis designed Mar Vista Bowling Alley Coffeshop (BOT p.197), whose Maikai Room and Tikiness did not last long. But it still is a functioning Bowling Alley (just met there with Sabu and Tangaroa a while back), AND has one very abstract support post Tiki out front.

That was a cool day - I'm glad we did that when we did!

On 2005-10-04 02:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
The "Protagonist" in the photo (which by the way was in 3D originally) probably hails from O.A., which A&E worked with on many jobs

Thanks for the info BigBro!

3D eh? I'd love to see that! Taken with a stereo camera (like the old Stereo Graphic)? or something else? It's a great shot! Know of any others?

Pages: 1 4 replies