Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ugella. Mondo Cane/Horror Music

Pages: 1 3 replies

K

I recently lost an ebay auction to a LP I'm quited interested in learning about, if any one knows anything about it, I'd love to know.
It's called "Theme From 'Mondo Cane' & Other Horror Music" on U.S. budget label Viking (not the N.Z. label)by Ugella. The seller listed that other than Mondo Cane, the songs were all very sensual numbers featuring an uncredited Chaino. It would be typical of Viking to have ONE known song on the LP and the rest generic budget label fare. So, I'm wondering if the other "horror" music on this LP is actually that "voodoo music" recording released under different titles by all the budget labels (Including the rather strange Al-Fi release entitled "Tahitian Percussion"....Tahitian..right, lol).
Anyway, I wonder of anyone out there has this LP, or has heard it & knows what music is on it? I could see how someone might think that "voodoo" LP was Chaino, but maybe this is actually something he did earlier....?
Thanks

I have a shelf full of Exotica, Voodoo, "savage," etc. albums this one is definitely a stand-out. Haven't heard the "songs" replicated on any other budget LPs that I own but I will certainly double-check. The tracks consist mostly of moaning, grunting, and percussion. Fake-ass anthropology at its best.

K

Thanks, Thunderlips for the reply. I was beginning to think NO ONE had this LP on this site, which would seem rather odd.
I found a copy on Gemm music and ordered, so it should be here shortly. Sounds like fun!
Cheers!

K

Interestingly, I recently purchased the Ugella LP and a Chaino LP [on Omega label]online, "Jungle Echoes" and they arrived a few days apart. The Ugella LP IS the "Jungle Echoes" LP with one track removed (Safari Jungle Maze-perhaps the best track on the LP due to the bird calls) and replaced with a bland orchestral track "More-The Theme From Mondo Cane" on the Ugella LP.
Odd how an actual "name performer" had their tracks reissued on a different budget label as they were all generally "no name performers." Although, I suppose Chaino perhaps WASN'T well known at the time he recorded.

Pages: 1 3 replies