Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Alfred Shaheen Retrospective (Nov. 19th)

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

THE ALFRED SHAHEEN RETROSPECTIVE---NOVEMBER 19 AT CRUZ ISLAND+BEACH 3

The Alfred Shaheen Retrospective is a nonprofit show which will be included in the Cruz Island+Beach 3 Surf; Skate & Hawaiiana Expo produced by Cruz Nobleza and held on Saturday, November 19, 2005, between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. The location of the show is the Aviation Park Gymnasium, 1935 Manhattan Beach Boulevard, Redondo Beach, California. The retrospective is for one-day only and will show vintage aloha shirts, dresses, textiles and vintage photos of Shaheen's factory and his unique printing process. The exhibited items are from the private collections of Camille Shaheen-Tunberg and Theodore Theodosus Gonzales. This exhibit is of a historical nature and we are pleased that Mr. Shaheen will be on hand this day to answer any of your questions. The display mannequins for this retrospective are being generously donated for use by Patina-V, City of Industry, California.

Alfred Shaheen was the most creative and prolific of all of the Hawaiian manufacturers in the heyday of ‘50s and ‘60s fashion. Shaheen’s textile designs and fabrics are legendary and were inspired by Hawaii, the South Pacific and Asia. During pre-statehood Hawaii – a critical time in Hawaii’s economic development – Alfred Shaheen built the most comprehensive textile printing, garment manufacturing and retail company Hawaii would ever see. ! ! Stretching beyond the limits imposed on him by the isolation of the Hawaiian Islands, Shaheen literally pioneered Hawaii’s vital garment manufacturing industry by engineering and building his own textile printing machinery, developing innovative textile printing techniques and revolutionary dyes, and by combining all facets of garment creation under one roof in his own production facility. Shaheen’s vision, inventiveness, engineering brilliance and unreserved commitment to authenticity and excellence earned him Hawaii's Lifetime Achievement Award in July of 2001.

Alfred Shaheen designed and manufactured fabrics and clothing for over 40 years and Shaheen’s pieces are among the most prized in vintage fashion collections. His earliest labels include Alfred Shaheen, Shaheen's of Honolulu, Surf 'n Sand and Kiilani. Because Shaheen was the only Hawaiian manufacturer to print his own fabric, he was able to create and distribute exclusive exotic clothing for many national top retailers. By the mid-1950s, Shaheen’s clothing was sold in such stores as Bergdorf Goodman and Marshall Field & Company and s potlighted in such national magazines as Vogue, Mademoiselle and Town & Country. In the early-1960s, Shaheen opened his own chain of retail stores in Hawaii and established Alfred Shaheen departments in national department stores. The exotic beauty of Shaheen clothing held no cultural boundaries, and all cultures were celebrated in Shaheen’s “East Meets West” departments, which opened in such stores as Bullocks, Macy’s and Scruggs Vandervoort Barney. It is widely believed that Shaheen popularized the cultural influence in fashion that exists today.

Recently, a new collection of Alfred Shaheen prints have been brought into production. In keeping with family tradition, Alfred Shaheen and Timothy McCullough, the son of famed shirt maker Reyn McCullough, have teamed up to create The Alfred Shaheen Collection by Reyn-Spooner.

Be careful... the tikies are watching

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2005-10-16 07:20 ]

M

This is a great link to Alfred's wears

http://www.alfredshaheen.com/index.htm

Think anyone would notice if I snuck in Ninja-style and cleaned 'em out of all the great old Shaheen dresses?

(I'm drooling at the mere thought of what will be seen at this thing!! - Damn you, MT, for awakening this green-eyed monster!!)
F

Formikahini, I'm in for the Pink Panther-style larceny!!! lol

Agh, my brain would explode if I attended this show. I may have to do it anyway...

M

On 2005-10-17 12:38, Formikahini wrote:
Think anyone would notice if I snuck in Ninja-style and cleaned 'em out of all the great old Shaheen dresses?

(I'm drooling at the mere thought of what will be seen at this thing!! - Damn you, MT, for awakening this green-eyed monster!!)
F

Aloha Sista Formikahini...
Long time to see. This should be a cool vent. I've met Alfred before. He's amazing... He can remember the pattern of a fabric and its inspiration. I hope that I have a memory like that when I'm 80.

M

don't miss it!!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies