Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Eddie Kamae Live & In Person October 14 & 15 in San Francisco Area

Pages: 1 0 replies

IG

See a living musical legend! As you may know, I spend much joyous time as a ukulele player in a Hawaiian band called The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa. We play what’s known as hapa haole music, all in English, conjuring up the romantic ideal of the islands as a paradise of the Pacific. It was the popular style in the early to mid-20th Century; a favorite with tourists and mainlanders. That being said, I have deep respect and admiration for traditional Hawaiian music sung in the Hawaiian language using customary instrumentation. My love of this genre is a result of listening to a remarkable band called The Sons of Hawaii. Over 40 years ago, they pioneered the renaissance of Hawaiian culture when it was almost lost. The founder of this band is the distinguished Eddie Kamae, ukulele virtuoso, Hawaiian historian and filmmaker. I am extremely happy and proud to announce that I am sponsoring a very special appearance by Mr. Kamae at The Lark Theater in Larkspur, California on the evening of October 14. This is sure to be a night to remember as Eddie Kamae performs music accompanied by hula and presents his newest film, "Keepers of the Flame," a new one-hour documentary that chronicles the lives of three Hawaiian women who, perhaps more than any other 20th century figures, helped to save a Hawaiian culture that was in serious peril. All of this served-up with Judd’s Hill Napa Valley wines. A guaranteed sell-out, so be sure to get your tickets soon. Visit http://www.larktheater.net for tickets and information.

Eddie will also be doing a book signing at Borders in San Rafael on October 15 at 2:00PM.

Two wonderful chances to see a living legend. Don't miss out.

-Iuka Grogg

Pages: 1 0 replies