Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please take a look and help me identify- thanks

Pages: 1 3 replies

Apologies for posting this again-a kind responder the first time suggested posting the pictures.

Pics below---I am not a collector or obviously an expert in this topic. I picked up a group of tiki mask pairs a few years ago on a whim. We have never used them and I'd like to list them on eBay but I am stumped on categories! It is a group of 10-(5 pairs). They are all different sizes and seem to be totally different styles. One pair looks Asian, others Hawaiian or African?? Any simple rules for telling the difference? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Approx. 30" tall

Approx. 11-12" tall

Approx. 10" & 12"

Approx. 9' & 10"

Approx. 7''

[ Edited by: nessiesusan 2005-09-12 11:56 ]

Susan, you might see by the unenthusiatic response that these masks are not really great finds, since none of them are Polynesian in origin. They might work OK hidden in the jetsam and flotsam of someones Tiki bar, as additional decor amongst real Tikis and Tapa cloth lamps, but they are cheap and generic tourist art that is probably carved in some country (Mexico, Phillipines) and sold in another. This is not ALWAYS plain wrong for Tiki style, but there is nothing here that gives it a cheap/funny twist even. A red lightbulb to make the eyes glow might help.

Thanks for responding.
That really all I wanted to know.
I'll guietly leave now.

Hey Nessiesusan,
No need to quietly leave!
Everyone here started off with a lesser degree of knowledge at one point.
There are lots of discussions and lots of information shared so stick around, ask questions, browse and have fun.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 3 replies