Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

wana share sumting rare?!

Pages: 1 14 replies

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Nov 13, 2002 8:19 PM

Aloha friends,
I got this a little while ago and thought I would share it with ppl who appreciate the same stuff I do.
This is a Plaq off of the back of Don Beach's boat called "The Beachcomber". I was told by the guy who had it, that when Don sold his boat the new owner wanted it stripped of everything. So they tossed everything except I guess for this. So, now I have it and enjoy it as one of my very rare items. I have to ask the expert Big Bro and tell me if he has ever heard of the boat "the beachcomber". I know the hong kong lady,the singapore and the marama. I think this is actually off of 1 of his personal boats. I Whish I had a picture of the boat. If someone else has a rare mug or tiki they would like to share would be great eye candy.

I just learned how to post the picture but I don't know how to post 2 on the same post. I'll post the close up in a minute because I have to go back to shutterfly and get the other url.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Nov 13, 2002 8:22 PM

here is da closeup.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Nov 13, 2002 9:11 PM

ok this is the last pic for today. These rare lamps were used in the rooms of the old Waikikian hotel. That is the hotel that the Tahitian Lanai was at. There's a guy I know that has one for sell but he won't budge off of his $500. price tag. I have tried and tried, so I could have the pair but no luck. He won't trade niether. If somebody has deep pockets and would like one I could tell him for ya if it's still available. Mine weighs 10 lbs. so it would probubly cost $25-$30 for shipp with the shade. rough guess.

Gecko - WOW!!!! Enough said....

:drink:

Yes, it's a good Gecko-find! I originally posted it here for him a week ago in the "Visit the Tiki Gallery" thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=580&forum=5&start=30

I put it in the Tiki Gallery too with other Don The Beachcomber stuff:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/search.php?searchstring=Don+The+Beachcomber

Have fun!
SugarCaddyDaddy

T

Nice stuff! Some great pieces...

G

Sorry Suga daddy! I did not see the post! I thought you forgot about it! Thanks for putting it on the tikiroom.net photot album too. you da best man!

yes, it's a great find! I heard from the guy I bought it from that he knows a guy that has an original don the beachcombers driftwood sign that might go up for sale. we'll see.

Aloha

When Wahine Marian and I come visit, I want to touch the Beachcomber boat plaque AND the Hawaiian Village mug.
Hey, whatever happened with that new tiki bar in Waikiki. Did it open yet?

Kailuageoff, yes that new tiki bar is reviewed and discussed in a thread here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1629&forum=1&6

On 2002-11-13 21:11, GECKO TIKI wrote:
ok this is the last pic for today. These rare lamps were used in the rooms of the old Waikikian hotel. That is the hotel that the Tahitian Lanai was at.

Gecko, there is a used furniture store in Hilo that has some of the Waikikian's desks left that have the A-frame lobby carved into them. Some are waterdamaged and thus affordable. She also might still have some of the Ku lamps from the rooms. I think my pal Dug Miller bought almost all of the shoji screen door tiki mask cut outs last time he was there, though. Can't remember name and address, but there can't be too many used furniture stores in Hilo...
My holy grail is this full size idealized painting of the lobby A-frame, painted as if it is sitting on a lagoon, with outrigger and native maiden. It was hanging in a room next to mine, and I was too decent to rip it off, though I knew they were gonna tear the place down. Where is it now, sigh...
The great Waikikian rendering that one sees on the old postcard is now in the posession of the wife of the contractor who took the complex down.

Never heard of that boat, must've been his own, great artifact!

Hey, had my picture taken with Beachbum Berry posing with your Mai Kai Gents Tiki at the Tiki Ti last night, by Judd, who will surely forward it to you.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Nov 14, 2002 2:38 PM

Well, I wish you had the name of the place big bro I could then just call and have one shipped. I'm gonna try to get a Hilo phone book somehow. I gotta get a table to go with my lamp.

eh, big bro u took a picture with my MaiKai Gents tiki..Suuupa. Judd seemed pretty happy to get it. I'm glad he liked it. I'll have to keep the picture he sends me for my own little museaum(sp?) I am upset that the Tiki went to Tiki Ti before me!

Judd (weird uncle) did an excellent Job for his first performance at LaMariana!!! I too sang a group song that night. I couldn't let Judd be the only TC member to sing at the legendary LaMariana. Judd you have to post some pics.

I got an email that I mistakenly deleted from someone. They asked what was the carving to the left of the Waikikian lamp. Well, if you get to read this, befor I started carving Tiki's my first love was carving Hawaiian flowers on whatevas. The item by the lamp is a curly koa body board that I'm carving a monestera leaf into. Something for my personal use. Hope you get to read this...sorry.

Yes, KailuaGeoff you can play with my toys when you visit! As I have said many times, everyone is welcomed to my home.

Aloha

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Nov 14, 2002 2:54 PM

Almost forgot, Big bro you said that the rooms at the Waikikian had Ku lamps? ok..mine is a Moai. Did they have different lamps for different rooms maybe? or one's older than the other? they sarted with Ku then moved to the Moai design? Or did the ocean view rooms have the Ku and the others the Moai design. just wondering. Do you know?

On 2002-11-14 14:54, GECKO TIKI wrote:
Almost forgot, Big bro you said that the rooms at the Waikikian had Ku lamps? ok..mine is a Moai. Did they have different lamps for different rooms maybe? or one's older than the other? they sarted with Ku then moved to the Moai design? Or did the ocean view rooms have the Ku and the others the Moai design. just wondering. Do you know?

Yeah, they had different Tiki lamps...don't know if older/newer, but one can assume that even though these suckas were out of heavy plaster/concrete, some got packed and had to be replaced...I remember them being WHITE (!), maybe painted later?
And the Waikikian had Ocean front rooms? I thought they all just opened into the Tiki torch lit courtyard, with it's meandering paths leading to the Tahitian Lanai...aaah, now there are some artifacts to look for from THAT place, like that modern wall carving of various island Tikis from behind the bar...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-11-14 20:37 ]

Gecko,

Try your public library for the phone book. I know ours has phone books for every state.

G

Aloha Bongofury,
Great idea! we get one library down da street. This place is da best place fo info Bongofury! First time I see your name, welcome.
This is one of da exciting tings of da culture...Da trill of da hunt. Now fo my end table.

shootz!
meaning of shootz (later, ok, lets do it)

Wahine: eh, like go room talk story?
Kane: No can.(don't wan't too)
Wahine: k, like get naked?
Kane: SHOOOOOOOTZ!

Pages: 1 14 replies