Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Official Tiki Central Hukilau 2005 Pics Post...Please put them here

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

Jimi and his ENTIRE family!!!!! We were lucky to be considered friends.....

What a life.......

Now the good tiki shots......tikis!!!!

The Mystery Dance.......

Finally....I have posted some pics again. It has inspired me to post my Coco Palms pics and Kauai pics from this summer AND.....Neptune's headhunter find.....soon to come!

Love to all and thanks for the BEST weekend!!!! I cannot wait until next year!!!! Thank goodness we have the Hawaiian Inn coming up soon!!!!!

Neptune Wahine

[ Edited by: Neptune Wahine 2005-10-13 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: Neptune Wahine 2005-10-13 19:22 ]

Our beloved pearly Shell asked if I could post these for her... ![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce32b3127cce94c2fb52161400000015108AbuG7Jq1YtM[img] [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce32b3127cce94c2fb50161600000015108AbuG7Jq1YtM)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-10-13 21:24 ]

Muchos Mohaloz, BK!!!
& Thanks to RugbyMatt for taking the pics!
Love & Aloha,
Pearly Shell

I have a few pictures from the Hukilau Home Bar Tour - oddly enough, King Kukulele does not appear in any of them!

The first stop was the home of Kern and Elka Mattei. What will I remember most from this stop? The excited kids! How many times, when you were growing up, did a big bus pull outside your home and dozens of tiki fanatics come out! This picture shows Kern and two little ones, as King Kukulele and the tiki gang sang a song of appreciation before heading back on the bus.

In the surrealism department, at Kern's home I was watching some amazing Hawaii footage of a children's fire twirling championship, and the smaller of the two boys came running into the living room wearing a SpongeBob SquarePants costume, and just as quickly turned around and ran back into the bedroom. For a while I was wondering if someone had put something in my rum drink!

The next shot is of Charles Phoenix narrating on the bus - probably presenting us with his Spam Cake recipe. or was that a Spaaaaaauuuuuuum Caaaaaaaaaaake recipe?

The next home to visit was Pia and Drew's backyard, where a wonderful luau dinner was presented. Here are pictures of the punch being prepared.

The tiki torches were lit, the Haole Kats were playing, the luau food - especially the pulled pork, was incredible

and then near the end of the Haole Kats set, the color of the sky was adapting an unusual glow ... and people started dancing to the live music.... (Pia, Drew, Crazy Al, and Shelley dancing)

And then the clouds opened wide and it started pouring. This did not stop Al and Pia from dancing, nor the caterers from cleaning up

A few minutes later we all had to walk through the rain to the bus - well, we would have walked through the rain, but the ever-smiling Pia was there with her umbrella, providing front door to bus door cover to keep us dry.

By the time we pulled up to the next home - Tiki Kiliki's Sunken Pearl, the rain had stopped falling, and we found on the front patio the Jab doing the drink serving honors

and inside, we find Tiki Kiliki doing what looks like to be a Tiki Mambo behind her tiki bar

A short drive to the final home on the home bar tour - Chip and Andy's Hale Ealoli, where I spent most of the time enjoying myself in the pool. I did take these two pictures of their home though - the first a mural in the backyard.

and some cool lights inside ....

And finally - just before they walked out the door to take the bus back to the Bahia Mar .... here are your Hukilau organizers - thank you Tiki Kiliki and Mr Tikibars James Teitelbaum. You two, along with all your other helpers and volunteers, really put on an incredible event this year.

Hukilaus 4-ever,
Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2005-10-13 22:20 ]

Great pictures everyone and ikitnrev. I just realized your name is tikivern backwards. Sneaky....

S

Good to see some pics of "The Crazed Mugs". Their CD is out and available and I hoped they would be performing "Hukilau Hurricane" on the Mai Kai stage for all us who were there last year. I heard the CD and was really shocked. It's a must!

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 7:21 AM

On 2005-10-12 11:31, Juno wrote:
Those Creepy Tiki guys were creeping around with a camcorder on Fri. night. They came up behind my father without him knowing and stuck the camcorder right in his face. He didn't who they were or what to say he he said something like "I swear, she told me she was 18" and both guys fell over laughing. I'd love to get a copy af that!

Hey Juno, my wife and I were sitting next to your Dad Friday night and I remember this vividly...I also remember a mouthful of Zombie almost shooting out of my nose because of it! Funny stuff for sure, he was a riot.

Look forward to seeing you again!

• Jason
K

Hey Juno, my wife and I were sitting next to your Dad Friday night and I remember this vividly...I also remember a mouthful of Zombie almost shooting out of my nose because of it! Funny stuff for sure, he was a riot.

I remember you guys...too funny! My Dad and Sandy had a blast and will definitely be back next year. See you then!

Wow, ikitnrev, your foto essay of the Home Bar Tour was amazing!! I will be copying every shot into my laptop foto album of the trip - thanks for having been so diligent to shoot the good stuff.

"Mmmm...man...this south sea island atmosphere is just soooo relaxing...I could just..mmmm...Naw, I shouldn't...But, you know, who's gonna notice...Here goes...Naw, wait-...oops, he, he...too late....Ahhhhhhhh....."

K

Who was that guy? He had an untouched mai tai under his chair that I almost stole. Now that I see he pissed himself I'm glad I didn't.

CA

Hey I caught Mr. Cabaña Boy admiring the uniquely painted official Hukilau Necklace...
(he said something about lacing S.D's neck or something)

if you didn't get one get yours here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16897&forum=12&start=last&

[ Edited by: traderjim6781 2005-10-15 15:07 ]

OH, Trader Jim, you have just made my NIGHT! You captured the Esther Williams dive!!

(I like how the 2nd shot, the mid-dive shot, has me just having hit the water, hence the tidal wave!)

We WERE as fabulous as we felt!!!

And the shot of BK, Hanford, Humu2, Pearly Shell and Unga is terrific! (Sick, my ass, girl - you look GREAT!)

FormikaEsther

Pulled into the driveway at 6:30 pm tonight...

After three days in Fort Lauderdale it became impossible to leave Florida. Sunday morning had us heading to beautiful South Beach for the day and then up to a Satellite Beach condo right on the beach from Sunday night until Thursday morning. Ah, falling asleep to the sound of waves and then waking up to a glassy head high ground swell...

Up to NASA on Thursday then off to JAX Beach that night... Friday was spent surfing a NE windswell at JAX pier until 3 then heading to an overnight in Georgia on the trek home....

What a great trip... such a shame to return to temps in the 50's!

Thanks all who made Hukilau possible and to all those who supported my fun in Florida with a purchase from my table!

I miss my neighbors Kick the Reverb, Bongofury, and my partner in crime... Poly Pop... residents of room 118.

Booty Beer Forever!

The cookies next to the Wreck Bar are the greatest in all of Florida, especially at 2:30 am!

I'll see you guys at Oasis... I'm going to try my hardest to get there!

Cabana Boy was worked up into a frenzy at the Mai Kai, but found a way to cool it off a bit...

Cabana Boy liked to sneak up on all the waitresses at the Mai Kai too...

Trying to cut in on Kick the Reverb's Mystery Dance...

After being unsuccessful the first time, he thought he'd try again with me under the disguise of the flash...

Last I heard, Cabana Boy smuggled himself on a plane to Southern California... maybe he'll show at Oasis?

A taste of the swell this past week at Cocoa Beach pier... a bit of high tide on it but fun nontheless... too bad we didn't get a Hukilau session at the beach! Hope Florida sliders found something at their home break this week... I enjoyed it!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-10-16 21:34 ]

Sharing a drink with Cabana Boy... he was making the rounds at the 2nd Happy Hour...

WWCBD meets WWJD...

Hanging out with the guys... Cabana Boy is always the life of the party...

Nectar of the gods... the Mystery Bowl...

Pop and Bongofury taunting Cabana Boy with the Mystery Bowl...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-10-16 22:11 ]

CA

i don't have the excuse of surfing my way up the FL coast... but a week later Hukilau still lives on and i finally ready to share.

this years Hukilau was All'Time!

these Wack'jobs.... All'Time!!

the watermelon....All'Time!!

the harp.... All'Time!!

seven sheets of music for each song.... All'Time!!

worship of Reverb's best attribute.... All'Time!!!

back room MaiKai tikis.... All'Time!!

the King's short hairs... All'Time!!

MaiKai Show......... All'Time!!

this dancer..... ALL TIME!!!!!

war cubs.... All'Time!!

MaiKai canabels...... ALL TIME!!

Live 'Denny' at night's end.... ALL TIME!!!!

the vibes....... All'Time!!

flute guy on bongos.... All'Time!!

over looking tikis..... ALL TIME!!!

not missing the home tour... All'Time!!

my mug in Mr.MaiKai's collection.... All'Time!!

Mr. Phoenix in his own slide.... ALLLLLLLLLL Tiiiiiime!!

backyard eats........ All'Time!!

future backyard rain escape... All'Time!!

back yard tunes....... All'Time!!

backyard tikis..... All'Time!!

even more tour finds....... All Time!!!

next years HUKILAU....... ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MG

THAT'S RIGHT CRAZY AL!

Formikahini, where's the octopus that was in my hat?

The photo came out BEAUtifully! - just got 'em all developed yesterday. Now, getting 'em PhotoShopped down small enough to post (or even to email to a kind post-er) is another trick, since I lost PhotoShop when my harddrive got erased. grrrr....

But I'll do it. I got some nice shots, especially the octopus in your hat. (The one of the armadillo in your trousers didn't come out)

On 2005-10-17 09:48, Formikahini wrote:
The photo came out BEAUtifully! - just got 'em all developed yesterday. Now, getting 'em PhotoShopped down small enough to post (or even to email to a kind post-er) is another trick, since I lost PhotoShop when my harddrive got erased. grrrr....

You might have basic Photo editing software built in your computer. On my Windows computer I double click on the photo I want. Left click on the photo so that "EDIT -among other things pops up) , click on Edit, go to Image in tool bar, go to Stretch/Skew and I type in 60% to reduce the image. Note; the software I am using states "Paint" don't worry, it works.

Ooh, baby, that works!
I still miss being able to crop/edit etc., but I can DO this!

(Damn you, Mr Smiley! Now you've taken away my excuse for never posting!!!!! Now I'm gonna hafta learn how to do it!!)

On 2005-10-17 12:16, Formikahini wrote:
Ooh, baby, that works!
I still miss being able to crop/edit etc., but I can DO this!

(Damn you, Mr Smiley! Now you've taken away my excuse for never posting!!!!! Now I'm gonna hafta learn how to do it!!)

TEE hee. Feel free to post any pictures I sent you :)

Also try Picasa2, which I think is put out by Google.
Its a free download and it allows the user to crop. Also its a great tool to find every photo in your computer so you don't have to hunt for what you are looking for.

M

Try this link for some of my pictures;
http://www.pbuzz.com/showalbum.php?aid=2963&uuid=2914

Getting a Russian Roulette at the bar...

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-18 17:25 ]

Oh Man! If there was ever a time I wanted to be sacrificed to the Gods; this would be it;
(along with the Mai Kai Wahinas that is)
Excellent job Smiley!
Jabber, next year we’ll have the Russian Roulette Bermuda Triangle!

S

Me, Jeff and Nichole on friday night

You know whom and Mr. Drasnin(and a nice autographed record)

Our view of the show at the Mai-Kai

Me looking seriously toasted at the Mai-Kai

And, one of my highlights of saturday night, the Intoxicators after-dinner jam session.

T

Charles Phoenix and The King

After Hukilau, we headed to The Keys.

These tikis are at a place called Holiday Isle in Islamorada

Also in Islamorada is a road side tiki carver.

Mrs. Pug & Tiki Tom

We bought the tiki on the left.

King Kukulele and Mean Gene met up with us in Key West.

The King & I rock the Elvis wigs.

As we were walking down Duval Street, we came upon a toothless street performer(bum) who was playing a 3 string sitar. Actually, 1 string had broke so it was a 2 string sitar. King Kuk asked if he could play it and then preceded to treat us to a 2 string rendition of Love Rollercoaster by The Ohio Players.

These tikis are in a McDonalds in Marathon Key

Better late than never.

Hanford, Humu and Bamboo Purse patiently await a moment with Robert Drasnin.

Ikitnrev says to Ninsard Trebor, "A guy and a marimba walked into a bar . . . "

Jeff Central relaxes in the dark confines of the Mai Kai while a thirsty tiki wants to be let in.

Deb and Jeff unwound.

Humuhumu, Puamana, Jet Pilot, and Barrel O' Rum in the Molokai Bar.

Hanford, Humu and Selector Lopaka feel the glow.

Hula!

Tikivixen and Bill are entranced by Fire!

ZAZZ!

Lopaka can't help himself.

M

Yma Sumac has not passed the torch yet....

Hey Rob!! Thanks for the great pics!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I'm sorry, but I had to milk this picture.
(Thanks traderjim6781)
I'll see you guys next year for the Mai Kai 50th!!!

W

Aloha friends

If people have any high-res digital photos (not shrunk for online/TC usage) of WAITIKI events at the hukilau and could email us those , much appreciated. break up into chunks if sending a lot (zipping up batches is ok too).

send to [email protected]

mahalo!
WAITIKI

TG

Bump for Hukilau 2006.

Just wait until the official announcement. As usual, to follow the amazing Tiki Oasis. We're gearing up for a most amazing event everyone!! The 50th of the Mai Kai and the 5th Anniversary of the Mai Kai!!!

This may very well be my favorite picture ever...

TG

Yeah with Oasis going on, I figured we needed a little pumping up for us eastcoasters. Looking forward to this years event.

Rumor has it the venue has been changed? Is this so? Hotel reservations have already been made at the Bahia Cabana?

Wherever it is, it is going to be spectacular I'm sure.....

will be patient, will be ,will be patient

Bump again! Hukilau 2006!

East of the Mississippi tiki represent! :)

Pages: 1 2 87 replies