Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

WAITIKI performing in NYC (Winter, 2005) - would you come?

Pages: 1 22 replies

MH

Aloha wackos and wackettes

Just wondering what the crowd is in the NYC/tri-state area and whether WAITIKI would have a turnout at a place such as Otto's if we did a gig there this winter.

The club (Ottos) doesn't seem interested in having us as "we don't really have a tiki following on the weekends that would probably be into your music" and they don't think it would be a successful night. The booking agent did give us a nice props and apparently is connected to folks from TC and heard about the Hukilau.

Anyhow, it would be interesting to disprove him and find out perhaps there are folks interested in classic and new exotica from Boston's only Exotic Tiki Entertainment act!

okonkuluku!

Mr. Ho
http://www.waitiki.com

P

I'll be in Da City the week before Christmas... that's the plan.
Dec. 20-24.

Is this around the time you're thinking about?

I'd be in - but its hard to say without a date.
I htink you spoke to Steve at Ottos - hes a good guy - we put up some Hukilau posters in Ottos. Weekends are tough bookins in NYC - maybe consider a weekday??? - Not sure if thats possible.

I can help promote if needed - no fee- just PM me.

wow! Well, as you know, Steve and I live down here in Ft. Liquordale Florida, but we are HUGE fans of the band! Maybe we would fly up for a show? Depends on the dates... Keep in touch with us about it honey!

the folks at otto's do a fine job & are certainly into "Exotic Tiki Entertainment" - they have the Fisherman there every monday - & it's been like that for at least a couple of years.

however, i've been there on the weekends & they really don't have a tiki following that would be into your music. the weekend crowd (when i've been there) is much more interested in LOUD punk rock. it would probably be a very frustrating experience for your band.

otto's is a very tiki place, but it's more punk than anything (it's in the old max's kansas city).

you might want to contact waikiki wally's. but, the weekend would probably not be an option there either.

would you consider playing at my house?
back at the end of august the fisherman played here & we had a blast!

here's the thread (w/ pics) about the party: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15778&forum=4

i certainly wouldn't mind hosting another event. email or PM me if you want to try to plan something.

best of luck,
chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2005-10-13 14:50 ]

I don't think that I'll be traveling then due to my heavy basketball schedule this season, but I'll travel if I can. I will however promise to send all of my friends who live in the area to see you!!

:music: Speaking of performances... you guys might want to shoot me a PM or an e-mail..... I do have a LOT of good footage from your fantastic set at the Mai Kai. :music:

You chaps seem more skronk-jazz venue than punk-rock venue. Nu?

CA

i thought my good friend the Fisherman was the all time new vibes guy...... now there's this guy in WaiTiki hot on his tail.......

good times a head!!!

i'll go, mistah ho... am i invited? (hahahah)

I thought Otto's was the old Barmacy, not Max's, but what do I know.

-g-

CA

who in NY books all the Burlesque shows/tours with the Fisherman?... there should be Exotica Tours!!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2005-10-14 10:23 ]

i thought it was Barmacy too - since it was once a drug store indicated by the RX medicine logo on the floor when you walk in the front door.
????

T

Hey All!
steve from Otto's here!
Anyone that's been to Otto's has seen that it's not particularly filled with Tiki-philes. We therefore straddle the line when it comes to music and entertainment. We have Surf, Garage, Rockabilly/Psychobilly and Punk nights. We even have traditional Greek music once a month! And of course we've had Fisherman every Monday for over 2 years. I've got a slot open Sat. Nov 5th 8-10 that I'm offering to Waitiki. Tiki Centralites show me that I'm wrong for not having faith in the Tiki Gods!
I'm going to sacrafice a pig in the backyard now.

Lee and I will be in The Area Dec 23-26 fo' Christmas. Will you be performing then?

If there were the slightest possible chance I could make it there, I would go!!!

Er, does that insignificant Calitikifornia vote of confidence help?!?

FOLKS, THESE GUYS ARE GRRRREAT!!! Don't miss them, seriously. They ROCKED Hukilau. I so wish we had the time/money/etc.etc. to make this show!

Come out to CA soon, Waitiki!

xox tikivixen

Yes!!! New Jersey will be in the Otto's house to see Waitiki!!! (Important note: Otto's Mai Tai's are not--they're more like My Tie's). Otto's is a small venue/stage--more like playing in someone's kitchen, but it does have a cool vibe, and if it brings ya out to NYC, DO IT!!!

K
kauno posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 7:34 PM

Waitiki at Otto's?! Sounds like it'll be a great show! I'm gonna try to make it to this. Yes, Otto's has got that real vibe going on and killer drinks to boot. Tiki with that ole NYC charm!

Kauno - Trader Extraordinaire

http://www.tikicargo.com

CA

if you missed this from the hukilau post

the watermelon must come to Otto's!!

watch out Fisherman!!

flute guy on bongos nice!

the room with feel like this with out mai-tais!

everyone must go from every island and swamp from near and far!!

T

Waitiki in NYC would be great!

Otto's is a great place (despite serving the worst Mai Tai ever, and it's served to you in a rented (???) tiki mug). I was there a few Saturdays ago, great crowd listening to Rockabilly. How could they (or anyone) not dig Waitiki?

Hmm, a most encouraging bunch of responses! I don't know about the My Ties; is there a cooler clause in the contract somewhere? Can we contract our own Mixmaster? You know, the Professah can't be "on" without a good half-dozen Shrunken Shizzles or so.

Do we have quorum here?

I will be in New York over Thanksgiving...

Mr. Ho, do you need any monkeys to stop in and jamm on the vibes???

E

David here, from the Upper West Side/NYC. We'll be at Otto's come heck or high water. Sounds like fun!

MH

Aloha

Just wanted to clarify - WAITIKI is NOT performing this weekend in NYC anywhere. I've gotten several emails asking which is great! This was just an exploratory thing to judget interest in the tristate area. However, Steve and the Fisherman from Otto's have been in contact and at some point, WAITIKI will probably get down there. It's been very hectic getting stuff in order for Mexico next year.

get on the mailing list at http://www.waitiki.com/mailinglist.cfm and note that all of our shows are always posted on our website (if it isn' t there, it isn't happening)...

mahalo!
Ho

Pages: 1 22 replies