Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

10/25 Last TUESDAY Emeryville Trader Vic/ Oakland Conga Lounge

Pages: 1 28 replies

Due to schedule conflicts we are doing the Last Thursday crawl on October’s last TUESDAY.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CHANGE.

TUESDAY night 10/25 end of month Get-together at Emeryville Trader Vic/ Oakland Conga Lounge!

Great tiki drinks, great tiki food, great tiki company, and great tiki decor!

7ish to 9:00ish at Emeryville's Trader Vics.
9:30ish to closing at Oakland's Conga Lounge.

I will post later re any drink or food discounts.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-10-14 11:40 ]

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 2005-10-19 15:03 ]

Our Last TUESDAY this month will be a blast! We'll be there, bien sur mes amis! hee the only problem will be that the best drinks will be at the beginning thanks to Martiki!!! I'm REALLY gonna have to eat a BIG lunch to survive.

I love the Tonga Room (and Vic's, natch), but frankly it's our favorite bartender that'll get me over to SF. (Well, that and making the visit early enough to miss most of the rush-hour traffic!)

(warning: you are entering my random-thoughts zone)

If this early-happy-hour-in-SF addition to the Last Thursday concept doesn't work out, maybe we could just have a special 'Bother Martiki and Leave Him Big Tips" night every month anyhoo. Depending on what nights he works, really. I mean, twice a MONTH is not too often for me to see all you ohana! Sheesh! And it's in a different part of the Bay Area, so different people might be able to make it, too. You know how crossing that Bridge tends to Intimidate people. (especially with all this stupid construction.)

AND, if the Last Thursday concept were to stay East Bay only, mebbe once in a while we could include the Mallard tiki patio in Albany, especially since that way Tikibot AND Mrs. P (and the little pineapple!) would be able to join us more easily since it's right near their house. It's also a total straight shot (gulp? no pun intended) along San Pablo Ave. or the freeway to/from Vic's Emeryville. Mmm?

Plus, don't know if Robin still works there or if it'd even be on a night she works, but hey--along with Conga Paul, she is my OTHER favorite bartender, obviously.

Just thoughts! Use at your own risk! Ponder responsibly! :wink:

tikivixen

T

Martiki works Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays from 4PM until 12ish, and Thursdays at lunch. So, he will not be pouring during this event, or any other Thursday (or Tuesday) night event (unless his schedule changes).

E
ewik posted on Tue, Oct 18, 2005 7:20 AM

Hi,
I was thinking about going to this is there any thing special I need to do? tell some one I am coming or any thing like that?

e

http://www.ewik.com

On 2005-10-18 07:20, ewik wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking about going to this is there any thing special I need to do? tell some one I am coming or any thing like that?

e

http://www.ewik.com

All you have to do is show up and ask for the "tiki central" crowd!
See you there!

I might be able to make it to the Conga later because I have plans Tuesday because I wasn't expecting the Thursday event to change. I had kept Thursday open. I hope the Non-tc folks who know about this normally Thursday event don't show up on Thursday.

M

On 2005-10-14 12:38, tikivixen wrote:

maybe we could just have a special "Bother Martiki and Leave Him Big Tips" night every month anyhoo.

I fully endorse this concept.

Seroiusly, it sounds like this might be the new monday idea that Humu mentioned and got started last night. I don't work either Tues or Thurs happy hour, but would always be happy to join if I have time. Maybe the last thusday (tues) idea is better kept to the east bay, but I'm happy either way.

H

On 2005-10-18 12:26, mrsmiley wrote:
I had kept Thursday open. I hope the Non-tc folks who know about this normally Thursday event don't show up on Thursday.

Agreed -- I've been hyping this "Last Thursday" event on both the MySpace tiki group and on Humu Kon Tiki.

Concerns re date change noted.

However, this month, next month (Thanksgiving) and December (New years eve) the "last Thursday" cannot take place on the last Thursday.

I have noticed that other monthly events get their dates tweaked as needed.

I am confident in the reading comprehension ability of TC'ers to note the date changes...

M

On 2005-10-18 15:45, dangergirl299 wrote:
Concerns re date change noted.

However, this month, next month (Thanksgiving) and December (New years eve) the "last Thursday" cannot take place on the last Thursday.

I have noticed that other monthly events get their dates tweaked as needed.

I am confident in the reading comprehension ability of TC'ers to note the date changes...

The concept that I (and maybe others) liked is the fact that one always knew when the event was. "Last Thursday" / Last tuesday or whatever day it was chosen to continually be. That way Others (non-TC) will always know when it is.
Of course I understand the Thanksgiving change (or cancellation) but since New Years Eve is on Saturday 12/31 I don't know what the conflict is with a Thursday event? It is your event so your may do as you wish, but I recommend a new name other than the misleading "Last Thursday" name that his been used.

T

I propose the name "lost Thursday", as in "lost weekend".

Eh, Thursday Dec. 29th IS pretty close. More to the point, I think a lotta people go out of town for the week after Christmas and/or are too thwacked out by Christmas to do much until New Year's.

Thanksgiving...hmmm...

But ya know, if Vic's was one of those restaurants which mounts a full Turkey Day spread, I'd be tempted. Bet I'm not the only one. If my cousin feels like putting on a shindig this year I'd choose that, since his parties even beat tiki parties! and I love to see what few surviving relatives I've got. But if he's vacationing in Hawaii or something...WELL...

just a thought.

Meanwhile, I am frustrated that I can't think of a single cute alternate name for Last Thursday. I will say though--doesn't everyone's normal schedule get insane at the holidays?? I don't really think too many people will be put off--it's expected (ugh) this (choke) time of year.

I can't believe it IS this time of year already.

Updates:

Conga Lounge has graciously offered TC'ers a discount on their Mojito and Jamaican beef curry/ veg curry pies.

In light of the new Mondays at SF Trader Vics, I took that off our agenda (so it's Emeryville Trader vics, then Conga Lounge).

As for the proper name of things or what days events are held, I don't see what all the fuss is about if we're all going to be DEAD of AVIAN FLU shortly anyway!!!! :o

All the more reason to gather with friends and loved ones and drink mai tais NOW. (Will there be mai tais and happy hours in the Apocolypse?)

MT

On 2005-10-18 16:42, thejab wrote:
I propose the name "lost Thursday", as in "lost weekend".

Here-Here. I second that proposal!

Me too

I have had such a crazy month and this last week is a DOOZY! Can't wait to start DRINKING tomorrow night! am looking forward to it...

E
ewik posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 1:40 PM

so if no SF trader vics then are the times changed?

ewik:
the times for the other 2 places are unchanged:

7ish to 9:00ish at Emeryville's Trader Vics.
9:30ish to closing at Oakland's Conga Lounge.

MT

I can't make it this Tuesday night, 'cause I'm going to a concert. Bauhaus at The Warfield in S.F. Maybe next month.

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2005-10-24 14:23 ]

Bauhaus?!? duuude...post a review!

H

Haha, cool! Thanks to Slacks Ferret & his cousin wrongdimensionboy, I got to spend a surreal evening with David J at a supersecret home tiki bar in Hollywood (quite possibly the best home tiki bar I've been in). God, that was a fun night. My 15-year-old self would never have thunk it possible. God I love L.A.

We don't know yet if we'll be able to make it tomorrow night, it depends on whether H will be able to wrap up some work stuff on time.

MT

On 2005-10-24 17:30, tikivixen wrote:
Bauhaus?!? duuude...post a review!

Will do. I'm going to tonight's (Tues) show, and Wednesday night's show as well. Really looking forward to these shows - although I was a huge Love & Rockets fan in college, I've never seen Bauhaus live (though I've caught Love & Rockets a few times). Got my white face make-up on now. :D

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.