Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Headhunter

Pages: 1 14 replies

I have been wanting to share Neptune's Headhunter for a few months. First of all, he saw this headhunter at an estate sale over a year ago. The people running the estate sale were taking bids on him. He called the next day to find out that he had lost the bid. I have to admit I was thrilled.

Fast forward a year and low and behold, Neptune is walking the flea market looking for treasures and there he is with a price tag of $2000.00 around his neck. Neptune goes up to the guy (who he knows) and asked him if he got it from the estate sale and he said he did. He knew he did not pay anything close to that amount. He asked him where it has been all this time and he said in his garage and the misses wanted it OUT!

Neptune told him we had some items that he may be interested in as a trade for the headhunter ---- your basic junk that we were getting rid of. So he loaded up the van with an old table, snow boots(it is Florida --- not a lot of use for those), a bowling ball without the holes, pewter dishes, silk flowers, etc. He opened up the van and everything was a hit --- so he got this headhunter for $200.00 with the trade. He is actually from the 1950's and from the Philippines.

He sits in our computer room and I softened him up a bit by placing a lei around his neck!

[ Edited by: Neptune Wahine 2005-10-16 07:19 ]

Neptune W....That is simply beeeeeautiful. I got 2 woven bamboo pieces. They were from the Phillipines as well, with a savage doing the same pose. Ill put up a pic. Great score! If you ever get sick of him, I gotta hell of a spot for him at the Ballsavage Lounge. Maholla!!

Definitely post those pics! Neptune would never part with him....I am rather fond of him myself. Thanks for the offer though! Now if my mother-in-law could do a deal on the side.....believe me she would give him to you! She despises him!

great re-find! he's a bit scarey for my liking, though the lei helps a bit!

how tall is this guy?

The headhunter from dead body he is standing on to the head he is proudly holding up is about 6 feet tall! WOW!!! I know what you mean about him being scarey.....he grows on you!

[ Edited by: Neptune Wahine 2005-10-16 13:58 ]

That really warm the old heart. What a great piece!

D

one head looks like Lee Marvin..

wow, 6' of fierceness. honestly i'd be scared to sleep at night.

Wow! That is awesome!

I to have been lucky enough to find one at an Estate sale - albeit a much smaller version. Mine is a mere 18" from the base to the top of the severed head and it is not as detailed a carving. A mere $15.00 - and I got it on Sunday - Half price day!

I was excited as hell - the name of my home bar is the Headhunters Hollow - how perfect is that?

Thanks for sharing. One amazing piece!

Maori Man, you'll have to dig up photos of ikitnrev's home. He has one of those smaller headhunters, whose heads happen to be, well, Barbie sized.

Vern customized his by adding a row of Farrah Fawcett heads to the pole of "trophies."

Looks MAH-velous!

Formikahini.....I am glad you mentioned Vern's headhunter with the Farrah Fawcett heads....I have been trying to get him to post the pics of it, since I heard about it last January. Vern post your pics!

Here's the link: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5579&forum=5&vpost=52961&hilite=headhunter

Mine is very similar but mine has the slumped body of the victim at his feet. Also - I am not sure what type of knife it is suppose to have. Mine has one of those small mini metal knives with pearl handles.

Okay now, I wanna breathe life back into this HEADHUNTER carving topic! Bigbro, I'm leaning on you to "head" this one in the right direction!! :D

This is a postcard submitted by ZuluMagoo; interior of King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri

On 2008-01-26 07:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-01-25 23:49, ZuluMagoo wrote:
It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri.

Whoa, Mike, what a find! Not a prime example of the style, but unique in its earnest attempt. What an unusual headhunter statue!

Does anyone have photos to share of this type of carving from thier personal collection? Postcards or other ephemera to support various origins and locales these bad boyz were carved or thier tiki hangouts back in the day?

Here's one currently offered on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160194084508&indexURL=2&photoDisplayType=2

Don't be shy carvers, what's your take on this and if you were commissioned to carve one "a head above the rest"??? :wink: Anyone... Benz, BK, Buzz, Diablo, Gman, Lake, Babaluuuuuuuu, etc... anyone??????? :D

I

The above link to my headhunter was dead .... here it is again, with a better link.

Yes, those are Farrah Fawcett doll heads.

SsweeetT vern, those heads are choice... but are they authentic?? :lol:

M

nice vern! :lol: perfect place for farrah to be

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-01-26 14:02 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies