Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pirates are the new tiki

Pages: 1 18 replies

S

ARR!

I be ganderin' at thee "sixspace gallery" site and saw...

"Pirate Booty: the Arrrt of Mates & Wenches"

"The snarling attitude of pirates has captured the imagination of many fine folk. In this exhibition, we celebrate all things pirate by featuring artwork by artists who love skull-and-crossbones, eye patches, and drinking rum. In case you haven't heard, pirates are the new tiki so you better come or we'll make you walk the plank!"

-The Dreaded Pirate SullTiki

R
Rain posted on Thu, Nov 28, 2002 11:33 PM

schweet.
i was just in saint augustine attending to a nearly-dead vehicle when i discovered a new shop chock full of pirate-o-bilia. some friends and i were talking about having a pirate boat party. too bad none of us own a boat.
the cool thing about pirates is, they don't have to be the new tiki -- which implies replacing tiki -- since american tiki kitsch is largely fantasy anyway, pirates can be readily incorporated into the whole thing.

I saw the MTV Cribs with Rob Zombie, and he has a whole room with a giant "Pirate Bar" and all the kitschy pirate stuff you could shove in a room. I love tiki, but it had to be one of the coolest things I have seen in while. Its only a matter of time before all the hipsters are looking for white ruffly shirts and eye patches!

M

But I don't wanna be a pirate!

midnite

I dunno, I think tiki stuff scores more coolness points over pirate stuff. Tikis are the official mascots of Trader Vic's, whereas pirates are the official mascots of Long John Silver's!

Then again, the Pirates of the Caribean ride is a lot more fun than the Enchanted Tiki Room.

If Pirates are going to be hip soon, I wonder if it will be just a matter of time before we see a yoga place called "Pilates of the Caribean." (Yes, I know its pronounced pee-lah-tees, but it looks like pie-lates to me)

S

Okay, Pirates are cool but "the new tiki?" C'mon! Them's fightin' words!

I don't think Tikis or Pirates would agree on that one.

Just ask any Raider fan!

I don't think you can honestly compare a ride like Pirates to a theatrical presentation like Tikis. C'mon. It's pineapples and oranges!

A

I think you can find "Pilates of the Caribbean" at Tokyo Disneyland.
-Randy

On 2002-11-29 22:19, Tikitackett wrote:
I don't think you can honestly compare a ride like Pirates to a theatrical presentation like Tikis. C'mon. It's pineapples and oranges!

Maybe your right. And maybe the Tiki Room is diferent in Orlando than it is in Anaheim.

Then again, the California Tiki Room doesn't hold up that well with repeated visits. The first time I was like "Yay, this is fun!" The second time I thought "Well, this is okay." The third time I was thinking "Why do all of these parots have European accents? I mean German? Irish? The Latin one makes sense, but the other ones might as well have Cockney, Brooklyn, or Hacidic Jewish accents. Ah, but the nonsensical accents are all part of the Tiki Room's charm! That, and singing like the birdies sing.

Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet,
Trader Rick

I'm so glad I didn't throw away those Adam Ant records I bought back in the '80's!

I haven't been to D-land Anaheim in awhile, but I heard through reliable sources that the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride has been modified so the pirates no longer auction off wenches or abuse them in any way because of polictally-correct attitude. Having ventured behind the Orange Curtain many times and observing the customs of the perdominently neo-puritan republicans that run this burg I can believe it.

Whenever the subject of Pirates comes up I can't help but think about the old ZAP Comics strip by the late/lamented S Clay Wilson "Captain Piss-Gums & The Pervert Pirates" and their continuing adventures with Captain Fatima and the crew of the "Quivering Thigh". Oh, M,god just looked out my window & saw the oldest guy I ever seen wearing a huge cowboy hat, polyester pants & white patentleather shoes...I live in such a classy neighborhood.

Chow for now,
Joey

On 2002-12-01 14:47, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Whenever the subject of Pirates comes up I can't help but think about the old ZAP Comics strip by the late/lamented S Clay Wilson "Captain Piss-Gums & The Pervert Pirates" and their continuing adventures with Captain Fatima and the crew of the "Quivering Thigh".

Wow, what a flash back! That's some nasty stuff there, matey, nothing can hold a candle to that raunch nowadays....come to think of it, THERE is a connection to Tiki:
I learned my first English through American Underground comics mailordered through Amsterdam. I had ZAP # 0 to 7, and all of R. Crumb's series, and many more, so this is the start of my English literary career in a way....

T

Back to the Sixspace Pirate Show, did you receive the snail mail invitation to the galllery show? In all my years of art shows, this takes the cake. The opening night invite is on parchment paper with caligraphy and burnt edges. I realize your from Fla., but if by chance you make the opening, ask to see an invitation. It's clever and brilliant!

just gave me an excuse to post this

The Sixspace show looks interesting. I might just go and check it out...

http://www.sixspace.com/gallery/pirate/index.html

Hey Joey, as much as you might want to, you can't blame that one on Republicans. It is the feminist left that was bitching about the abused wenches. Maybe you didn't notice, but political correctness is anathema to conservatives.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-12-03 12:38 ]

I'm one of those "neo puritan" Republicans. Whining about wench treatment at pirate shows sounds like a Femocrat deal to me. Republicans generally drink more, aren't as mad at the world, and have a sense of humor. Dat's why we keep winning :)

Trader Rick said:

Depends on how you look at it. I happened to have a rather intimate moment in the Tiki Room at Disneyland with my High School sweetheart. If you know what I mean.

Pages: 1 18 replies