Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Help please

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello everybody,
I got this wild hair to try chain saw carving tikis, so far so good made 3 and sold each one. I have a question or 10 I've been getting the stock from the side of the road, palm trunks 48-60 inches they are green 1. can they be carved green? 2. If I need to let them dry, how long? 3. What is the best coating to put on them for harsh FL weather?

Any help?

The new guy,

B

Welcome New guy, tfisherart,
In the thread at the top of the page, on the "Creating Tiki" forum you will find "Carving Post". In it you will find out All the tips and tricks to carving tiki. Creating Tiki is where all the artists , painters and wood hackers hang out. Your question has been asked and answered many times. You can also ues the "Search" bar to find Anything you want and it is REALLY FAST, so no long waits there.
Good luck and go on over and post pictures of your carvings, thatz the rools. Not really but it helps.

Aloha tfisherart! Welcome to the board. We like to see new carvers around here. It would be great to see some pix of what you've been working on - it gives us something to think about & hopefully help us all to give you some good feedback & tips. I've only carved a little palm wood, but have been thinking about doing some more soon. Personally I like it as dry as I can get it to avoid mold & other issues. I think you can carve it pretty green though. You might have to wait a while for it to dry a bit before sanding, staining, & finishing, though. There are also easy ways to get rid of mold which is no big deal. Like Ben said, try a search on any of the keywords above. Good luck!

A-A

M

TFisherart,

Welcome to TC. Alot of questions brewin in the head huh? You came to the right place. I have a pile of logs (all from the side of the road). I only pick up dense/woody (Sabal/scrub/coco) palms vs smooth (Queen/Alexander)palm
You can carve green, it really doesn't matter.

If you are selling them that fast, can you wait a few minutes on your 4th one and get a photo of it and share before it's gone?

Mahalo neighbor !!!

McTiki

Welcome to the brotherhood of the splinter. post some of you stuff and carve away.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not to good at this computer stuff and/or posting pics but I'll give it a shot.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 4:48 PM

tfisherart,

Welcome to TC! Post some pics, we want to see your creations. I'm glad to see another chainsaw artist on the boards....

-Gman

Pages: 1 6 replies