Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My greatest tiki find... tiki statue carving... need some info

Pages: 1 6 replies

So I was at the local flea market and scored this carving just a few weeks ago. I don't really know anything about him... what he is carved from, where he came from?? He is solid wood and is one heavy mutha! All the seller told me is that the tiki came from over seas. He said he knew nothing else. This is my greatest tiki find to date. Anybody know anything about him?

tj

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 1:22 AM

That tiki is a killer find! Awesome.

All I can say is that it is big and wooden! But thats not much help is it...

Dang! tiki junkman you find the coolest stuff! I gotta start hunting with you. :)
That is a awesome find my friend.

(Hey, the house next to us is up for sale, buy it and we'll start our own tiki cul-de-sac neighborhood.)

B

Tiki junkman,
Good find! Did you pick that up out at Kane County? I'm guessing it came from Bill who owns Zap Props and used to have a shop on Belmont called Toy Town. I don't know if he was importing them, or buying them at wholesale from someone, but he had several of these style Tikis in assorted sizes at his shop a while back. They are new and probably from the Philippines. Most likely carved from monkeypod, or another inexpensive hardwood. Some were pretty well done, but many were rather stiff and a little clumsy looking. The price was decent when I saw them, only the one I liked best was already sold. All that he had at that time were 3 feet or less. I was told there were some real big 'uns, but they did not have any at the time. You got a lot of Tiki there, and it looks like he found a loving home. Congrats!
-Duke

boutiki is correct!!...they import them from the phillipines...you can visit their warehouse on the southside and buy those things all day in all sizes...they have some great trader vics 4 ft replicas of their salt shakers in wood too. lots of other fun vintage collectables as well. it's a big place with alot to look at so plan on spending some time there...

gosh...LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on that guy. I never got the seller's name. Oh well.

Yup it was at the Kane County flea market.

Exotica59, I can't move! I just bought my house last year and the amount of crap I own and have since "collected" is too much to move for a while. Plus, I am about a month away from completing my home tiki bar which has been almost a year in the making. You know... there are some houses for sale around my neck of the woods... :wink:

tj

Pages: 1 6 replies