Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

cuban rum bought in mexico?

Pages: 1 43 replies

well can i bring it back?...im hoping if its just a bottle or 3 of havanna club, they'll let me, but i dont want to be hassled, anyone got any suggestions?

J

The worst they can do is pour it out (horrors!)

KK

Umm...ship it to yourself?

D

I think there is thread about this somewhere. Yes, you can legally bring back a small amount, a bottle or two I think. My wife and I go to Baja several times a year and bring back tequila and cuban rum. YUM!

J

How are you getting there?
Cruise lines are more particular than other ways. They'll keep or pour out anything they don't feel you should have. Cuban cigars, too. Every cruise line has their own policy, though.
If you are driving, I don't think it will even matter.
While you are at it, bring back some non-US Coca-Cola (the ones overseas use Cane Syrup instead of High-Fructose Corn Sweetener) and make a real Cuba Libre the way they used to taste...

You could pour it in another bottle.

im flying there, all i want is a bottle of each of the havanna clubs(i believe there are 3)...problem is, im always red flagged at the airport for the "random" search (could be the long hair and tattoos) so maybe the wifes carry on would be best. what i dont understand from reading the old thread on this subject is why do they sell this stuff in duty free stores in the airport if they dont want you to buy it......

T

On 2005-10-21 08:12, Digitiki wrote:
Yes, you can legally bring back a small amount, a bottle or two I think.

No you cannot. You can bring up to 1 liter (not much) of tequila or legal booze but you cannot bring back any Cuban rum or cigars or other products. By law they can confiscate the rum, plus if they disover it your car may be searched very thoroughly which will delay you for a long time.

From the State Dept.:

If U.S. travelers return from Cuba with Cuban origin goods, such goods, with the exception of informational materials, may be seized at Customs' discretion. [Section 515.204 of the Regulations.] Cuban cigars and rum are routinely confiscated at U.S. ports of entry. The fact that Cuban cigars and rum are purchased in a "duty free" shop at the Havana Airport does not exempt them from seizure by US customs. There are no limits on the import or export of informational materials [Section 515.206 of the Regulations]. Such materials, for example books, films, tapes and CDs, are statutorily exempt from regulation under the embargo and may be transported freely. However, blank tapes and CDs are not considered informational materials and may be seized.

That's not to say I have not successfully brought back several bottles of cuban rum in my luggage driving across. I told the border agent I had a bottle of tequila when they asked if I was bringing anything across.

welp, it looks like wilma is smashing the place we were supposed to go to next weekend, so maybe im not going after all......

T

You can always come over to my house if you want some!

Got it at Casa de Ferretta as well...

On 2005-10-21 10:01, hala bullhiki wrote:
all i want is a bottle of each of the havanna clubs(i believe there are 3)...

Sorry but there's 5 that I know of

shit, thanks, i thought it was just a white,gold and dark, do they have aged ones as well??

Anejo Blanco - white rum
Anejo 3 Anos - Very light yellow rum
Anejo Especial - Golden rum
Anejo Reserva - Dark (ish) rum
Anejo 7 Anos - Dark (ish). This is the best tasting in my opinion.

Mahalo

How are you coming to/from Mexico? If you are flying, you can stash the rum in your baggage. You have to declare all of this to customs, but they don't always check the baggage for items. I've declared and brought back 4 bottles of Jamaican rum from Ocho Rios, and customs never even checked them. And I've known people (not me, of course) to bring back Cuban cigars stashed in baggage which customs didn't even bother to check.

If you are driving across the border, they also may not check. But if you are walking across, then that is the greatest chance they will check what you have.

BTW, I think customs changed the rules, and you can now bring 1.5 liter of alcohol per adult aged 21 or over. So if you go with a significant other and you are both over 21, you can bring back 3 liters without paying extra. One final thing, 60% of the Cuban cigars you buy in Tijuana (and I presume in many other Mexican border cities) are fakes. This was reported in the local San Diego press some years ago. I presume the Cuban rum is the real thing, but caveat emptor.

I have never got a clear explanation of the law as it applies to Cuban products that are purchased outside of Cuba as in your case, Mexico. The last time I was in Quebec I brought back a bottle of Havana Club. At the border I was honest but not too specific. When asked I said that I had a couple of bottles of liquor and some chocolate. The customs agent opened the back of the minivan, looked around and closed it. The bottle was in plain view and he didn't say anything. Next time I'm going for two. I think if you limit yourself to a couple of bottles they won't say anything and if they do take it, you're not out that much.

Two things I would not do:

1. Ship it to yourself
  2. Try to hide it

Although, decanting it into a legal rum bottle would probably work fine... But then you don't have the Havana Club bottle sitting up there on your bar.

D

I haven't read any legal wording on this issue, but it is my understanding that "officially" Cuban products are banned from the U.S. (at least for direct sales and commercial importation). However, I have had a few friends who have actually traveled to Cuba (during the Clinton administration, when travel restrictions were looser). They were legally able to bring back a small amount of Cuban Rum and cigars (can't remember how much, but it was very limiting on the number of cigars). The thing to remember is this rule of thumb:
You are legitimately purhcasing a legal product in the country you are visiting (Canada, Mexico, etc.) AND that legal product should have to follow U.S. customs laws for the country of purchase (excluding illegal drugs and weapons of course). Therefore, if you are legally allowd to bring back 1 2 bottles of booze from Mexico, the Cuban rum should count. As I stated in a previous thread on this subject, my wife and I go to Mexico and frequently bring back 2 bottles of Havan Club 7 year old rum. Not a single problem. Besides, customs officials are way to busy looking for narcotics and the like.

T

On 2005-10-26 23:46, tikipedia wrote:
BTW, I think customs changed the rules, and you can now bring 1.5 liter of alcohol per adult aged 21 or over. So if you go with a significant other and you are both over 21, you can bring back 3 liters without paying extra.

The law in California has not changed. It is (from the State of CA web site):

California adult residents returning from Mexico by motor vehicle or on foot may only bring in one liter of alcoholic beverages (the duty-free amount) for personal or household use.

The law varies for non-California citizens returning through California, or citizens of California returning through other states. For example, Californians returning through texas can bring up to 4 liters.

But just so nobody misundertands, these limits apply to legal puchases only. No cuban rum can be brought back legally into the US unless you have a government issued permit to travel to Cuba, in which case you may bring back up to $100 worth (in US dollars?) of Cuban rum or cigars or both.

The law was not more lenient under Clinton. Since 1982 the law bans Americans from spending money in Cuba and has not changed, so bringing back rum from Cuba is proof that you spent money there. However, under Bush the issuance of permits to travel there legally were restricted, so that many non-profits that traveled to Cuba to do volunteer work or scientific study with legal permits during the Clinton administration are unable to get permits now. And some people have said that customs have been searching luggage more frequently since Bush was "elected", which is probably a result of increased security after 9/11 more than any other reason.

I don't want to get into another discussion on whether the US law against American travel to Cuba is right or wrong, as it has been discussed to death here before, but I'm going to Cuba next year, legal or not!

On 2005-10-27 11:08, thejab wrote:
The law varies for non-California citizens returning through California, or citizens of California returning through other states. For example, Californians returning through texas can bring up to 4 liters.

I found the scoop on the U.S. Customs website:
Importing Duty Free Items.
U.S. Customs imposes no limit on the amount of alcohol you can bring in for personal use, but if you bring in more than 1 liter per adult, you will have to pay a tax. Also, on top of that restriction, each state may impose restrictions somebody is allowed to bring in.

D

Jab,
I didn't say the law on customs was any different under Clinton, I said the travel restriction to Cuba were more lenientin terms of actually being allowed into the country. And it was. I remember the flap from Cuban-Americans being upset that the US was "lightening up" on the Castro gov.

But here is my other question/issue. I don't buy that brining back Cuban rum from Mexico is proof that you traveled to Cuba while in Mexico. It is still a legal purchase IN Mexico of a product that is legal IN Mexico. If I go to Canada and purchase Chinese silk, that does not prove that I traveled to China while in Canada.

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2005-10-28 09:06 ]

Take it from me guys, I am a contraband expert in regards to Mexico.
IF you purchase any REAL Havana Club Rum in Mexico, and US Customs eyes it in your gear they will seize it. Period.
Hear is the rub. If you passed all the amnesty boxes and did not drop...if they ask you to declare..and you did not..then you're screwed. Not only will they take your product they will detain you just to screw with your head. They can cite and fine you. The real pain is from that point on, every time you hit a customs check point anywhere, you are "flagged" and you will always be searched.
Most customs officials know that the "Cuban" cigars you paid $15.00 US a stick for are nothing more than fa-key Mexicano Te-Amos with clever wrappers. I did find a legit Havana Dealer in Mexicali, and one in Juarez...Most are pure BS. Chances are you will get away with it..good luck.
I worry more about smuggling vintage Classified Growth Clarets down there to my restaurant owner buyers. If the Mexican Customs officials catch me usurping their tremendous incise tax on wine, I am in real CRIMINAL trouble.

Every time I go to Montreal I buy a few pounds of Cuban coffee. Even though there are no laws about bringing Cuban items into the states from Mexico or Canada, I always put it in another coffee bag so there are no questions asked.
I found some great 'Cuban style' rum in Miami supposedly made by Cubans living in Florida. Pretty damn good!

Okay, I'm talking about people from California driving and/or walking into Tijuana and back here.

If you gotta have the cuban rum, after purchasing it in TJ, just decant the rum into a Bacardi bottle. Bring empty Bacardi bottles with you for this purpose. They don't search you when going from U.S. into Mexico. (Make sure the white cuban rum goes into the white Bacardi rum bottle, and vice versa.) No problem. The US Customs agents are NOT going to be able to tell the difference, and they're NOT going to bother "testing" your rum if you're bringing a few bottles in for personal use. They're looking for narcotics.

True, you won't be able to impress your friends with the cuban rum bottle sitting behind your home bar. But you can always tell your friends it's Cuban rum. As a matter fact, don't even bother going to Mexico, just serve your friends Bacardi and tell them that's illegal Cuban rum you poured into a Bacardi bottle in order to sneak it over the border. They'll think you're the next best thing to James Frickin' Bond.

I recently took a chance and purchased some bottles of Havana Club 7 Anos on eBay. I couldn't believe it was actually available there--part of me worried that it was some sort of elaborate sting operation, though the seller had pages full of positive feedback and appeared legit. After shipping it came out to around $35 per bottle--a little high, maybe, but I've paid as much for top-tier rums at BevMo so I figured the price was reasonable. The bottles arrived safe and sound a week later, sealed, with an official Cuban government sticker on each one. I broke one out for the Rocket from the Crypt show on Halloween night and, yes, it was the same nectar of the Gods that I'd enjoyed numerous times in Mexico. Mission accomplished.

I'm tempted to try it in a Mai Tai, but I don't know--the stuff is so good straight that putting it in a mixed drink seems to defeat the purpose. What do you all think?

T
thejab posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 1:12 PM

Wow, I never thought of looking for Cuban rum on Ebay. Great find! I think it is worth the price even if the same bottle sells for half that in Mexico.

My opinion is that no rum is too good for a Mai Tai! It's fine to use good rum because a proper Mai Tai is all about letting the rum flavor come through by not overdoing the other ingredients. And you should make it with fresh lime and the best orange curacao and orgeat you can find.

On 2005-11-06 11:23, DrMiguelito wrote:
I recently took a chance and purchased some bottles of Havana Club 7 Anos on eBay. I'm tempted to try it in a Mai Tai, but I don't know--the stuff is so good straight that putting it in a mixed drink seems to defeat the purpose. What do you all think?

Havana Club 7 Anos and El Dorado 15 year together make fantastic Mai Tai's. Believe me, I've had a few.

save yourself the trouble...if you're local, stop by delilah's bar here in the city..they have plenty of cuban rums including some contraband items...it's very good and some it is quite a few years old....

D

Wow! I've driven down to Mexico several times and purchased Havana Club 7 Anos (very good!!!). I've always come across with it- no prob. The boarder agents ask if we are bringing anything back and I always say "yes a couplbe of bottles of liquor". To this day, they have never asked to see it. Half the time, they don't even ask if we are bringing anything back or not. Even walking across the boarder in San Diego/Tijuana region, never been stopped for having Cuban rum - ever! And I make no attempt to hide it either.

I use the same technique as Digitiki but from Canada. Which I'm going to try again next month. Going to go for a couple of bottles this time. I'll let you know how I make out.

well, our trip got rescheduled for december, so looks like ill get to try some then, and yeah dave, i know mike at delilah's has the goods, but i was hoping to have some for the home bar....

D

On 2005-10-21 08:43, JonPez wrote:
While you are at it, bring back some non-US Coca-Cola (the ones overseas use Cane Syrup instead of High-Fructose Corn Sweetener) and make a real Cuba Libre the way they used to taste...

Kosher-for-Passover Coke is made with sugar -- not corn syrup -- just like in the old days... if you've got a grocery store in a Jewish neighborhood ~ take a look! here in seattle, some of the QFCs and Albertsons carry it.

A

On 2006-04-08 21:32, dogbytes wrote:

On 2005-10-21 08:43, JonPez wrote:

Kosher-for-Passover Coke is made with sugar -- not corn syrup -- just like in the old days... if you've got a grocery store in a Jewish neighborhood ~ take a look! here in seattle, some of the QFCs and Albertsons carry it.

I think you'll find that a lot of stores in communities along the border carry sugar cane Coke.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 6:33 PM

Aloha amigos! I am having so much fun reading all your "gringo loco" adventures to get some Cuban Rum. As a matter of fact, I am drinking some of the precious nectar right now... In Mexico City, "En las rocas" of course... So, any new legislation on the subject? It is amazing that in this day and age, there is still prohibitions like this... In a way, I kinda like it... remnants of the old world... pre globalized and boring. O.K. back to my drink, cheers! :drink:

Greetings Zeta:
Sure, the Cuban Embargo makes no sense, and like any other useless or stupid law makes any law abiding citizen perhaps a little less likely to respect the rule of law in general.

But on the positive side as an citizen of the U.S. when I have occasion to enjoy some Havana Club, the combination of a fine rum and forbidden fruit make for a most enjoyable beverage!

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:26 AM

Badpelican, you betcha!

Part of the selection of rums they sell in most liquor stores.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:27 AM

How rare are these in the U.S.?

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:30 AM

I am getting thirsty...

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:31 AM

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:32 AM

Mmm...

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:36 AM

O.K. I am getting a drink, It's already 6:34 A.M. on a Tuesday...

RB

I'm curious about this "Captain Morgan" spiced rum in one of those pictures...is it any good? :roll:

A

On 2009-03-17 07:43, Rum Balls wrote:
I'm curious about this "Captain Morgan" spiced rum in one of those pictures...is it any good? :roll:

Every time you drink it for some reason you lift your leg. Hydrants beware.

I

You can get Captain Morgan spiced rum here in the states. I think it is extremely sweet...and to me, disgusting. For rum, that is. Now if you like drinking amaretto and stuff like that, then the Captain is for you.

I did like Captain Morgan earlier on...before I tasted demerara. Now, no more Captain.

RB

In case you missed the "rolling eyes" emoticon, I was being sarcastic about Captain Morgan. Cheers!

Pages: 1 43 replies